Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Steve Conner (46)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

High voltage probe for O-scope, 1 of 2, ( DEVELOPMENT ).

1 2 3 4  last
Move Thread LAN_403
Proud Mary
Tue Feb 22 2011, 08:48PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
When you're dealing with just a few picofarads, I should think that stray capacitance can stick its snout in from all sorts of directions. Measurement of very low capacitance isn't something I know much about, I'm afraid, Patrick.
Patrick
Tue Feb 22 2011, 08:53PM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
Shit. How did park describe the significance of the resistor end plate? im look through my book but i dont see anything usefull yet.

I may just add flanges to increase the capacity to 5 pF or some more stable value.
Proud Mary
Wed Feb 23 2011, 12:34AM
Patrick wrote ...

Shit. How did park describe the significance of the resistor end plate? im look through my book but i dont see anything usefull yet.

I may just add flanges to increase the capacity to 5 pF or some more stable value.

Have you got any high quality close tolerance low pF capacitors to use as standards?
Patrick
Wed Feb 23 2011, 01:26AM
OOoooooo! the ones you gave me... 2.7 - 72.5 pF vari cap!!! what is it i should do?

and a 50 pF ( +- 1 pF ) that reads to 50.3 pF.
Proud Mary
Wed Feb 23 2011, 10:19AM
I've just had a rummage in a box of low pF silver micas for you, and see that below 10pF the percentage tolerance system gives way to accuracy expressed directly in pF e.g. 4.7pF ±0.5pF.

Where a very precise low pF capacitor is required - say in RF tuning - the usual approach is make C larger than needed, and to put Ctrim in series with it to bracket the desired range, or make C smaller than the desired capacitance, and put Ctrim in parallel with it.

Steve Conner
Wed Feb 23 2011, 11:06AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
I think the best way to test a probe like this is fire it up and look at the response to a square wave input. You're testing the capacitance in exactly the way you intend to use it. If you can get a nice square wave, ship it.

Because of linearity, the response will be the same for all voltages, so you don't need a 10,000 volt square wave to test it. Just the smallest that your scope can resolve. Maybe 100V or even 10V would do. Most DSOs have an averaging feature that you can use to help resolve a smaller signal.
Patrick
Thu Feb 24 2011, 08:51AM
Steve McConner wrote ...

I think the best way to test a probe like this is fire it up and look at the response to a square wave input. You're testing the capacitance in exactly the way you intend to use it. If you can get a nice square wave, ship it.

Because of linearity, the response will be the same for all voltages, so you don't need a 10,000 volt square wave to test it. Just the smallest that your scope can resolve. Maybe 100V or even 10V would do. Most DSOs have an averaging feature that you can use to help resolve a smaller signal.
does the capacitence effect the rates of change or the whole wave? can you draw waveforms of ideal and then of annomoulus conditions?

I may not be able to generate a 100 v squarewave real well. should i compare a known good probe to my HV probe whi;e looking at the same square input?
Steve Conner
Thu Feb 24 2011, 11:43AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
If the probe is "just right" the waveform will be a perfect square wave.

If it's not, it will be some bizarre shape. The simplest case is that the leading edge either overshoots or undershoots.
Link2

If the shields in your HV assembly have the wrong capacitance, to a first-order approximation, it has the same effect as a regular scope probe's compensation trimmer being set wrong. Turning that logic on its head, there isn't just one right capacitance for the HV shields: rather a range that you can compensate by twiddling a trimmer in the compensation box you'll have to build.

You should do this so you can have a look at all the other time constants in there that you'll need to compensate eventually.
Patrick
Thu Feb 24 2011, 08:12PM
Steve McConner wrote ...

If the shields in your HV assembly have the wrong capacitance, to a first-order approximation, it has the same effect as a regular scope probe's compensation trimmer being set wrong. Turning that logic on its head, there isn't just one right capacitance for the HV shields: rather a range that you can compensate by twiddling a trimmer in the compensation box you'll have to build.

You should do this so you can have a look at all the other time constants in there that you'll need to compensate eventually.
Ok ill post waveforms here when I get them for evaluation, these tests and builds are expensive and difficult so being wrong is no light issue.
Patrick
Fri Feb 25 2011, 11:59PM
I have solved the capacitence problem, it was due to complex fringing field flux wandering so badly. My physics book held the answer.

Capacictors are most predictable with wide plates at narrow distances, thus the calculus of the large uniform field overwhelms the little non-uniform (fringe) flux at the edges of thin plates. This was the problem, two thin wall pipes acting with only 0.040" plate breadth, with 2.4 inches of circumference across a gap of 0.570". The 0.040" dimension was too insignificant compared to the 2.4", and 0.570" so the field was unstable and difficult to control, varied wildly from 1pf to 4pf quickly when all demensions were held constant.

I will post pictures to describe the problem and then the solution soon.

1 2 3 4  last

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: