Zajcek (37)
ElectroDog (33)
sportcoupe (56)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Miniature wireless power demonstrator

Move Thread LAN_403
mister_rf
Mon May 07 2012, 10:16PM
mister_rf Registered Member #4465 Joined: Wed Apr 18 2012, 08:37AM
There was no relay at that time and the circuit was triggered by using a simple switch, but later I had to use one in order to simplify the start-up procedure. cheesey
About the capacitor, there are actually two pieces hidden there (close to the power supply terminal blocks), see the picture:
shades
1336428716 4465 FT74096 Capacitor Test Wireless
Monir
Wed May 09 2012, 02:57PM
Monir Registered Member #3680 Joined: Wed Feb 09 2011, 12:48PM
Hello Mister_rf

Thank for help me!

Did you try to simulate the circuit in a software?
Is this C7 the little gray capacitor, isn't?

[]'s
E3
Tue Jun 05 2012, 12:10PM
E3 Registered Member #4750 Joined: Sat May 05 2012, 02:29PM
Hello everybody,

My native language is not English, so I apologize for my mistake smile

Primarily, Marko, I want to say thank you very much for this project. I'm electrical & electronics engineering student. I made this project, wireless energy transfer, for my electromagnetic field theory lesson and I attached these photos. Transmitter circuit frequency is approximate 1 Mhz and I measured 15-20 cm transfer distance. Maybe in the future I would like to promote this project. Thanks everybody and Marko. shades

Best regards.

1338898094 4750 FT74096 Dsc0029511

1338898095 4750 FT74096 Dsc0030811

1338898095 4750 FT74096 Sch
Crozatti
Sat Aug 25 2012, 03:30PM
Crozatti Registered Member #4752 Joined: Sat May 05 2012, 07:00PM
Hey guys,

First of all, thanks for Marko for this great project, it really works and it's very detailed making the possibility for a layman like me construct the project. Thanks!

Now, I'm going to step 2, construct the wireless mobile charger, with the help of the detailed post of mister_rf.

Thanks for all guys, you're really great!
wops
Thu Nov 08 2012, 10:49PM
wops Registered Member #7846 Joined: Sun Nov 04 2012, 06:59PM
Hello everyone,

First thank you all very much for posting and sharing your knowledge about wireless energy it is really nice to get so much informations from one thread !! Thank you especially marko for all your work.

I'm trying to make your circuit, the one with the new PCB, I can't wait for my components to arrive because I'm really excited to start the experiments !

One question though, I tried to make a simulation of the circuit on LT SPICE IV, it seemed that it worked but my question is, does it fit reality and especially what you saw during your experiment ?

Here are the circuit on lt spice, and the current in the inductor L3 from the tank

One more question, how did you chose the value of the choke ? why 100micro and not more or less ?

thanks !

--
Wops

Sulaiman
Fri Nov 09 2012, 01:31PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
MISTER RF .... is that really how you connected the relay?
I would expect the gate drive on before the dc to the inductor(s).
Crozatti
Sat Dec 08 2012, 07:29PM
Crozatti Registered Member #4752 Joined: Sat May 05 2012, 07:00PM
Hi guys,

I finished my project with a junction of marko and mister_rf schamatics, and the results is charger a phone over 25cm with full power.
I believe that is a great result, but, I have a little and important doubt...

How I calculate the inductance of inductive magnetic coupling? I mean, the "antenna"?
Can anyone help me?

Thank you
zero_coke
Fri Mar 08 2013, 05:22AM
zero_coke Registered Member #8368 Joined: Wed Nov 28 2012, 04:11AM
Hi Marko,

Great experiment! I have a few questions of my own if you could please answer:

1) We are planning on using separate modules do the oscillating and power amplification. How come you are using a Royer Oscillator instead of using a signal generator + a Power Amplifier? I understand Power Amplifiers are lossy but class E and class F oscillators work well in high frequencies and are efficient. Can you tell me why please.

2) When I'm out looking for capacitors, what ratings should I be looking for? I noticed you used the WIMA FKP1 series and about 8 of them in parallel. Is the reason you have 8 because you want to distribute the power amongst the capacitors? If so, what ratings of voltage should I get them in and how many should I use?

3) When you were pumping out ~20A into your coil, did you measure the H and E field around your coil? I'm asking this because safety standards dictate a maximum field strength of ~5 A/m from 0-1MHz and about ~5/f from 1-10 MHz where f is in MHz. I'm wondering because this sort of limits how much current you can pump out into your driving coil. We calculated a maximum current of 2.8A for our coils to be below this field strength. Can you please verify this.

4) Is there an advantage in using a 4 coil system whereby your transmitting coil is inductively coupled to your source coil? I noticed some people did this and it improves their resonator Q and increases the overall efficiency of the system but I don't know exactly why. I know that by having an extra coil in the middle you can refer impedances back and forth depending on the # of turns you have setup but when these coils are so far apart can you even refer the impedance of your load coils which are like 30cm+ away from your transmitter to your primary coil? I don't think things work like the transformer action way at such low coupling. I dont know if the formula exists for referring impedances with non-unity coupling coefficient values.

5) Thanks man :)
Marko
Sat Mar 09 2013, 01:18PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Hello everyone! Glad to see so many people still being interested in this project that dates from my high school days. I'm now actually approaching the end of my college studies and am having only less and less time to teach about things like these. However I have some time right now so I'll try to answer a few good questions here.

zero_coke:

1. - It's absolutely possible to use a fixed frequency signal source and a class E or similar amplifier to feed the transmitting circuit, and could easily be more efficient than the Royer oscillator (especially the crappy version presented in this thread, I haven't been using that for a long time now!). However, the fixed signal source would mean you now have two degrees of tuning instead of one which greatly complicates the tuning process. If your system is moved around or intended to be used in a serious application the resonant frequencies of the resonators will certainly change and you'd have to readjust both the resonators mutually, as well as the signal source. Royer oscillator always drives the transmitting resonator at resonance, so only one degree of tuning is necessary. Bonus for you if you can make the receiver self-tuning too!

For any serious application, I'd make sure that at least the primary side is self resonant no matter what topology is used. For really high power I'd probably favor a series resonant half bridge class DE amplifier with PLL or similar feedback. However, one must note another advantage of royer oscillator - unlike most other topologies, it always keeps the tank circuit voltage constant. Series resonant on the other hand would ring up without load and would need an extra control loop to prevent it from blowing itself up if it's Q is allowed to go too high.

2. I used 8 parallel capacitors to distribute the fairly heavy tank current among them. For a higher power design the number of capacitors could easily get impractical - in this case it would be a good idea to switch towards conduction cooled capacitors such as used for induction heating.
In royer oscillator, the capacitors see pi*supply voltage peak. I used overrated 1000V caps to get more surface area for cooling, and because I had them at hand after all.

3.Well, I don't have any equipment that I can use to accurately measure H at RF frequencies - though inside the coil it can be estimated as H = I/D where D is diameter of the loop... so in this case its about 200A/m for a 10cm coil. I figured any such rules are silly, so I ignored them; induction heaters can produce 2-3 orders of magnitude greater H in vicinity of their coils and yet no laws seem to prevent them from being produced and used. You can't do anything about laws of physics here!

I'd only be concerned that stray radiation that could disrupt radio communications, so I'd probably chose some ISM band frequency like 6.775, 13.55 Mhz or such. Note that is a double edged blade, as it would enable your wireless transmitter to resonate and fry some RFID and radio devices operating at these frequencies. So you might just chose a frequency low enough to assure that your system doesn't get to radiate significant power as radio waves.

4. "4 coil" system is really nothing but a method of feeding power into and out of resonators. You could also do it directly by series or parallel feeding, as well as use a ferrite transformer for insulation if necessary. If your resonators are Tesla coils they become such high impedance that it's practical to feed power by capacitive means as well!

You're probably referring to MIT experiment where resonators were free coils that had single loop coils near them to feed power in and out. The resonators likely had kilovolts on them and were rather impractical to be fed directly by a vacuum tube oscillator, or to drive a light bulb directly, so the air core step-up and step-down transformers were required.

On the other hand, I loaded my single-turn copper loop with a big capacitor which makes it's impedance so low that it can transfer fun amounts of power with as little as 50V input.

Q of the resonators doesn't really have much to do with this - it's all about losses in copper and capacitor dielectric in the resonator (if capacitors are present, of course).

Marko

zero_coke
Sat Mar 09 2013, 08:41PM
zero_coke Registered Member #8368 Joined: Wed Nov 28 2012, 04:11AM
You are awesome man! Thanks for taking the time to answer the questions. I have some pictures to show you and a few more questions if you have the time please.

First is the signal generator we bought to generate a signal at some particular frequency:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wprrxo55gxjzfuu/oscillator%20-%20top%20view.jpg

Next is the pre-stage amplifier (5W output) needed to drive our main amplifier:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/skcmh1s361oui2y/pre-amplifier%20-%20top%20view.jpg

And finally this is our main amplifier (140W):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t7paoiugywegm4d/amplifier%20-%20top%20view.jpg?

And then we have our coils which are 1 turn, 10 turns, 10 turns, and 1 turn, respectively. The first two coils are inductively coupled which is on the transmitting end and the last two are inductively coupled on the receiving end. The middle two are resonant coupled. The first two coils are copper pipe, and the last two coils are just copper wire (not thin wire or anything, just a

I have a few questions now that I'd like to ask:

1 - We couldn't find any reason to pick a high frequency or low frequency for our resonant frequency for this application. According to our simulations it seems like lower frequencies give better performance in terms of power input and power output, but I'm still not convinced as to why even though the numbers dictate. Wouldn't using higher frequencies be more efficient? I always thought that operating at higher frequencies would increase efficiency of the system.

2 - I noticed that you said you had 1 capacitor in the transmitting end. Can you tell me again why you had just 1 instead of multiple capacitors?

3 - Can you please tell me again how the resonant frequency will change in my setup as compared to the royer oscillator setup? So are you saying that by moving the receiver closer/away from the transmitter I will need to re-adjust my resonant frequency? I just need a little more explaining if you don't mind sorry. I don't know why the resonant frequency will change if I move the receiver. By the way, our load is going to be either a light bulb or a fan so that might not be a problem in this setup would it?

4 - Do we need to match the output impedance of our amplifier to the coils? I mean, the amplifier is rated for 140W into a 50 Ohm load, so do we need to make sure that the coil at its resonant frequency has an impedance of 50 Ohms? I'm assuming if you have this setup, maximum power will be delivered to the driving coil right? What if our coil does not have 50 Ohms, do we just add a series resistor to match it?

5 -Do you have any recommendation for us? Right now we have a signal generator connected to an amplifier and that amplifier is connected to our main driving coil. It's basically as simple as that. We're hoping that with about 100W input into our main transmitting coil, we can get about 20-30W at the output. Does this seem feasible to you?

Thanks very much Marko and friends!

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: