All today's birthdays', congrats!
Linas (34)
Toasty (29)

Next birthdays
05/16 kg7bz (68)
05/16 steve516 (31)
05/17 Finn Hammer (72)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Gravitational waves: have US scientists heard echoes of the big bang?

Move Thread LAN_403
Finn Hammer
Tue Mar 18 2014, 10:23PM
Finn Hammer Registered Member #205 Joined: Sat Feb 18 2006, 11:59AM
Confined in the dark, narrow cage of our own making that we take for the whole universe, very few of us can even begin to imagine another dimension of mind. Patrul Rinpoche tells the story of an old frog who had lived all his life in a dark well. One day a frog from the sea paid him a visit.
“Where do you come from?” asked the frog in the well.
“From the great ocean,” he replied.
“How big is your ocean?”
“It’s gigantic.”
“You mean about a quarter of the size of my well here?”
“Bigger.”
“Bigger? You mean half as big?”
“No, even bigger.”
“Is it . . . as big as this well?”
“There’s no comparison.”
“That’s impossible! I’ve got to see this for myself.”
They set off together. When the frog from the well saw the ocean, it was such a shock that his head just exploded into pieces.
------------------------------------------ -------
Something similar may happen to humans, if the true nature of the universe is revealed.

Cheers, Finn Hammer
Shrad
Wed Mar 19 2014, 08:20AM
Shrad Registered Member #3215 Joined: Sun Sept 19 2010, 08:42PM
one should read Vellum and Ink, the two volumes of The Book of All Hours from Hal Duncan

this is a bit related, I think, and many of you would love the style and verve of the author...

beware, though, as it is one of the most complex things to read I ever saw in terms of complexity and subtlety...
Conundrum
Fri Apr 25 2014, 08:26AM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Interesting,
Here's hoping someone invents a gravity wave detector that isn't fifty miles in diameter.
Proud Mary
Fri Apr 25 2014, 11:53AM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
I have thought for some time that we are quite blind to the likely existence of Super Low Frequency waves - waves of less than 300 mHz.

It is not hard to imagine some colossal stellar galactic process whereby a ribbon of gas plasma 3 million km long - rotating gas spirals perhaps - is excited to resonance and thereby sets up a train of 100 mHz waves, but how could we detect them?

Our minds are perhaps trapped within the scale of our own frame of reference, so that we would consider a 100 mHz wave to be 'slowly varying DC' and therefor not think about the information that such waves might carry about the nature and structure of vast astronomical phenomena that might generate waves at such a frequency.
Ash Small
Fri Apr 25 2014, 01:39PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
There's something I'm not clear about here. The gravitational waves supposedly detected are electromagnetic by nature, yet gravity isn't electromagnetic by nature, as I understand it. What does this electromagnetic radiation have to do with gravity? how are they 'caused' by gravity? I understand that gravity supposedly 'bends' space, thus 'focussing' EM radiation, but the article suggests that these waves are 'caused' by gravity.

What am I missing here?
Proud Mary
Fri Apr 25 2014, 02:11PM
Ash Small wrote ...

There's something I'm not clear about here. The gravitational waves supposedly detected are electromagnetic by nature, yet gravity isn't electromagnetic by nature, as I understand it. What does this electromagnetic radiation have to do with gravity? how are they 'caused' by gravity? I understand that gravity supposedly 'bends' space, thus 'focussing' EM radiation, but the article suggests that these waves are 'caused' by gravity.

What am I missing here?

I should have made myself clearer, Ash. I didn't mean to suggest that gravity waves (about which I know very little) were identical with EM waves, but tried to show how our scale of reference could interfere with our understanding and interpretation of natural phenomena.
Ash Small
Fri Apr 25 2014, 03:15PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
It's not just what you said, PM, BICEP measures polarization of microwaves, from what I can make out

"BICEP (Background Imaging of Cosmic Extragalactic Polarization) is an experiment designed to measure the polarization of the cosmic microwave background (CMB) to unprecedented precision, and in turn answer crucial questions about the beginnings of the Universe. BICEP operates at 100 GHz and 150 GHz at angular resolutions of 1.0° and 0.7°, respectively, with an array of 98 polarization-sensitive detectors, mapping a large region of the sky around the South Celestial Pole." Link2

I'm just wondering how polarization of microwaves (EM radiation) can be interpreted as 'proof' (or evidence) of gravitational waves, which presumably aren't electromagnetic by nature. I assume the polarization must have something to do with space being 'bent' by gravity, either that, or the source of the EM radiation is affected by gravitational waves. None of the sources quoted above seem to mention any of the suspected mechanism involved.
Proud Mary
Fri Apr 25 2014, 05:08PM
I don't know anythying about it, Ash, and so haven't really got anything to contribute, thought I did find this on the UK STFC website, which touched upon my ideas about scale:

"Detection of a second polarisation mode, B-mode, is now a high priority. The interest stems from the possibility of using the entire universe as a gravity wave detector. Gravity waves present in the universe at the time of decoupling of radiation from matter will have left an imprint in the CMB. This imprint would be in the form of B-mode polarisation, a distinctive pattern of polarisation vectors on the sky with magnetic field-like negative parity.

"The candidate sources of gravity waves in the early universe are events such as breaking of fundamental symmetries (e.g. electroweak, GUT), processes that spawn distortions in space-time known as 'topological defects', or violent cosmological events such as inflation and reheating. Detecting any of these cosmological gravity waves would have a very high scientific impact and is one of the 'holy grails' of gravitational wave experiments. The CMB polarisation signal is expected to be strongest on the largest angular scales. Therefore the gravity waves probed correspond to wave periods on the order of the Hubble time. These frequencies are much lower and the distance scales much larger than those probed by gravity wave interferometers such as LIGO and LISA (km scales). CMB polarisation experiments are the only known way to detect these phenomena. An additional advantage is that there are, by definition, no events in the post-recombination universe that can generate gravity waves on the scales probed by the CMB, so any detected signal has to be of primordial origin."
Andy
Sat Apr 26 2014, 03:35AM
Andy Registered Member #4266 Joined: Fri Dec 16 2011, 03:15AM

I'm just wondering how polarization of microwaves (EM radiation) can be interpreted as 'proof' (or evidence) of gravitational waves, which presumably aren't electromagnetic by nature. I assume the polarization must have something to do with space being 'bent' by gravity, either that, or the source of the EM radiation is affected by gravitational waves. None of the sources quoted above seem to mention any of the suspected mechanism involved.
I think its not so much that EM waves are gravity, but that you can use EM fields to workout the area that objects occupied in space, less area they occupied with the ratio not changing much from mass from atoms down, like 100 fold, compared to million> fold for area, that objects that occupied smaller areas in space are EM sources(electrons/protons/neutrons(in a around about way have EM, as we know the mass/size/speed in areas etc)), more squashed they become more gravity distortion happens, and more amplification of EM.
Atoms of hydrogen and lead would occupier the same area in space at the default levels, changing so hydrogen takes up less room in space will allow other hydrogen atoms to move closer increasing the gravity, to allow hydrogen to have a smaller area you need EM sources, say to speed up the electron orbit, but keep other variables the same, like mass,distance eg, but it doesn't need to be a circle orbit as a straight line is just a larger circle, so particle accelerators would lower the space that what it fired to occupied.
Gravity isn't so much mass, as hydrogen in a small space can be heavier than lead, and isn't really speed ether.
The volume that some thing has like atoms or the sun, occupier pretty much the same area in space, even thought the sun is larger than a atom, the area is about the same, unless the sun can change the structure of atoms, to allow the individual parts to get closer and smaller area then the gravity of the sun, and gravity of a electron, the electron would have more gravity/per volume, if you got the same number of electrons as atoms in the sun and put the electrons into the same volume the electron sun would have more gravity, if you keeped the same number, but squashed the volume, it would still have the same gravity, but if the electrons then took up less area in space, the gravity would increase and random chances the electron sun would have some of it as smaller area occupied, if that makes sense dead

Just a opinion,how i think it works.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: