Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Huge DRSSTC Project

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
Dzejwor
Thu Jun 30 2011, 09:26PM
Dzejwor Registered Member #2750 Joined: Sun Mar 21 2010, 08:47PM
Hi Finn
Yes I noticed this issue and I use damping resistors too - as you say: not so elegant but it works wery well. Somehow I can't trust the semiconductor gate drivers - I don't know why wink but I prefer old GDT's they are simple and there is nothing what can fail. But ofcourse if something go wrong this time I build your gatedrivers if you shared it for me. I have three other coils with Predikter and all work perfect - two big what you can see at photo and third small. That small coil work with predikter and ~ 180kHz Frez. Only thing what I needed to change is burden network connected to CTs.
Dzejwor
Mon Jul 18 2011, 10:26AM
So I spent some time with SolidWorks and my coil should look like this:

1310984400 2750 FT111048 Tesla4

Now I have finished bridge and MMC:

1310984768 2750 FT111048 1

1310984768 2750 FT111048 2

1310984768 2750 FT111048 3

1310984768 2750 FT111048 4
Dzejwor
Thu Aug 11 2011, 03:40PM
Finally, I ran all the electronics. Everything look good and work perfect. I probably get first light today or tomorow cheesey. But some things still are not leave me in peace. At first gate waveforms. They are look good for me but what is good for CM300 IGBTs ? I know I must turn off fast and turn on slow... But what is slow and not too slow ? Second thing is a crossconduction. How to measure it and what is good (It never be 0A ... ). Third thing is a current leading circuit. I testet a lot of inductors of diferent types and values but it still works best with a piece of wire coil wound on a finger. What exact inductor I should use for ~42kHz to get ~2uS current leading.
Some new pictures of my setup:

1313077089 2750 FT111048 Dscn94831

1313077089 2750 FT111048 Dscn94811

1313077089 2750 FT111048 Dscn94801

1313077089 2750 FT111048 Dscn94531

And CM300 Gate waveform - not so good quality

1313077231 2750 FT111048 Gate1
dude_500
Fri Aug 12 2011, 03:29AM
dude_500 Registered Member #2288 Joined: Wed Aug 12 2009, 10:42PM
Finn Hammer wrote ...

Dzejwor,

Great to see the Predikter on a pro. quality board.
The predikter was designed to be used with discrete gate driver boards, using optical isolation on the timing signals. Due to a faulty gate driver design, I never dared to use the original gate drivers with any real power, so instead I used 1:4 gate transformer and intermediate bridge.
This solution has drawbacks, the main one being that the predikter puts out a very short, IRRC 10nS, pulse, after the last cycle in a burst. It is due to a delay on the interrupter pin, which allows the oscillator input to turn the gate driver chip "on" just briefly before it is turned "off" by the interrupter pin. This short pulse was drowned in delay on the optical link, but with a gate transformer it transfers enough energy to the gate transformer to create a huge and long ringing oscillation which looks really bad.
I fear that it could turn on the gates unsequenced.
Both Daniel's Diablo Tonnere and Thumper use this drive scheme, and we damped the oscillation with a 5W (I think 50ohm) resistor across the outputs. Not elegant, but it works..
There are 2 possible solutions, the one I prefer is to use the new Gate driver boards that I have designed, and I will let you have the design if you want to use them. Discrete gate driver boards means that you don't have to fiddle with gate resistor/diode networks, and you can really dial in the perfect non-ringing switch times.

Cheers, Finn Hammer

EDIT, I just notice that you have experience with the Predikter already. Did we talk about these issues already? Did you notice the "trapped ripple " ringing in the gate transformers?

-Finn

I definitely prefer optical and powered gate drivers over GDT's. I was able to tweak out just about all ringing, even on the first cycles. At full bus voltage, it only rings about 50V above bus. I've just never found this kind of timing precision to be possible on a GDT.

I also notice that brief gate pulse at the end of each interrupt cycle. It does propogate to my gates, but I've never seen it cause any problems, and surprisingly it doesn't ring at all at the nanoseconds later turn off.

It took a bit of doing to get the drivers working, but after about 2 months of R&D (and literally about 25 etched board prototypes), I now I have a flawless gate driver on a single sided board that screws to my IGBT's, has dropout protection to kill the whole coil softly, almost no ground loops, and transient protections everywhere possible. I've driven that coil to 5000A peak (don't even ask what was going through my mind when I drove it that high severely out of tune) on CM600's (on a prediktor driver), which burned out due to crappy 60hz GDT power supplies that weren't rated for the standoff when bus reached 1000V. I now have a bridge on 1700V/1000A bricks with isolated switching supplies for all four gate drivers. Hoping to fire that bridge up soon.

Bottom line, I hate GDT's and absolutely love discreet isolated gate drivers. I even used gate drive chips on a mini TO247 coil that fits an entire driver on a small computer heatsink.
Arcstarter
Fri Aug 12 2011, 05:04AM
Arcstarter Registered Member #1225 Joined: Sat Jan 12 2008, 01:24AM
Looks great so far cheesey

You do have some overshoot on the gates. While it may not be problematic, i always try to get as close to a perfect square as i can. The leads on your GDT (especially primary) are somewhat long, so that could be causing the overshoot.

The rise time also looks a tiny bit slower than ideal, which also may not be a problem, but i really split hairs when it comes to the health of bricks. You seem to have some resistors in series with the primary, though i may be wrong. I would omit those, unless you get unbearable ringing without them. It takes a fair bit of peak power to drive a gate that is around 50-100nf. A slower rise time could just generate more heat, which while may not really cause problems, could require you to use an otherwise unnecessary amount of cooling.
Finn Hammer
Fri Aug 12 2011, 06:48AM
Finn Hammer Registered Member #205 Joined: Sat Feb 18 2006, 11:59AM
Dzejwor wrote ...

What exact inductor I should use for ~42kHz to get ~2uS current leading.

I use 5.5uH of these Link2 @34kHz, and there should be ample delay in the predikter board for that, even at higher frequencies.

This type of coils come from many different manufacturers, but they all seem to work fine. I like them since the coil is shielded inside the ferrite loop.

Cheers, Finn Hammer
Finn Hammer
Fri Aug 12 2011, 07:25AM
Finn Hammer Registered Member #205 Joined: Sat Feb 18 2006, 11:59AM
dude_500 wrote ...

I definitely prefer optical and powered gate drivers over GDT's. I was able to tweak out just about all ringing, even on the first cycles. At full bus voltage, it only rings about 50V above bus. I've just never found this kind of timing precision to be possible on a GDT.

I also notice that brief gate pulse at the end of each interrupt cycle. It does propogate to my gates, but I've never seen it cause any problems, and surprisingly it doesn't ring at all at the nanoseconds later turn off.

It took a bit of doing to get the drivers working, but after about 2 months of R&D (and literally about 25 etched board prototypes), I now I have a flawless gate driver on a single sided board that screws to my IGBT's, has dropout protection to kill the whole coil softly, almost no ground loops, and transient protections everywhere possible. I've driven that coil to 5000A peak (don't even ask what was going through my mind when I drove it that high severely out of tune) on CM600's (on a prediktor driver), which burned out due to crappy 60hz GDT power supplies that weren't rated for the standoff when bus reached 1000V. I now have a bridge on 1700V/1000A bricks with isolated switching supplies for all four gate drivers. Hoping to fire that bridge up soon.

Bottom line, I hate GDT's and absolutely love discreet isolated gate drivers. I even used gate drive chips on a mini TO247 coil that fits an entire driver on a small computer heatsink.

My latest setup also includes discrete gate drivers, isolated with optocouplers on the signal, which solves the problem with the rookie peak at the end of each cycle. Boards are powered with discrete boost converters to insure full supply even at brownout.

However, all this finery, I think it reveals my level of OCD instead of the "let good enough be good enough" attitude of those builders whose coils are making sparks all day wink

End of rant, Finn Hammer
Herr Zapp
Fri Aug 12 2011, 07:30PM
Herr Zapp Registered Member #480 Joined: Thu Jul 06 2006, 07:08PM
Finn -

Probably not really accurate to label OC Engineering as a "disorder".

Possibly OCEP (obsessive/compulsive Engineering perfection) or OCES (obsessive/compulsive Engineering sophistication).

Herr Zapp
Arcstarter
Fri Aug 12 2011, 08:44PM
Arcstarter Registered Member #1225 Joined: Sat Jan 12 2008, 01:24AM
Finn Hammer wrote ...

Dzejwor wrote ...

What exact inductor I should use for ~42kHz to get ~2uS current leading.

I use 5.5uH of these Link2 @34kHz, and there should be ample delay in the predikter board for that, even at higher frequencies.

This type of coils come from many different manufacturers, but they all seem to work fine. I like them since the coil is shielded inside the ferrite loop.

Cheers, Finn Hammer
What i did was take one of those can type variable inductors with the ferrite tuning slug (this one has static and magnetic shielding) and rewound it with 24 turns of 32 gauge. It seems to have a good tuning range for my IGBT and frequency, and the tuning slug about right in the middle is where the phase lead seems to be perfect. I used a 4.7 ohm 1-2w carbon film shunt resistor in series with said inductor.
Dzejwor
Fri Aug 12 2011, 08:46PM
So I can't make shorter connection betwen GDT and driver but i can (and I do) shorter connections betwen gdt and gates. Now I have 10ohm gate resistors bypased by 1N5819diodes. I dont have any resistance in series with primary but I have parallel - must have it to dump ringing after last cycle. I have three other coils with predikter here and all have this dumping resistors at gdt primary. I have 4:1:1:1:1 GDT and its impedance can be too high I have around 20 turns on huge TX52 core made of 3E25 ferrite - it is probably strongly oversized but as I alaways say - better too big than too small cheesey
 1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: