Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

isolated gate drives

1 2 3 4  last
Move Thread LAN_403
ragnar
Tue May 09 2006, 03:45PM Print
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
Just what the world needs: ANOTHER permutation of an isolated gate-driver. ^^

This is a circuit board I've put together to facilitate close-and-snugly drive of a FET with complementary UCCs... BUT, instead of isolating the FETdrives from each other by means of a gate-driver transformer, I thought it might be clever to give each FET a dedicated set of drivers, then isolate the drivers at the power end so each has its own lil 15V supply.

My board looks like this:
at the extreme right are four ultrafast diodes, a smoothing cap, then an LM7815 voltage regulator. This lil bridge is for rectifying a winding off a HF supply I haven't designed yet; this is where the board draws its isolated 15V supply from.

Underneath the regulator on the right you'll see a 100-ohm resistor, a schottky, and the apparent "signal in" connections. An isolated signal (e.g. from an oscillator) from another multifilar isolating transformer is connected between ground and the schottky. The schottky ensures the input pin of the UCCs don't cop a negative voltage, and the 100-ohm resistor allows the input capacitance to discharge so the things can turn off again.

Next you'll notice a complimentary pair of gatedrivers in an unusual configuration. The bottom one (UCC**) has had all its pins tortured around upside down such that when I socket the chip, I have effectively mirrored the left/right pinouts. This allows me to have a very neat layout for the inputs/outputs of the chip. Yes, I mean the legs are bent 180-degrees so you can see the underside of the chip when inserted. tongue

You can see provisions for power bypass capacitors to the right of each chip; electrolytic, monolithic, and ceramic, each.

The top chip's output goes to an optional bank of DC blocking capacitors (which will probably be shorted out by a jumper), then to the source of the FET.

The bottom chip's output goes through a 10-ohm resistor to the gate of the FET. There's a TO220 freewheeling diode in there for the fun of it, too.

Out the bottom left of the board is a handy connection to the FET's drain. Out the top left, similarly, is a big pad for its source.

I'm hoping to push a bridge fairly hard with this setup, hence individual drivers for each transistor. Yes, I have to make four of these boards.

I'm looking for feedback on the board layout, and this isolated drive concept in general... =)

What do youse think?

Matt

Wed May 10 2006, 04:27AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
No comments?

I will admit that it is considerably more complicated than a strait gdt, but whatever floats your boat...

For the minimal cost of making these, even if they each save one fet they are worth building...

Hmm, maybe you should add over current shutoff... Seems pretty easy, just put a very small sense resistor in series with low side of the fet and hook it up to the enable of the ucc cheesey Add a mov and you would have created an invincible switch suprised
ragnar
Thu May 11 2006, 08:24AM
... wrote ...

...but whatever floats your boat...

as opposed to floating my mosfet's gate... =D

First problem I can see with my own board is that the connections on the edge for power and mosfet drain/source are actually outside the line projected by the edge of the MOSFET package, which means I can't stack four drives in a row with the FETs real close on the heatsink.

MUR860s might also not be the ideal diode packages - should I make provision for double-diode packages or diodes in series with the FET (to isolate the body diode)?? hrmmm
Desmogod
Thu May 11 2006, 08:26AM
Desmogod Registered Member #139 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 11:01AM
Considering that you run a PLL, is there any real need for the MUR's at all?
ragnar
Thu May 11 2006, 10:31AM
First, this isn't copping a PLL VCO, it's copping a MAX038 VCO (which does have an internal phase detector, but meh)... AND there's deadtime, AND there's signal modulation... so those diodes definitely have to freewheel =P

So, how do you like the layout and the idea of isolating the FETdrives at the power stage instead of output, to get that "hard" push/pull feel? =P
Steve Conner
Thu May 11 2006, 10:41AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
As far as I know, the MURs are pointless unless you also have a schottky in series with the MOSFET, to make sure the body-drain diode gets isolated. I once did some experiments where I put a fast diode in parallel with a MOSFET's body-drain diode to see how the current shared between them. The fast diode had a higher forward voltage on account of being optimised for speed, so the body-drain diode ended up still passing all the current anyway.

Admittedly I used a 1200V fast diode (RURG30120) and 600V MOSFET (IRFP460) so the comparison may have been unfair. Some high voltage fast diodes can be two diodes in series internally.
ragnar
Thu May 11 2006, 10:56AM
wrote ...
As far as I know, the MURs are pointless unless you also have a schottky in series with the MOSFET, to make sure the body-drain diode gets isolated.

Eek, my MURs have a forward-voltage drop of ~0.4V, which will rise in duty, so I'll make that schottky a must... I scored some absolutely awesome 15A and 30A 60V schottkies off a laser printer board, but if this is running rectified mains, high voltage schottkies are expensive...

By the way, I just re-read the UCC datasheet, and on the ENBL pin they're happy down to -0.3V, and on the IN pin they're happy from -5V to VDD+0.3V.. so I can actually use a signal transformer without a 100-ohm resistor and schottky etc, so long as I've got an appropriate reduction down to +/-5V.. that makes things a lot neater and much more elegant, and just significantly changed my layout wink

I should also make provision for connecting that enable pin to something in the event that I actually decide to use it =)

So far I've fixed:

#1. input/output pads too close to board,
#2. allowing TO-247 double-diode packages to fit,
#3. making space for body-diode-isolating schottkies,
#4. removing the 100R and schottky on IN since it can take negative voltages,

Please, critique the crap out of my board. I didn't just put it here for flattery or to confuse y'all wink
Steve Conner
Thu May 11 2006, 12:22PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
The schottkies don't need to have a voltage rating equal to the supply voltage. 30v ones will do just fine, in fact they don't make high voltage schottkies (except for the mythical silicon carbide ones)
HV Enthusiast
Thu May 11 2006, 01:42PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
wrote ...

in fact they don't make high voltage schottkies (except for the mythical silicon carbide ones

Actually, they do. I happen to have some 1500V Schottky diodes right here on my desk in front of me. And they
aren't SiC either . . . ill

ragnar
Thu May 11 2006, 01:52PM
Hey, EVR, good to see someone looking at my lonely lil thread here.

Perhaps you could utter a few words of guidance regarding my [strange] ideas... ^^
1 2 3 4  last

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: