All today's birthdays', congrats!
Matthew T. (35)
Amrit Deshmukh (60)

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Autonomous quadrocopter---setup and some questions

Move Thread LAN_403
rp181
Thu Mar 18 2010, 01:42AM Print
rp181 Registered Member #1062 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2007, 02:01AM

I am working on an autonomous UAV, and would like to make sure everything will work before buying.
For the UAV setup, I am doing a quadrocopter with the following parts, and a custom ABS or Nylon frame:
Motors: 4x Link2
Props: 2x Link2
ESC: 4x Link2
Batteries: Link2

Does this setup look good? Will it fly while being able to carry the payload listed below?

As for electronics,
I am thinking a beagleboard (plan on adding 3D image processing), with a sparkfun IMU (Link2
Are these compatible?
I would also like to use a cellular module for remote control:
Link2

Questions:
1)Will it fly with that weight?
2)How do I send [serial] data to the cellular module? Do I have to use 2 cellular modules?
3)Anything I am missing?
cjk2
Thu Mar 18 2010, 03:19AM
cjk2 Registered Member #51 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:17AM
Does this setup look good?

I will comment on what I can:
Those motors are a great deal if they work well. Most motors in that range are $40 and up.
The ESC's should be fine, once again, that is a really low price.
The battery rating of 20C is normal for this size range and is good.

Make sure you are choosing a motor with the correct RPM/Volts for your props.

Questions:
1. I imagine that will be hard to predict. I would suggest buying one motor, one ESC and one prop, powering it up, and seeing how much thrust it produces at about 12v or so. I doubt there is any way anyone can really give you an answer, just build a simple mock up and see if you will end up with enough force.
2. I take it that the modules connect over the cell phone network like a call or text message, you feed serial data into one module and it comes out the other. If I am correct, you will need two modules.
3. Power supply for the cell module? Battery charger? Cell balancer? You probably thought of that though.
rp181
Thu Mar 18 2010, 03:24AM
That website is one of those Hong-Kong ones that take brand designs and make their own. They are cheap, but their are rarely any disputes with quality, most common complaint is a bad Kv rating thats off by some. Most all of the quadrocopters I have seen use motors from here.

I think I am going to avoid cellular for now due to cost, but may look into it for the future. Something Ive struggled with:
With a application of this type, what kind of range will 60mW 2.4ghz (XBEE) give me?
Bjørn
Thu Mar 18 2010, 04:11AM
Bjørn Registered Member #27 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 02:20AM
Search for motor propeller calculator and you will find websites and programs that can calculate the thrust with good accuracy. Join some forums like Link2 where you will find all the information you will never need.
rp181
Thu Mar 18 2010, 09:41PM
Thanks.
Can you guys look over this too?
--------------------------------------------- QUADROCOPTER-------------------------------------- ----------------------------
4x http:// www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp? idProduct=4700&Product_Name=hacker_Style_Brushless _Outrunner_20-22L ($14.72)
2x http://www.quadroufo.com/product_info.php? cPath=2_22&products_id=63&osCsid=0ff103e72d7078ca0 6d4af25a19d059a ($8.50)
4x http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/ uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=4312 ($11.90)
1x http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/ uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=2169 ($6.95)
1x http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/ uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=68 ($3.49)
2x http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/ uh_viewItem.asp? idProduct=7634&Product_Name=ZIPPY_Flightmax_4000mA h_3S1P_20C_ ($19.99)

TOTAL: $173.9
------------------------------------------- ------------ELECTRONICS--------------------------- ------------------------------
Link2 ($124.95)-IMU
Link2 Is this needed? ($13.95)-programming
Link2 ($122.95)-main CPU
Link2 ($71.95)-programming
2x Link2 ($37.96)-Xbee
Link2 ($24.95)-PC receive end
Link2 ($9.95)-interface MCU

TOTAL: $ 444.61
------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------

EXPENSIVE!

Is their anything Im missing for a complete setup?
Ken M.
Fri Apr 02 2010, 07:34AM
Ken M. Registered Member #618 Joined: Sat Mar 31 2007, 04:15AM
Nice RP.

I to am working on a Quadcopter albeit mine is going to be RC to begin with but as time progress I'll start adding autonomous operations, now to answer your questions.

Will the motors work YES, I have 20-20L with 9x5 3 blade props and it takes a far bit of strength to keep the motor test assembly in my hand from flying off at full throttle, and from what I have gathered the 10x4.x props are the most popular and produce a good mix of speed and static thrust.

The esc's SHOULD be good enough considering my 20-20L peaks at 13A @ 11.1v full throttle using my 3 blade props, so in theory 18A should work but if you need to go to a bigger motor your limited on how big, kinda why I went WAY over board on my escs and bought the turnigy 40A 50A burst ones Lots of head room with expandability options.

As for if it will fly to help you get some ball park figures Link2 gives some decent thrust calculations, considering your initial concern would be CAN it get off the ground with its fully equipped weight, the calc says 970grams of thrust static at ~7300 RPM so I'd say your looking at a Thrust to weight ratio of about 2:1 it should lift off speed no idea.

As for the compatibility of the IMU and the beagleboard no idea what the board even is (ill look into it) and the link for the IMU doesn't work all the way, I'm using the 6DOF main board

Link2

for mine to provide 4axis of stabilization, 1 rotational and an xyz via an accelerometer all being ran threw STmicros Discovery board

Link2

as for celluar modules not sure, I was planning on using zigbee or xbee modules due to the "claimed" range they get any where from 1000ft to 40miles.

Maybe as a thought you could try carbon fiber frame (that's what I'm gonna use), also if you want more info on quadcopters to help you if you haven't already hit up rcgroups forum, they have a section dedicated to quadcopters that rivals the size of this forums tesla coil section, and in that quad copter forum they have every bit of info ever accumulated from frame material break limit testing, IMU and stabilization boards, motor and prop combos tests thrust calculations and graphs, heck the most of the topics have about 50+ pages of posts.

Hope this helps, and I'll be paying attention to this thread to see how its coming for ya, and try to help with what limited knowledge I have, and good luck.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: