Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Vaxian (17)

Next birthdays
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
05/22 Skynet (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Computer Science
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Relay computers

Move Thread LAN_403
Renesis
Thu Sept 24 2009, 03:36PM Print
Renesis Registered Member #2028 Joined: Mon Mar 16 2009, 08:13PM
Im having an argument with a friend of mine, and we just cant come to an agreement. So im asking you guys to be the judge. Could a relay computer ever be able to boot Win 95? At least theoretically?

Thanks
Conundrum
Thu Sept 24 2009, 05:51PM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
In theory, if it was able to emulate the 80286 (can simulate the maths co processor) but it would take ages to boot based on the switching speed of the relays.

You'd be able to improve a bit on this by loading the entire memory image directly from a disk (same principle as hibernation recovery on 2000/XP/Vista)

For comparison, my N95 will run windows 95, but takes five minutes to boot up (and that has a >300MHz CPU)
Renesis
Thu Sept 24 2009, 06:16PM
Conundrum wrote ...

In theory, if it was able to emulate the 80286 (can simulate the maths co processor) but it would take ages to boot based on the switching speed of the relays.

You'd be able to improve a bit on this by loading the entire memory image directly from a disk (same principle as hibernation recovery on 2000/XP/Vista)

For comparison, my N95 will run windows 95, but takes five minutes to boot up (and that has a >300MHz CPU)

The fastest relay computer i know of runs at 7Hz. So if my imaginary computer would run at 1Hz the math would look something like this:

300.000.000Hz x 5min / 60 = 25.000.000 Hours

25.000.000 hours / 8760 = 2853,88 years... dead

Good point, it would take some time. The relays would have worn out many times before its even booted. Myth busted.

But back to theory, is there no lower limit to the frequency needed? Arent there any processes that needs constant calculations to be done, like the clock/calendar?
GeordieBoy
Thu Sept 24 2009, 06:22PM
GeordieBoy Registered Member #1232 Joined: Wed Jan 16 2008, 10:53PM
Yeah, you'ld probably have to slow the clock speed down to something in the hundreds of Hertz to allow relays time to switch over! They have longer propagation delays than modern solid-state logic wink

I don't know how many transistors there are on a '286 die, but it would probably need millions of relays to replace them. These would all need to be connected together with wires, which would be a reliability nightmare!

So you'd end up with something that runs incredibly slow, very hot and crashes often. Actually, it probably wouldn't be much different from normal Windows 95.

-Richie,
Bjørn
Thu Sept 24 2009, 06:29PM
Bjørn Registered Member #27 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 02:20AM
My old 80486 computer boots Windows 95 in about 10 seconds at 33 Mhz, so at most 330 million instructions are needed.

Konrad Zuse made computers with standard telephone relays that could do some operations at 40 Hz. I have done some experiments with reed relays and I am sure it is possible to get in the kHz region with small specially designed relays.

330 000 000 / 40 = 8 250 000 seconds = 2292 hours = 95 days

There will be reliability issues but it is within theoretical reach.

(I have ignored the question about who will pay for the 100 000 000 relays, the assembly and the advanced error correcting design needed to get reasonable reliability)

What will take all the relays is not the CPU but the RAM, you need at least one relay per bit. A relay is much more computationally powerful than a transistor and you need far fewer relays than transistors and it is possible to design special relays that can replace a large number of transistors. Just think about it, a single relay can work as a latch, a mux and inverter and in some cases all of those at the same time, replacing a significant number of transistors.
Renesis
Thu Sept 24 2009, 06:43PM
300.000.000Hz x 5min / 60 = 25.000.000 Hours

25.000.000 hours / 8760 = 2853,88 years...

330 000 000 / 40 = 8 250 000 seconds = 2292 hours = 95 days

Not quite the same result, but it is still a ridiculously long time.

(I have ignored the question about who will pay for the 100 000 000 relays, the assembly and the advanced error correcting design needed to get reasonable reliability)

And another nail in the coffin. Thank you guys, that settled our argument shades

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: