Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Vaxian (17)

Next birthdays
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
05/22 Skynet (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Computer Science
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Dude, where's my storage?

Move Thread LAN_403
Dr. Slack
Sat Dec 26 2009, 12:45PM Print
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
OK, first of all the apologies. I'm using windoze, and as if that wasn't bad enough, Vista flavour. I know most of you, and my workmates, will tell me that I wouldn't have this problem if I was using xyznix ... however ...

I seem to have filled my pathetic 160GB too fast, I'm 40GB short. After right-clicking properties from the top, I've determined that the AppData/local/microshaft/windoze folder is about 40GB big, but it only admits to a few GB in folders and files within. I've clicked and unclicked everything I can see to "see all files", and "don't hide system files" etc, but most of the storage is still there as dark data.

Does anyone know how and where to apply the magic incantation to "really show me all files" please? I'm reluctant to just delete the AppData/.../windows folder, even though I have no windows apps installed on the machine.
Leinad
Sat Dec 26 2009, 03:10PM
Leinad Registered Member #1930 Joined: Wed Jan 14 2009, 07:36PM
Disktective is a very nice small (.5MB) stand alone .exe that visually shows the space folders and files take up.
Link2
Dr. Slack
Sat Dec 26 2009, 04:35PM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
Thanks Leinad, disktective is orders of magnitude faster than explorer for sorting out what's using what, and it shows folders and files that explorer doesn't.

Under AppData/local/...windoze/tempInternet_files it shows a whole other tree that starts Virtualized and then appears to repeat practically all of my files, though somwhat out of date. Deleteing a file from my space doesn't delete it from this newly found tree, though that's in the same session, I'll have to try switching off and on again and see if it updates. Maybe it's some sort of restore point that gets done from time to time. The space it occupies appears to be in addition to my copy of the folders and files. I still can't see this tree from explore. Disktetive only lists, doesn't allow select and delete.

<edit>

From googling, Vista has a different folder structure to XP, then does some mapping to remain a little bit compatible, but I'm not sure that's the reason for this tree.

It appears that Virutlaised files is a function of Vista to get round compatibility issues with programs with low priveldges tht want to write to program_files and other admin-type locations. It directs those writes to virtualised files.

So maybe it's thought at some point in the past that it had a privelidge issue, and duplicated most of my data files into this virtualised space. AFAIC, they're just taking up disc space, I could lose the lot and they'd still be backed up elsewhere, there's no program-related stuff there at all. But I can't get at them with explorer to delete them. How do I tell Vista to drop them? It's a PITA to have 2G free, with 40G inaccessible waste of space going on.

Steve Conner
Sat Dec 26 2009, 05:49PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Link2

So the next question is why did IE try to write to so many protected locations? You should consider that it might be due to some kind of virus or other malware that took over IE. Maybe it wanted to infect all of your files, but ended up making infected copies in the Virtualized folder.

Once you've answered this question to your satisfaction (maybe virus scan the virtualized files somehow?) you can probably delete the bad stuff in one of the following ways:

- Decrease the cache size using the procedure under "Managing the cache" in the above link
- Log in as administrator, and/or turn off User Account Control (UAC) but beware, if the system does have a virus then this might allow it to spread
- Boot from a Linux liveCD that supports NTFS write access, and delete it all that way
- Upgrade to Windows 7 or better still a Mac smile

Make sure you have all the latest updates and patches etc. from Microsoft, and the latest version of IE. (8?)

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: