Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Steve Conner (46)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Miniature wireless power demonstrator

Move Thread LAN_403
Marko
Tue Mar 12 2013, 10:37PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Hi

From purely theoretical point of view, the only thing that really matters is the Q factor of the resonators; the frequency itself is irrelevant. But, low frequency will result in too big reactive components, and too high frequency will increase losses due to skin effect, as well as make the system radiate more spurious radio waves.

Looking at your amplifier, to me it looks like a radio transmitter amp designed to drive a 50 ohm resistive load at a certain frequency. Both impedance and resonant frequencies will change if you alter the coupling between resonators or change the load, so a setup like this is best suited for static demonstrations with fixed resonator distance and a light bulb as a load.

While RF amplifier will probably tolerate some reflected power, it can't be guaranteed not to blow up if it has no protection circuits installed.

When resonators are weakly coupled, both modes of the system will be very near the free resonant frequencies of each resonator alone, so you'd probably want to tune up for that.

The feeder loop that is coupled to the transmitting resonator forms an air cored transformer that performs impedance matching to the amplifier. Inverse is done on the receiver side in order to match into the light or whatever other load. A right way to design it would be to simulate the whole system in a FEMM software and wind the exact required coupling and number of turns for your feeder coil/loop.Note that this kind of coupling will always present some inductive reactance to the amplifier due to low magnetizing inductance of the loop, adding to amplifier unhappiness.

I think Steve Conner had some success with a setup like this, where he used his HAM amplifier to drive the power into system. I'm not sure how much can I help without knowing more details about the amplifier!

Regarding the cap in my receiver, I just used one because reactive power was lower there than on the transmitter (since it's only weakly coupled most of the time) and it seemed to be enough. If your resonators will be placed at cl0ose distance for high power transfer, you'd probably want identical cap banks in both of them.

Marko
zero_coke
Wed Mar 13 2013, 06:41PM
zero_coke Registered Member #8368 Joined: Wed Nov 28 2012, 04:11AM
Thanks very much Marko!

Yeah I think I just destroyed my power amplifier...it is a radio transmitter power amp so I probably screwed up somewhere but I don't know where...I simply connected it to the load and made sure the impedance of my transmitting coil was 50 ohms by adding a series resistor to top up the impedance of the coil to a total of 50 ohms.

I don't think it has to do with reflected power because I'm not at high enough frequencies for such phenomena of reflections to occur right? I'm at 2 MHz so lambda = 150 m and lambda / 40 = 3.75m (general rule for circuit size vs reflections, correct me if I'm wrong) and my circuit is definitely smaller than 3.75m so I don't think I have to worry about microwave phenomena here...or do I ?

I contacted Steve Conner to see how he used the ham radio amplifier in this setup. I thought it'd be straightforward but I guess not...
electronics-PCB
Thu Mar 28 2013, 06:32PM
electronics-PCB Registered Member #11011 Joined: Tue Mar 12 2013, 09:03AM
Hello everybody!
First of all: thank you Marko for sharing this work and for starting this thread.
I did a small demo and videod it at my job/firm. I tried to decent and thank Marko and you all at the end of the video...
If interested you can find the video here:
Link2

Basic lightbulb demo, but I experimented with ferromagnetic toroids at the final part of the video.
This would be fun to continue, because I simulated versions of the project with over a 40% efficiency....lets see if I can get the funds + time for this sometime.

Cheers, esa
Ynicky
Sat Apr 20 2013, 09:46AM
Ynicky Registered Member #12317 Joined: Thu Mar 28 2013, 07:04PM
Hi all!
This is my version of Marko's project.

Link2
Veronica P.
Mon May 20 2013, 01:48AM
Veronica P. Registered Member #16001 Joined: Fri May 03 2013, 10:31AM
Hi there,
I'm trying to recreate Marko's circuit, but it doesn't work. I also used different inductors. I used 100u, then 150u and 200. There was a LOT of smoking and popping. Can anyone explain why that happened?
Ynicky
Tue May 21 2013, 03:36PM
Ynicky Registered Member #12317 Joined: Thu Mar 28 2013, 07:04PM
To Veronica:
What has burned? Inductors, MOSFETs or relay?
What type of MOSFETs?
Have D1, D2 right connection?
What capacitance have C1...C8?
Veronica P.
Sun May 26 2013, 07:02AM
Ynicky,
I've managed to fix the problem,
The inductors had burned. The MOSFETS are the ones Marko outlined- IRFZ44N, the capacitors were also all 6.8uF, with one being 100nF.
The problem was I was substituting one 47uF capacitor for the smaller ones, and one of my resistors was not the correct value.
Veronica P.
Sat Jun 01 2013, 05:12AM
Hi,
Has anyone done a circuit analysis of their wireless power transfer circuits? Which equations are the best to focus on?
(I mean to look at the characteristics of the circuit)
jechwa
Fri Aug 30 2013, 02:31PM
jechwa Registered Member #33559 Joined: Wed Aug 28 2013, 01:43PM
Hi,
I build Markos transmitter and did some experiments. I found that it is possible to increase the transfer distance using passive LC tank circuits.
At the moment I reach a distance seven times the coil diameter of the Rx coil: 70cm.
See my youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP6EEu4DG22gg-6l0L4ATJA

cheers
Jens
jechwa
Fri Aug 30 2013, 02:42PM
jechwa Registered Member #33559 Joined: Wed Aug 28 2013, 01:43PM
Veronica P. wrote ...

Ynicky,
I've managed to fix the problem,
The inductors had burned. The MOSFETS are the ones Marko outlined- IRFZ44N, the capacitors were also all 6.8uF, with one being 100nF.
The problem was I was substituting one 47uF capacitor for the smaller ones, and one of my resistors was not the correct value.

6.8 µF, 47µF are to high! You mean nF ?

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: