All today's birthdays', congrats!
Matthew T. (35)
Amrit Deshmukh (60)

Next birthdays
05/05 Alexandre (32)
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

High current PSU

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Freitsu
Fri Oct 22 2010, 08:18AM Print
Freitsu Registered Member #3147 Joined: Sun Aug 29 2010, 10:53AM
I was visiting the local fleamarket and what a good thing I did! :D

What I found there was some BIG transformer (35€) marked 24V output but no VA rating on it. :(
And also in a junkbox hidden in a corner I found a bunch of capasitors, I bought the one with biggest voltage rating of 40V (10€) and 21500MFD (is that Milli farad???)
That huge capasitor sure came in handy when building a DC supply of the whole thing today!

Only thing I couldn't find second hand was a bridge rectifier but I happen to have a 35A, 800V one laying around.

Here are links to pictures of PSU:
Link2
Link2
Link2

The secondary winding wire diameter is 3.8mm, how much amperage might I expect to pull from this puppy?

PS.
Only thing that I found to get warm was the bridge rectifier (I even put a heatsink on it as you can see in pictures) but it doesn't even reach body temperature while drawing about 9 amps from it... Oh yeah, the beast weighs about 8 kg!

PPS.
Look in the pics/ directory for some pictures of my x-ray setup. :)
Proud Mary
Fri Oct 22 2010, 09:17AM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Freitsu wrote ...

21500MFD (is that Milli farad???)
It is microfarads, Freitsu, also written μF, the Greek letter μ - mu - being the SI prefix indicating micro, the one millionth part, or 10E−6.

Online it is common for the Greek μ to be substituted by the Roman u, so you will often see microfarad written as uF too.

In very old electronics writing and part labels, you will sometimes see pF written as micromicrofarad, or μμF.

Millifarads are never used on capacitor markings to avoid the very confusion you have happened upon.

Freitsu wrote ...

Look in the pics/ directory for some pictures of my x-ray setup. :)

What directory? Where are your X-ray setup pics?

Freitsu
Fri Oct 22 2010, 09:32AM
Alright, I learn something new every day. I haven't come upon MFD as uF or μF before and I don't remember being teached that in school 10+ years ago eigther... :)

The x-ray pics are here: Link2
Proud Mary
Fri Oct 22 2010, 02:43PM
In informal spoken English, people will sometimes say "muff" for μF, and "puff" for pF.
Arcstarter
Sat Oct 23 2010, 05:06AM
Arcstarter Registered Member #1225 Joined: Sat Jan 12 2008, 01:24AM
Proud Mary wrote ...

In informal spoken English, people will sometimes say "muff" for μF, and "puff" for pF.
Haha, i have not once heard them called that. If someone insisted on saying it that way i would just slowly walk away wink
Steve Conner
Sat Oct 23 2010, 07:12PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
We always say "microfarads" and "picofarads" around the lab. tongue

Some older American schematics used MFD to mean microfarads. And some other older American schematics used MFD to mean millifarads. You should never use either of these nowadays to avoid confusion, especially if you live in a country that uses the SI system of units.

You can always spot a German on electronics forums because they don't write "uF", they use the actual mu symbol. The reason is simply that German keyboards have mu on a key, but everyone else has to remember Alt+016-whatever, so they just type u instead.
Proud Mary
Sat Oct 23 2010, 08:02PM
The Wikipedia entry under Farad mentions the puff techno-jargon case here:

Link2
Arcstarter
Sat Oct 23 2010, 09:10PM
Arcstarter Registered Member #1225 Joined: Sat Jan 12 2008, 01:24AM
Proud Mary wrote ...

The Wikipedia entry under Farad mentions the puff techno-jargon case here:

Link2
That is something, even though i did not doubt you when you said it at first smile.

I also never knew there where commercially available capacitors down to 100femtofarads.
klugesmith
Sat Oct 23 2010, 10:55PM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
Freitsu wrote ...
Alright, I learn something new every day. I haven't come upon MFD as uF or μF before and I don't remember being teached that in school 10+ years ago eigther... :)

The x-ray pics are here: Link2
Nice pictures. I hope you will tell us some stories about them (in a new thread).
My favorite is the beer can, a subject I've never seen before in amateur radiography.
Does the "box" picture show a plastic tub lined with sheet lead?
Where does the camera go?
Have you measured the x-ray exposure in the beam, or the leakage exposure??

-Rich

p.s. I have frequently heard and said puff for pF, but almost never muff for uF.
While we're on the subject of SI symbols, I'll make the usual reminder about type case.
When a unit is derived from someone's name, the symbol is capitalized.
But the unit name is all lowercase, except where any noun would be capitalized (e.g. at the beginning of a sentence, or perhaps in German). The symbols F and MHz stand for farad and megahertz, not Farad or Megahertz or MegaHertz!
Freitsu
Sun Oct 24 2010, 08:03AM
Klugesmith wrote ...

Nice pictures. I hope you will tell us some stories about them (in a new thread).
My favorite is the beer can, a subject I've never seen before in amateur radiography.
Does the "box" picture show a plastic tub lined with sheet lead?
Where does the camera go?
Have you measured the x-ray exposure in the beam, or the leakage exposure??

-Rich

p.s. I have frequently heard and said puff for pF, but almost never muff for uF.
While we're on the subject of SI symbols, I'll make the usual reminder about type case.
When a unit is derived from someone's name, the symbol is capitalized.
But the unit name is all lowercase, except where any noun would be capitalized (e.g. at the beginning of a sentence, or perhaps in German). The symbols F and MHz stand for farad and megahertz, not Farad or Megahertz or MegaHertz!

Thanks for the nice feedback!

That beercan radiograph is actually taken with a 6VS-1 HV shunt stabiliser vacuum tube! (I got a bunch of them if anyone is interested, but that doesn't belong in this thread) But rest is taken with that dental x-ray tube that there are pics of.

Nice observation, Rich! It's indeed a plastic tub (well, more like box) that's lined with lead!

I have actually done some heavy redesigning on the leadlined box now, before I just had the digicam sitting behind the flouroscopy screen but it got heavy interference from the rays so I decided to angle a mirror behind the screen and having camera hanging on top of the mirror. Some pictures of new setup might say more than I can say in 1000 words so here goes:

Link2 <- Sealed box with the geiger counter I use to check for leaks (I don't know how accurate method this is so please feel free to critisize my way. :)
Link2 <- Box with lid removed, notice the filament transformer on right. I just have a 6.8 ohm ballast resistor connected in series and it works like a charm!
Link2 <- I decided to move the flyback closer to x-ray tube to minimize corona between HV cables and lead shield, now that problem is gone.
Link2 <- Everything in place.
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: