All today's birthdays', congrats!
Linas (34)
Toasty (29)

Next birthdays
05/16 kg7bz (68)
05/16 steve516 (31)
05/17 Finn Hammer (72)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Recieving GPS In High Radiation Fields... (Among Other Unfavorable Situations.)

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Patrick
Thu Apr 10 2014, 01:55AM Print
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
im investigating the use of GPS for unmanned flying systems, monitoring 500kV AC lines and Fukushima tank farms, and the Chernobyl sarcophagus, as well as Hanford, Bhopal, love canal, salton sea and similar sites.

but im skeptical about GPS, its usefulness when its working i dont doubt, but the situations when it wont work could be of profound importance when human life is at stake.

so my question: when within 3 - 100 feet of a ultra high voltage power line, like a 500kV transmission line, would the delicate and sensitive GPS signals get drowned out around the EM/RFI noise of an HV wire?

and next would the same be true about gamma, beta, alpha and x-ray fields, either "light" (not being insulting) fields all the way up to high intensity particulate and emissive fields like a fully open weapon core or reactor core?
2Spoons
Thu Apr 10 2014, 05:01AM
2Spoons Registered Member #2939 Joined: Fri Jun 25 2010, 04:25AM
The spreading codes used in GPS signalling are designed to get around the noise issue. In the situation you describe you should have a good, wide sky view and therefore a good "strong"signal. GPS occupies a band roughly 6MHz wide centred on 1.5GHz. I would think this was well away from the sort of noise you'd get on HV lines.
The hard radiation I'm not so sure about - but i would have thought the effect would be to upset the silicon directly - so it could affect microcontrollers as well as GPs recievers.
Shrad
Thu Apr 10 2014, 06:51AM
Shrad Registered Member #3215 Joined: Sun Sept 19 2010, 08:42PM
I'd say the same

You wouldn't harm the GPS signal in itself but your infrastructure, which would either suffer from unwanted logic triggering, gain modification, avalanche effects or inductive effects
Dr. Slack
Thu Apr 10 2014, 07:43AM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
What you're worried about is a standard problem known in receiver engineering as 'blocking', where a strong signal upsets the receiver so it can't receive the wanted one.

In your case, the collosal difference in frequency between the wanted signal (1 ish GHz) and the unwanted (50Hz) means that the GPS antenna is certainly going to be a good enough filter to effectively eliminate any 50Hz at the reciver input. Where you might be less lucky is with the higher frequency effects of any corona etc.

The other way into a receiver is through wiring, unsheilded areas etc, and again the low frequency should mean that coupling into any of those things should be very inefficient.

You could try recreating the sorts of field gradients you expect next to a power line with an NST on the bench, and see it it malfunctions in that field, though that's not going to help you with RF unique to high voltage lines.

There is a systematic way to harden a receiver against strong signals outside your band
a) low-pass filter data and power lines in/out of a sheilded container round the radio
b) band-pass filter the antenna connection with a tight filter around your wanted frequency (should be possible to buy standard GPS filters)

If that doesn't work because there's interference in-band, then you've done all you can with a commercial grade receiver.

Shrad
Thu Apr 10 2014, 12:55PM
Shrad Registered Member #3215 Joined: Sun Sept 19 2010, 08:42PM
I'd use a tesla coil with a massive topload to eliminate breakout and maximize radiated energy, all inside a faraday cage, for testing against corona

I'd use a range of x-ray and electron emitters for some soft radiation testing

I'd try to focus an x-ray beam at a hafnium target to generate harder radiation, but that's not my field ^^
Patrick
Thu Apr 10 2014, 05:02PM
Dr. Slack wrote ...

Where you might be less lucky is with the higher frequency effects of any corona etc.
i should have been more clear, having seen electrical linemen crawl out of a helo, wearing woven metal clothing and bond on to a live 500kV line, its the non-50/60Hz stuff i worry about.

looks like ill need a coiler's help...
BigBad
Thu Apr 10 2014, 08:42PM
BigBad Registered Member #2529 Joined: Thu Dec 10 2009, 02:43AM
Dunno, you'd have to try it; it would depend on how close you are to sources of corona and the receiver you're using. At 100 feet you're unlikely to have problems (otherwise GPS would fail under power lines, but so far as I know it rarely does), at 3 feet, probably quite likely, at least sometimes.

If you do get problems directional antennas would help and some receivers will be better than others.

Radioactivity; silicon doesn't like that at all; under hard radiation your computers WILL crash.
Patrick
Thu Apr 10 2014, 10:16PM
BigBad wrote ...

Radioactivity; silicon doesn't like that at all; under hard radiation your computers WILL crash.
I know some makers like ST, sell hardened silicon meant for space and martial use, so is that how Casini and other solar traveling machines are built?

So, are there functional limitations on "hardened" silicon? Or just a higher price tag?

A centimeter of lead won't be enough, and more than a cm, means my drone won't fly due to " lead brick-ification."
2Spoons
Fri Apr 11 2014, 01:52AM
2Spoons Registered Member #2939 Joined: Fri Jun 25 2010, 04:25AM
From memory some of the older silicon processes are more robust under radiation because the structures are larger : things like gate capacitances are higher so more more energy is needed to cause trouble. If you run a geiger counter on board you would have forewarning of problems.

On GPS interference: one often overlooked source (I know because I fell into this trap myself) is signals at the IF frequency of the reciever. This can fool the AGC into thinking there's lots of gps signal, so it winds back the gain - and the real gps signal gets lost. In my case the IF was at 98MHz, unfortunately a harmonic of my micro clock. I fixed it by picking a crystal with harmonics more than 6MHz from the IF.
BigBad
Fri Apr 11 2014, 04:10PM
BigBad Registered Member #2529 Joined: Thu Dec 10 2009, 02:43AM
Patrick wrote ...

So, are there functional limitations on "hardened" silicon? Or just a higher price tag?
Yup and higher price tag.

It's not an area I've looked at much but IRC the radiation tends to do stuff like randomly short out transistors temporarily. They usually will recover provided the power supply doesn't blow the thing up, but the logic will be giving false results in the meantime.

To make things more robust you can do things like run multiple copies of hardware and compare them; or even just calculate the same thing twice and compare the results; with care you don't always need rad-hard parts. Some guys I know slightly online run standard non rad-hard components in orbit. They do get some upsets, but their system is designed to deal with it and return to stability. If you go that route you'd need to test it with a radiation source.

Whatever you do though, there's going to be a limit to how much radiation you can handle.
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: