Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Light LED with 4 nanoamps

1 2 3 4  last
Move Thread LAN_403
Zamboni
Wed Jun 18 2014, 08:09PM
Zamboni Registered Member #2836 Joined: Fri Apr 30 2010, 01:24PM
Thank you all so much for your help.
Rich, you were right. Only experimentation will solve this issue. My end result was that I can't get a neon to light. I was able to get an LED to light...though so dimly that you need almost total darkness to see it.
I will update if I find a way.

Paul
klugesmith
Thu Jun 19 2014, 04:35AM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
Paul,
You said your picoammeter indicates about 4 nA when connected directly to battery.
When the leads are reversed, do you observe similar magnitude with opposite sign?
This is analogous to checking the offset voltage of a sensitive voltmeter by reversing the leads.

What does the meter show when the neon lamp, or the LED, is in series?

What does it show when the 3.3 nF capacitor is in series? That ought to start out looking like the short circuit case. Then current should decrease as the capacitor charges, until we reach equilibrium between battery resistance and capacitor leakage. Time constant approx 150 Gohm * 3.3 nF = 495 seconds (no need to use a calculator or even pencil and paper for that one). smile
You could also monitor the capacitor voltage with your electrostatic voltmeter.

I've never personally worked with such low currents, but know that leakage over the surface of insulators (esp. if there's any ionic contamination) can be a problem.
ZakWolf
Thu Jun 19 2014, 06:56AM
ZakWolf Registered Member #3114 Joined: Sat Aug 14 2010, 08:33AM
darlington pair???
Zamboni
Thu Jun 19 2014, 02:34PM
Zamboni Registered Member #2836 Joined: Fri Apr 30 2010, 01:24PM
Rich,
Thank you for your helpful suggestions. I had a couple of questions...

You said your picoammeter indicates about 4 nA when connected directly to battery.
When the leads are reversed, do you observe similar magnitude with opposite sign?
This is analogous to checking the offset voltage of a sensitive voltmeter by reversing the leads.

*****I was under the (perhaps mistaken) impression that you never hook up a battery with no load onto an ammeter. When I do my amp testing, it is always through a load. In my case, the load is my horizontal pendulum. You are suggesting that I hook up the battery directly to the pico-ammeter, with no load ?
I have switched the leads (by accident) and did get the negative, it was slightly different, but extremely close.

What does the meter show when the neon lamp, or the LED, is in series?

*****I have never tried that. I will give it a try and let you know. I found out that a neon bulb has about a megaohm of resistance, unfortunately, that is like a direct short to this type of battery. The LED would be a very interesting experiment. I will try it.

What does it show when the 3.3 nF capacitor is in series? That ought to start out looking like the short circuit case. Then current should decrease as the capacitor charges, until we reach equilibrium between battery resistance and capacitor leakage. Time constant approx 150 Gohm * 3.3 nF = 495 seconds (no need to use a calculator or even pencil and paper for that one).
You could also monitor the capacitor voltage with your electrostatic voltmeter.

*****I will try that also. Your figure of 495 seconds tracks very nicely with my experience. By the way...I would have needed paper, a calculator and the Internet to figure that out wink

I've never personally worked with such low currents, but know that leakage over the surface of insulators (esp. if there's any ionic contamination) can be a problem.

*****I can tell you that there are many interesting and very stressful problems with currents this low. Most people would have had the good sense to abandon this project years ago. I am just too stubborn (or maybe too stupid) to give up. Now that I have succeeded, the joy of watching my Devices operate makes it all seem worth it.

Paul
Newton Brawn
Fri Jun 20 2014, 03:47AM
Newton Brawn Registered Member #3343 Joined: Thu Oct 21 2010, 04:06PM
Hi,

If the battery can charge the capacitor with 1500V, the energy storaged in the 0.0033 uF capacitor could be 0.5 . 0.0033 . 1500^2 . 0.000001 = 3.7mJ.

This energy may be switched by the pendulun, modified to act as a normaly open contact, that moves by the electrostatic force... Is the pendulun acting as a switch send the energy to a converter that provides low voltage to a neon or LED.

Such energy may fed a converter that provides low voltage to the neon Assuming that a led or neon consumption is in the range of of 0.005 watts, the lamp can glow 0.0037/0.005 = 0.7 seconds..

By construction, I believe that the pendulun has insulation very high, much better than solid state switches, neon lamp or LED...

It looks like a dream, please forgive-me.

EDIT "0.0033 uF"
Steve Conner
Fri Jun 20 2014, 10:19AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Buck converter with pendulum switch? Nice idea :)
Newton Brawn
Fri Jun 20 2014, 09:14PM
Hi Steve,

The idea is simple circuit where the battery charge the capacitor, and when the cap is full charge the eletrostatic force moves the pendulum (as a electroscope foil) that makes contact with the other terminal, discharging the cap to the converter.

The converter then start switching and feed the bulb for one second or less.

Someone may advise what is the minimal current that a NE2 or LED provides a visible flash ?

Regards

Antonio
Mon Jun 23 2014, 02:31AM
Antonio Registered Member #834 Joined: Tue Jun 12 2007, 10:57PM
Some calculations to see if it's viable to light a LED using a DC/DC converter using the pendulum as switch:
Let's assume that a LED can produce a visible flash with 1 mA, a flash lasting for 0.1 s, and the voltage drop in the LED as 1.7 V. This requires the energy E=1.7*1e-3*0.1=170e-6 joules (170 uJ).
A capacitor storing this energy at 450 V shall have the capacitance C=170e-6/(0.5*450^2)=1.7e-9 farads (1.7 nF).
A pile producing 4 nA charges 1.7 nF to 450 V in t=1.7e-9*450/4e-9=191 seconds.
Too long time.
Reducing the time of the flash to 0.01 s reduces the energy to 17 uJ and the capacitor to 170 pF. This capacitor can be charged in 19.1 seconds. Less bad, but the flash would be not very visible.
The converter could be a buck circuit, using an inductor and a low leakage diode, powering directly the LED.
Bored Chemist
Mon Jun 23 2014, 07:46PM
Bored Chemist Registered Member #193 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 07:04AM
The easiest thing to look at would be to connect an LED (or several) in series with the neon lamp of a neon oscillator.
Compared to the non conducting state of the bulb, they will just look like a conductor. but, when the neon strikes they will carry the current so they should light up. The current spike will be quite large, but very brief so it might not damage the LED- in principle, a small resistor could limit the current to a mA or so. ( A megohm is a small resistance in this sort of circuit)
I strongly suspect that the neon will last longer than the LED in this configuration, but it would be interesting to find out if it works.

Another approach, albeit one that doesn't address the real question of what to do with "dud" batteries would be to include two LEDs between the capacitor plates and the moving contact so the swinging pendulum switches the current through the LED directly.

In any event, those a really cool items.

Newton Brawn
Fri Jul 04 2014, 11:08PM
Zamboni

See this thread

Link2

The coupling of the source and the lamp is made with a air gap. As the source has a capacitance, the discharge is made when there is enough energy in the source. and the energy storaged in the cap cam turn the lamp on.

Maybe you can try this arrangment to get some flash in the neon or led
 1 2 3 4  last

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: