Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Vaxian (17)

Next birthdays
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
05/22 Skynet (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Computer Science
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

What to do with old computer parts?

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Genocyde
Wed Dec 16 2009, 02:49AM Print
Genocyde Registered Member #1575 Joined: Sun Jul 06 2008, 12:21AM
I have a bunch of old junk computer parts, they still work, they're just kind of outdated. I don't want to just throw them away though, does anyone have any fun ideas? Anything I could do with old RAM sticks or processors or motherboards?
Turkey9
Wed Dec 16 2009, 03:17AM
Turkey9 Registered Member #1451 Joined: Wed Apr 23 2008, 03:48AM
You could build a home server with them. Also a pretty good firewall. Could network them all and experiment with how viruses spread. I've got a bunch of old computers too and make Frankenstein machines... just group together the most ram and add a bunchy of hard drives and use the fastest cpu....quite fun! I haven't done it, but you could build a linux cluster out of them and end up with a pretty powerful machine. If you have done much with linux installing it on one of your scrap machines is a great way to learn! And if nothing else you can always part them out and sell the stuff on eBay.

There, there are some ideas! And not to mention building things that aren't functional, such as sculptures... Have fun!
rp181
Wed Dec 16 2009, 03:24AM
rp181 Registered Member #1062 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2007, 02:01AM
look up beowulf computer clusters.
Hon1nbo
Wed Dec 16 2009, 07:10PM
Hon1nbo Registered Member #902 Joined: Sun Jul 15 2007, 08:17PM
clustering is fun and very easy, however if you do not have matched parts things can get a bit dodgy but still functional for the most part

watching virii (is that the plural/) spread can be interesting, but you must use caution to protect your other assets (e.g. the methods used to infect and monitor must be protected, etc)

there are a gazillion options, and it boils down to what's available and what you want to do

here is a short list of what I think can be done on most any machine of a respectable age (e.g. still has serial or parallel type old): custom musical instrument, a basic oscilloscope, automation for just about anything, a server (in fact my website server is a recycled old computer!), a MAME machine (or other form of video game system, lots of fun to be had with this one), internet linked projects, or if you want a couple more years of normal use on them before turning them into something, slap linux into them!

of course, those are just the ones which preserve the machine intact - I, for one, love making electronic art and sometimes they perform a function in an artistic way sometimes I just make circuit art; the hard drives (assuming they are magnetic disks) make very good gyroscopic stabilizers (there is an instructable for that, he used it on a camera for slow shutter speeds while holding the camera for fantastic results, though you could use it to stabilize other things as well); the RAM might potentially be suitable for use in a RAM PCI-Express card that turns it into data storage; the PSUs can be used as a bench supply with a little modification; the processors can be used to cook things or warm beverages

the list goes on, and on, and on!
Renesis
Wed Dec 16 2009, 08:32PM
Renesis Registered Member #2028 Joined: Mon Mar 16 2009, 08:13PM
JJHman mentions MAME machines, but you can emulate more than just arcade games. There are tons of emulator software for console games too, like Project 64 (N64) and ZSNES (Super nintendo). There are also tutorials on how to modify old console controllers to communicate with serial, paralell and even USB ports. Some graphics card can even be configured with special software to drive its VGA port at PAL or NTSC frequencies so you can play on your tellie: Link2
Genocyde
Wed Dec 16 2009, 08:54PM
Genocyde Registered Member #1575 Joined: Sun Jul 06 2008, 12:21AM
Great ideas guys, thanks. I'll look into clusters, sounds interesting.
Dinges
Thu Dec 17 2009, 02:44AM
Dinges Registered Member #2511 Joined: Mon Dec 07 2009, 02:46AM
Why not give the humble power supply unit (PSU) a little consideration...?

Convert the power supply to variable voltage (1.2-29V) with adjustable current limiting (0.1-10A)?

This one I did last weekend:

1261017073 2511 FT81081 Cimg4151

(notice the potmeters to adjust voltage and current); the cabinet in that picture is the one that PSU and 2 others will end up in, with voltage and current meters.

This one was done about 2 years ago; again, 2.5-29V at 0.1-10A:

1261017073 2511 FT81081 Sophisticated Psus

Convert to a variable voltage (5-60V) with adjustable current limiting (0.1-5A)? This one was done last weekend too:

1261017073 2511 FT81081 55v Psu 2

Convert to an induction heater? (working on that now)

1261017148 2511 FT81081 Induction Heater Trial

Convert to 2.5-25V with 8A current-limit so you can charge a 1.5F capacitorbank? And use it as a powersupply for your own projects (capacitor-discharge spotwelder, for example)?

1261017510 2511 FT81081 Spotwelder Psu

http://picasaweb.google.com/motorconversion/CDSpotwelder#

Or convert to 24V/10A and use it as the powersupply for your CNC machine?

1261017510 2511 FT81081 Cnc Psu 1

1261017510 2511 FT81081 Cnc Psu

http://picasaweb.google.com/motorconversion/CNC#

The AT and ATX power supplies offer near-infinite possibilities for hacking. Link to a how-to (not my idea, BTW):

http://www.thebackshed.com/Windmill/FORUM1/forum_posts.asp?TID=2187&PN=1

The basic schematic for the variable-current modification:

1261017073 2511 FT81081 Oztules Schematic

The possibilities with those supplies are endless....

Peter.
wylie
Sat Dec 19 2009, 12:12AM
wylie Registered Member #882 Joined: Sat Jul 07 2007, 04:32AM
At one point i had an assortment of old Dell boxes (mostly pentium1&2's, 1 pIII lol) all running seti@home. They couldn't compare with the northwood p4 i had at the time in throughput though. Even my Octane could complete more work units in a day than they did in a week. Heck, my lil sparcIPX wasn't much slower than the pentium2's for seti@home. I think the IPX beat them all if you consider watts vs. performance.

I've been thinking about my own rendering farm since i got into using blender and synfig studio, but i've been considering using playstations. Once the ps3 is old enough to be had to for around $200, a 10-node cluster would be pretty attractive. Seems like a poor-mans alternative to server blades. Do they have enough RAM though? The 32mb in a ps2 seemed too small for use in a render farm. (And putting linux on them seemed like a nontrivial task last time i looked.) Is the 256mb in the ps3 going to be enough for each node? I have to go google the typical throughput of a render farm now dangit. But seems like you'd get alot more bang-for-your-kWh going that route. Or maybe build a custom cabinet and use a bunch of pentiumM boards. With electricity prices going up, the power requirements become a bigger concern.

Really, running them at all is a cost/benefit analysis. Home File Server? Sure, probably worth the electricity. Home Automation? Yeah, would be cheap, but you could get something new thats much more efficient and not that expensive. I mean, running a pent2 all the time, even with minimal drive activity (ie, letting em sleep) is using 20-30W just for the CPU. I don't want to try to quantify the overhead of the rest of the system, but you could use a pic micro or some commercially available embedded board that used under 10W total. Just throwing out a number there, might be able to control a home automation system with way less power. I guess it depends on the features.

For whatever use though, you want to consider the power consumption of those old beasts. Even if i hadn't messed up the network settings on my Octane so that i couldn't telnet in anymore, i still would be hard pressed to power it up. 730Watt powersupply. I doubt it actually draws that much, but based on the space-heater like characteristics of the air from its fan....it's using a good amount of power. Now maybe if i needed a space heater, i could use its computational abilities on the side. But it just doesn't make sense to run it only for the computing power.

@Dinges

Very quality work on those mods! The induction heater one is really neat, got more pics/info on that project? I tried winding a gdt on those yellow toroids with poor results. Anyone got a guess as to what material# those are? I only tried ones that had xformer windings on them to begin with, so pretty sure i wasn't using a choke-grade material.
Sat Dec 19 2009, 01:28AM
101111 Registered Member #575 Joined: Sun Mar 11 2007, 04:00AM
A little OT.
Dinges, I really like all the reverse engineering you have done to those ATX SMPSs.
rp181
Sat Dec 19 2009, 02:46AM
rp181 Registered Member #1062 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2007, 02:01AM
wylie:
playstation's are not good for rendering, for the reason you said (low RAM). Linux installing is easy, and if you can't figure that out, a company sells PS3's with yellow dog linux, and even PS3 clusters for supercomputing.
Have you looked at lux render? its great for running a render farm, with very realistic renderings. The built in networking is bad as it distributes chunks. If you are interested, I can send you a program my brother wrote that distributes frames (its only for animations) to each computer. It was tested on 32 computers, each with 2GB of RAM, and a AMD athalon (don't know AMD, equivilant to Intel dual core processors, probably around 2ghz each)
I agree with 101111, great mods! especially the CD spot welder.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: