All today's birthdays', congrats!
Adam Munich (30)
Alfredo Texacca (60)

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Capapalooza

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Adam Munich
Fri Sept 17 2010, 02:05AM Print
Adam Munich Registered Member #2893 Joined: Tue Jun 01 2010, 09:25PM
I'm going to use this thread to document my adventures with homemade capacitors, and the strive to possibly build a 1MegaVolt marx with them.

I went to office max, and they wanted $40 (forty!) for a pack of 100 OHP sheets. So that wasn't going to happen. I ended up getting a pile of them from a teacher, and they are assorted. There are HP ones, Avery ones, and staples ones.

The HP and Avery are cellulose acetate, while the staples ones are made out of the same stuff as sandwich bags. Unfortunately the HP ones are covered in the same kind of glue that is used on envelopes, so that will be a pain to get off. I'm speeding up the process by soaking them in my hot tub with the jets on.

I'm going to make 15kV caps for many reasons.
1. I don't want to deal with side flashover.
2. I don't want corona on my spark gaps
3. I want this to be LOUD. Lower voltage = Higher capacitance
4. I don't have a lot of sheets
5. My highest voltage DC source ATM is (2x) full wave rectified 15kV 25mA NST.

I plan on using 6 sheets per cap. I'm going to test both the acetate ones and the lunchbag ones, and see what's better.

Here's a picture of the sheets. This thread will be pic heavy.
1284689142 2893 FT0 Dsc05754
Avi
Fri Sept 17 2010, 03:02PM
Avi Registered Member #580 Joined: Mon Mar 12 2007, 03:17PM
is this going to be in or out of oil?
those hole punched things so seem to work quite good (in air) because they are sealed at the sides but have their limitations eventually
Fri Sept 17 2010, 07:56PM
803 Registered Member #2807 Joined: Fri Apr 16 2010, 08:10PM
Good luck!

may I sugest you cut them into 4ths and use them, that would save space.
Patrick
Fri Sept 17 2010, 08:07PM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
some advice Grenadier, build a kind of cubic rectangle shaped cap that will fit inside the largest pipe diameter, you can get. this will give you the ability to vacuum pull oil, after all an 8.5 " dia pipe 11" long might be hard/expensive to find. but a steel water pipe 4 " x 10" is easier/cheaper, and your capacitence is assumed to be the same in each case, as an exapmle.
Adam Munich
Fri Sept 17 2010, 10:41PM
3 hours and one box of M. Clean magic erasers and all the HP ones are all clean.

I measured the thickness of both the HP and (Avery was the other brand name) sheets and they are both 3 mil. I bought a box of Reynold's wrap and I'm going to put some together now and I'm going to use 8 sheets per cap. I'm not doing any vacuum or oil, as that will be a big pain in the *ss to do for every cap; these will be used in a marx generator after all. Flash over won't be a problem since these will be run at 15kV.

Muttyfutty!
Sat Sept 18 2010, 01:40AM
Muttyfutty! Registered Member #2915 Joined: Fri Jun 11 2010, 10:41AM
Ahhhhh.... Oh dear, the same caps I made last week failed
on my single un-rectified 15 KV NST. 1 neat, burning hole through
7 layers of OHP Transparency. Ouch!
Be VERY careful with 6 layers, Dont Operate them for too long. Good luck!
regards,
mike
Adam Munich
Sat Sept 18 2010, 02:37AM
Well mine (2 sets of 4 layers) seem to be holding up just fine!

I made 5, then ran out of OHP sheet. Need to find a place to get more. I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew with a 1 MV marx, because I'll need 70 capacitors. That's 560 OHP sheets! I intend to try my best though, but I'll still need to find a lot more sheets. No more HP ones though, I'm done scrubbing glue.

So I measured them, and I must say they are all pretty close. 3 were exactly the same! However I killed my multimeter on the last one. Apparently it built up enough charge by simply putting it together to kill my DMM. angry Now I need to go meter shopping tomorrow and burn a hole in my wallet.

Values are as follows.
3x 2.80nF
1x 2.86nF
1x 2.97nF

These are very stable caps, and pressing them or changing the temperature doesn't seem to affect the value at all. Definitely suitable for TC use.

I hooked them all in // to my 15/25 NST (half wave rectified by 32 1n4005's) and they make one hell of a crack. It left my eyes burning and my ears ringing after 5 seconds of that racket. There is no problem with flashover and they don't seem to mind not having a spark gap either. They don't hold a 15kV charge for very long due to corona loss, but hold 5kV quite well. So If I build a 70 stage(15kV) marx I'll need relatively low value resistors (~250K). They also make an interesting sound when the power is cut, kind of like TSSSSSHHHHHHEEEWWLink2 I'll record it sometime.

I also hooked them up to my supposedly GFCI NST's. Guess what didn't happen? :p

Sadly no video, my video camera's dead and the charger is nowhere to be found. Got pics though.

Link2 Link2 Link2
I had to put the NST on a box in the last one because electricity found it's way through the floor adn gave me a tingle.
Adam Munich
Wed Sept 22 2010, 11:41PM
More plastic! Here's what I got.

+ About 25 more acetate sheets, (HP angry). More scrubbing tonight.
+ 2x 75 foot rolls of acetate. One is covered in drawings and words, but vis-a-vis markers are easy to clean. The other one is old (yellowed), but nothing else seems to be wrong with it.
+ 1x 75 foot roll of sandwich bag stuff. About 1/3 used, 2/3 unused and clean.

So what should I do with the rolls? A giant 5kV cap, or cut them up to use in multiple small 15kV caps?

1285198914 2893 FT96713 Dsc05803
Adam Munich
Fri Sept 24 2010, 12:36AM
2 hours of scrubbing that dang glue and all I got was 2 made. I ran out of sheets before I could finish another. It's anyone guess as to what their capacitance is, but it's likely to be around the 2.85nf mark.

I tried making a cap with the rolls of plastic and it was fail to say the least. Off the roll the plastic was curved, so it didn't want to stay flat. The plastic sure wasn't acetate, it looked more like a PVC type material. It was also 1mil thinner. I attempted to make the thing with the rolled stuff by adding 2 more sheets to compensate for the thinner-ness. I couldn't get anything to stay flat and when it was rolled uo a whole bunch of air got inside. I thew the thing out before even hooking it up to an X-former. I still haven't tried the sandwich bag stuff.

I was searching online and I found 100pks of sheet for $15 shipped. I don't think it's worth it to buy the stuff. $60 will get me about 40 caps, and even though they will be cheaper than ready made 2.85nF 15kV caps, I'm not sure it's worth it. I'll still attempt to get some more free sheets though.

edit: Dang I just realized I triple posted. Not a real big deal though I suppose. It's not like they're one line posts.
Muttyfutty!
Fri Sept 24 2010, 01:05AM
Muttyfutty! Registered Member #2915 Joined: Fri Jun 11 2010, 10:41AM
WOW, That is certainly impressive!
The largest Value caps I got was about 2 nF. What thickness are your transparencies?
mine are .1mm. (I think)
Have you tried them unrectified?
Nice Diode chain by the Way!
For some strange reasons, My caps are failing on both the Voltage side and the Capacity.
Mains kinda fluctuates over here, We can get up to 270V, Is it a possibility that I’m
getting considerably more than 21KV peak, 15KV RMS? That would explain why My 7 layered caps keep failing....
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: