Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Computer Science
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

FAT32 or NTFS with Linux?

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Steve Conner
Tue May 16 2006, 09:39AM Print
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Hi all

I'm in the middle of building a new OMG el1te PC that I want to dual boot WinXP and Linux. I intend to use it for multitrack audio recording (under both OSs), so I installed two 320GB hard drives, one for the OSs, applications, and swap space, and another for the audio files.

So this is what I want to debate: should I format the audio drive with NTFS or FAT32? This drive needs to be read and written as fast as possible by both Windows and Linux, and I'm worried that Linux's NTFS drivers might be slow.

The Linux filesystems aren't an option as it needs to be readable under Windows.

If FAT32 does turn out to be best, how the heck do I format it? XP won't let me format with anything other than NTFS nowadays. frown

I already formatted the XP system partition with NTFS, because the installer didn't give any other option :-<

<b>*edit* I googled a bit and found that NTFS support in the 2.6 kernel is pretty crappy- it's obviously a plan by Microsoft</b>
Liam
Tue May 16 2006, 10:37AM
Liam Registered Member #113 Joined: Fri Feb 10 2006, 01:40AM
I definitely wouldn't use NTFS for a daily-use PC. You can read NTFS really easily, but as for writing - it's not so straightforward. In fact, it's often downright risky.

Why not have 3 drives (logical or physical) - 2 for the OS and one common (formatted in FAT32). You can always format that last drive in Linux or you can use something like partition magic.

Good luck!
Steve Conner
Tue May 16 2006, 11:30AM
I think 3 logical drives is kind of what I'm doing already. I used half of the space on the first physical drive for XP, and I'm going to install Linux into the other half. The second physical drive will be the common one.

I found a free utility for FAT32 formatting, but then I found out FAT32 has a 2GB size limit for a single file. That's only an hour and a half at 48kHz and 24 bits frown I guess you can't win them all.
Bjørn
Tue May 16 2006, 12:31PM
Bjørn Registered Member #27 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 02:20AM
The file size limit for FAT32 is 4GB, that would give a bit over 4 hours for a 24 bit stereo recording. Since int is easier to type than unsigned int some programs have problems with more than 2^31 of anything.
Steve Conner
Tue May 16 2006, 02:36PM
It seems I have another option, I can format the drive with the Linux ext2 filesystem, and install a driver to let XP recognize ext2. Or I could go get my wisdom teeth extracted, which sounds almost as much fun >_<
Hellmark
Tue May 16 2006, 05:29PM
Hellmark Registered Member #189 Joined: Thu Feb 16 2006, 07:43PM
the ext2 driver isnt hard to install, but personally I'd just go for Fat32.
Steve Conner
Tue May 16 2006, 10:17PM
Done! With Tom Thornill's FAT32 Formatter.

Now I just need to figure out why my system drive appears as H when it ought to be C :-< I can change it with the disk management tool, but I get the feeling Windows, and any programs I installed might freak out.
Tue May 16 2006, 10:31PM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
I would go with fat32. I am not sure what the deal with that 4gb limit, as I currently have ~10gb on a fat32 drive in my ubuntu box... I haven't looked at it with windows yet, but I assume it is readable...

As to formatting it, couldn't you drop in a ms boot disk with the m$ format utility on it (a win98 recovery disk works great but takes forever to load)? I formatted it with the integrated formatter in ubuntu... I set up my 30gb drive with 10gb for ubuntu, 1gb sawp, leftover as data, then in my 100gb drive I put in 20 for windows and the rest for data. The windows partition is ntfs, the data's are fat32. I would have had all of the os's on the same disk, but I question the reliability of the 100gb one, as I have sent two identical drives in already, so it is for static storage; whenever I put a file on it I either copy it on the good disk or if it is over a few gb I burn it on a dvd.

As to the ntfs support, I can read my ntfs partition in ubuntu just fine, but currently it is setup as a read only... So can't say much about writing to it.

Also, I would say you shouldn't need more than 20-30gb for your os's... If you have more than 10gb in linux you have way to much crap on it, and windows shouldn't be more than 10 unless you have a lot of stuff installed, under 20 unless you have a ton of games installed. So if I were you I would repartition so that you have like 250gb for data on the os drive, 40 for windows and 30 for linux (so you never run out of space). I suppose if you really wanted to trick out the system you put the disks in a raid1 array for a 640gb disk with like 200mb/s read/write speed and then get a cheapo 50gb for the os's. Might be worth the speed increase of the raid...

--edit--
looks like you figured it out on your own...
Wolfram
Wed May 17 2006, 07:41AM
Wolfram Registered Member #33 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 01:31PM
Single files can not be bigger than 4GiB on FAT32. The upper total disk size limit is 2TiB.
Steve Conner
Wed May 17 2006, 10:21AM
Why do some people say the file size limit is 2GB then? (or 2GiB to be precise smile )

I think a Win98 recovery disk will freak out at any drive bigger than 137GB, or whatever the magic number is. I don't see it working with SATA either. Anyway, I don't have a floppy drive to put it in! shades

I just did my first useful work on the new machine last night- in fact my previous post was made from it- and it's pretty good. I actually rather like XP, the secret to using it seems to be to leave all the settings on default and switch your brain off completely. This seems to get things done quicker and easier than a lot of other OS's I've used smile

I decided not to use RAID because I wanted my work physically on a separate hard drive. A 320GB home directory is hard enough to back up as it is.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: