Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Steve Conner (46)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

500W Audiomod PLL SSTC

Move Thread LAN_403
Mates
Fri Dec 07 2007, 03:28PM
Mates Registered Member #1025 Joined: Sun Sept 23 2007, 07:53PM
jmartis wrote ...

Yea I too wondered about the power thing.. With 500W I can get 6-8" white hot arc from flyback, but from SSTC at the same power I hardly get 3-4" white-purple spark at CW or ~5-6" purple spark with halfwave input. The spark from the SSTC looks like it has much less power than the one from a flyback.

I think you are mixing sparks and streamers... Otherwise I can not imagine fly-back giving 8"streamers... You can compare TC and fly-back when the TC is sparking (rather "plasming") against the ground like here Link2 that's cca 450W... But anyway, the fly-back efficiency seems higher also in my hands...
Tom540
Fri Dec 07 2007, 04:28PM
Tom540 Banned on 3/17/2009.
Registered Member #487 Joined: Sun Jul 09 2006, 01:22AM
My first sstc would draw 12 amps from the line and had a full bridge w/voltage doubler. I could get 15 inch sparks in CW. I have a video but it's sideways and i cant find a program that will rotate it 90 degrees without squashing it.
Steve Ward
Sat Dec 08 2007, 07:41AM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
How are you guys measuring the current? My CW coil used about 7kVA to do over *2 feet* of CW plasma... so 6" at 3kW is downright lousy :P. 6" of CW plasma should be about 1kW or so id say.
Sat Dec 08 2007, 08:34AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
As stated in the first post, it is the current being drawn off the dc filter cap. I haven't put a current probe in the line, but there should be enough decoupling caps on the bridge that the meter is reading the true power.

I think that the reason for the short sparks has to do with some of the work Terry was doing, which showed that for a streamer to be long it has to be both a high enough voltage and a high enough power. This coil puts out tons of power, but relativley little voltage (it has a hard time breaking out from a 3/8" piece of copper pipe). As a result, the streamers are short but roasting hot.

That means that I could probably increase spark length considerably with a better resonator, but for a democoil (at least the demos I am doing... ) 6" of spark is more then enough, so I am happy as it is.
Steve Ward
Sat Dec 08 2007, 08:07PM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
As stated in the first post, it is the current being drawn off the dc filter cap. I haven't put a current probe in the line, but there should be enough decoupling caps on the bridge that the meter is reading the true power.

How much capacitance do you have at the bridge? Also, do you have any way of measuring the RF primary current? Homemade CTs work fine here... I worry that if you are using a DMM, the RF current between your bulk filtering and the bridge may be significantly affecting it.

Im really curious if you are consuming that much power in such a short arc, because it sort of messes up my understanding of the impedance of an arc produced by a tesla coil. What is the operating frequency of the coil? I know spark length per watt is dependent on the frequency too, since the capacitance of the arc is an increasing load as frequency goes up.
Reaching
Sat Dec 08 2007, 08:21PM
Reaching Registered Member #76 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 10:04AM
yeah steve is right. i was curious about the the 3kW too.
my new 13,5mhz vttc is drawing around 600watts at full power and i get white hot streamers which are about 5 to 8 cm long, .. at 13,5mhz CW!! not at 250khz or so according to your secondary..

my vttc coil has 28 turns of 1,5mm² wire and the discharge is hot enough to melt the 1,5mm² copper on the topload within seconds. 4mm² is fine there ,,,only "red hot"
Sat Dec 08 2007, 08:36PM
There are 2x 2ufd caps on the bridge, and I am using a mechanical ammeter. The power into variac blows the 15a breaker on a power strip after a few minutes...

It is running at 319kHz (maybe a little lower with that top load)

I did have a CT on the primary coil for a little while, I was seeing about 50A p-p (although that was with a really rough calibration on the ct). The primary could be improved a little, right now it is loose wound and up about an inch on the secondary. (tuned for max current into the bridge). I suspect that I could do a helical coil with a few more turns and keep the power about the same due to higher coupling.

I am getting a nice 2 channel 100Ms/s DSO for Christmas, so I should be able to post some nice shots of everything that is going on next month wink

The secondary base current is about 500ma p-p for those who care. I am considering running a dedicated ground for it to see if that helps at all, right now there is about 50ft of wire between it and the house's ground. I don't expect much. Next time I run it I will put a few light bulbs on top and see how much current is actually being fed into the plasma. Not sure how one would go about measuring the voltage up there...
Sun Feb 24 2008, 10:22AM
UPDATES:

I could have sworn that I called the coil done back in December, but it just seems to keep changing...

The most notable events are:
*A new case was build out of hardwood, and a new cover made out of Plexiglas to replace the original Plexiglas box that looked like it was made by a stoned 2 year old.
*Several new secondaries have been wound for it, all on a 4" diameter by 11" tall wound with 32awg wire. They were all done using a new technique with I am going to put in another thread, which produced coils that have a thin paper former. I kept getting arcovers from the primary supports, so I have had to wind 3 of them now (and the current one is damaged and needs to be replaced).
*To solve the arcover problems the secondary was lowered 3/8"
*A soft start relay circuit was added as to eliminate the need for a variac--now you just plug in power/audio and go
*The audio source was changed from a cheep mp3 player to my laptop, which outputs a much greater voltage, and allowed for much better audio to be produced. I still need to design some kind of preamp so I can go back to the mp3 player, but for now I am using a sony clie' which has a reasonable audio output but is not capable of driving the coil into clipping
*The tuning in general has caused power consumption to drop to about 5a, and likewise spark length has been reduced to about 3". This led to a quieter spark that is still big enough for a small room of people to see it and a produce a sufficient level of audio (about equivalent to a set of laptop speakers in both quality and volume).

Some pics:
The secondary wound over a layer of paper on a temporary former, and with the former removed
1203847941 56 FT35510 Winding 1203847965 56 FT35510 Papercoil

overall system streaming music over wifi, and a pic with the plastic cover on (but an old resonator and rats nest of wire)
1203846255 56 FT35510 Overall1 1203846279 56 FT35510 Overall2

Playing with a piece of quartz tubing from a broken xenon flashlamp
Small Small

And of course some streamer pics
1203847411 56 FT35510 Sparks7 1203847451 56 FT35510 Sparks6
1203847476 56 FT35510 Sparks5 1203847511 56 FT35510 Sparks4

I have a few videos of the coil operating with audio modulation, but I need to compress them down to something reasonable in size and get them hosted here. The output volume is about enough to fill a classroom with audio, and the quality is about the same as a laptop's speakers. Turning on an equaliser to give and extra 15db or so boost at the lower frequencies and roll of the higher ones helps a lot. It is also possible to take the instability of the pll circuit and drive the coil right at the break between +/- 90deg tuning, which gives a result very similar to an interrupted coil (drsstc, etc). The streamers are about 1" long with no audio in and then shoot to a good 4" long spindly streamer when you start to feed it sound (of course in this mode it works best to play only a few chords at a time). The audio in that mode sounds like crap (as do all interrupted coils), but it is still fun to play with. I would assume it is also very hard on the fets.
uzzors2k
Fri Mar 14 2008, 04:03PM
uzzors2k Registered Member #95 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:57PM
Wonderful streamer pictures! The sound quality of your coil is better than mine, despite your discharge being larger, gj.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: