Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Steve Conner (46)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Computer Science
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Windows XP, USB, "plug and play" woes.

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Part Scavenger
Tue May 02 2006, 02:18AM Print
Part Scavenger Registered Member #79 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 11:35AM
I've got a problem with Windows XP (who doesn't, but anyway...) I've got an "external mass media device" hooked up via USB. It's an external hard drive enclosure. While transferring information, Windows XP makes a sound like a media device disconnecting, and then another exactly like the one you hear when you plug in a new USB/IEEE/anything plug+play device. It's completely random as far as I can tell.

After this, the transfer rate skyrockets, the CPU goes to 100% and the rest of the file is corrupted. angry

This didn't used to happen but only once in a while, but then our computer got a virus and consequently a fresh format, install of XP, etc. It was irritating before, now I simply can't transfer files anymore.

I have unplugged every unnecessary device from the computer, restarted, and it still happens. Same in safe mode. I turned off the "allow turn off of USB port for power saving" feature on all the USB hubs, disabled antivirius, everything I can think of. Note, it's really pissing my dad off that he can't transfer his files, so any help would be appreciated. wink What am I missing?

Another question I have is how do you up the allowable bandwith on a certain port? All my USB ports are locked between 9 and 11% bandwidth, and I'd like to be able to use one full blast every once in a while. confused

I've got Windows XP Professional SP2, 2.4GHz chip, ~512Mb RAM, USB 2.0/1.1 ports and I'm trying to move ~500Mb to 2Gig files from a USB drive to the Comp's HD.
Desmogod
Tue May 02 2006, 02:29AM
Desmogod Registered Member #139 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 11:01AM
Ahhh, plug and pray :)

What make is your external drive? Not a LaCie is it?
Part Scavenger
Tue May 02 2006, 03:16AM
El-Cheapo Inc. Actually, I don't remember it having a name. I really don't think that's the problem however, it does it with other devices too, like flash drives, etc.
Electroholic
Tue May 02 2006, 04:03AM
Electroholic Registered Member #191 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 02:01AM
The female usb jacks on my laptop are a little lose, but it is find as long as i dont' touch it during file transfer.
Part Scavenger
Tue May 02 2006, 03:07PM
I don't think that's it either. I will do it with no one in the room as well...
Bjørn
Tue May 02 2006, 05:39PM
Bjørn Registered Member #27 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 02:20AM
Another question I have is how do you up the allowable bandwith on a certain port?
Usually there are reserved a small amout for realtime applications, if a large amount is reserved then there is probably something wrong. If the normal amount is reserved then devices and drivers expect that and you should not change it. There used to be a utility for changing settings like that, I can't recall the name.

Your problem in general does not sound like a plug and play problem. It could be a bad driver, a bad USB controller or a power supply problem. Maybe you are pulling too much power from the USB port and the polyfuse trips and resets itself.

Since it got worse after a new install it points to a bad driver, locate the latest driver for the USB chipset and all other chips on the motherboard.
Part Scavenger
Tue May 02 2006, 07:51PM
That sounds like a good idea. I'll try to find some new drivers. I don't think it's the power supply; according to windows, I was pulling 10mA out of an allowable 500mA for the USB bus. Thanks for the input, I don't know why I didn't think about new drivers.

EDIT=> I re-did the drivers, and it's still being a pain. The ports will reset without it doing anything, so now I'm sure it's not power. BTW, there were no new drivers. I just re-installed them.
Bjørn
Tue May 02 2006, 08:53PM
Bjørn Registered Member #27 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 02:20AM
Did you check all the other drivers needed for the motherboard? Have you checked the system event logs (contriol panel/administration) to se if there are any messages that coincides with the events? Does it still happen in safe mode?
Part Scavenger
Thu May 04 2006, 01:20AM
Well, I don't know what happened. It went from doing it about every 2-3min, later over and over, then without changing anything, it started working and worked for about 2hrs until we were through. confused

Does that ring a bell to anybody? It's pretty weird to me.
Desmogod
Thu May 04 2006, 01:49AM
Desmogod Registered Member #139 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 11:01AM
Does it "fix itself" when the computer has been left switched on for a while? Could be a heat/expansion related issue.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: