northern_lightning (41)
w1vlf (67)
louis.haeb (30)

Next birthdays
06/03 mileswaldron (59)
06/04 muze801 (33)
06/05 HVgeek (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Computer Science
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Baffled by a Sony Program

Move Thread LAN_403
Zonalklism
Wed Apr 22 2009, 01:59PM Print
Zonalklism Registered Member #213 Joined: Sun Feb 19 2006, 05:48PM
I recently downloaded the entire Elfen Lied series, and I am now making a few dvds for me and some fellow anime-loving friends. I am using the titular program to accomplish this task, however I have run into a problem. Even though the total size of the files I have set up to be on the dvd is only 3.06 gigabytes, the program is telling me that the finished product is going to be 20.9 gigs. Obviously this will not even come close to fitting on a dvd. Any ideas?
uzzors2k
Wed Apr 22 2009, 05:43PM
uzzors2k Registered Member #95 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:57PM
It's probably the DVD formating that is to blame for the expansion. Much like when burning audio CDs the files need to be decompressed so they can be read by a player. How long (time) is video series you're putting on the DVD, and what format are they encoded in? You could fit them all on a single DVD as data files, but then you would require a PC or a special DVD player to play them back again.
Zonalklism
Wed Apr 22 2009, 07:09PM
The episodes are 25min a piece, 13 episodes total. Each of the episodes are encoded as .avi files, and they are around 240 - 250 Mb a piece. Since there are 13 episodes, this comes out to ~3gigs.

Considering these statistics, I should be able to fit all of the episodes and background art (for the dvd menus) on one disc, with no compression. I have even tried to split the series into multiple discs, but I have to get it down to 2 episodes per disc before it fits (and then just barely).

This means that the software is considering a 240 mb .avi file to be around 1.7gigs.

Is the software just grossly miscalculating, or am I missing something? I can send you (or anyone) the .dar file (the project file for Sony Vegas) for this project if you would like to take a look at it.
Hon1nbo
Thu Apr 23 2009, 01:41AM
Hon1nbo Registered Member #902 Joined: Sun Jul 15 2007, 08:17PM
when a video program re-codes a file, and you do not re-compress it, it will make VERY large files... I have this issue when I am "warping" my high speed videos in Adobe After Effects, as I do the video splicing and dicing in Premiere, I have to leave them uncompressed for best quality - they start between 10 and 100 MB a piece, but after being run through a video program they get up to 2 GIGs Minimum... most are larger!

check your final output compression settings, and do NOT leave it at uncompressed... that does not mean it is going to compress it more, but that it will keep it at the same compression it is right now (consider your AVIs as archive files, when you choose uncompressed when saving them, what happens? they get bigger... just a little analogy there)

- Jimmy
hotcrazyfruit
Thu Apr 23 2009, 03:09AM
hotcrazyfruit banned on 5/26/2009
Registered Member #1877 Joined: Mon Dec 22 2008, 02:03AM
exactly what uzzors said, its not like the cd or dvd player has a windows API and somewhat powerful hardware to support all the codecs, so it must be decompressed into raw audio files. in addition, it has to add track information(that can be read by the CD player) as well as track numbers and information and such. as a result, your limited by runtime not by file size. (hence why cd's say 80mins on it)
Zonalklism
Thu Apr 23 2009, 01:41PM
DaJJHman wrote ...

when a video program re-codes a file, and you do not re-compress it, it will make VERY large files... I have this issue when I am "warping" my high speed videos in Adobe After Effects, as I do the video splicing and dicing in Premiere, I have to leave them uncompressed for best quality - they start between 10 and 100 MB a piece, but after being run through a video program they get up to 2 GIGs Minimum... most are larger!

check your final output compression settings, and do NOT leave it at uncompressed... that does not mean it is going to compress it more, but that it will keep it at the same compression it is right now (consider your AVIs as archive files, when you choose uncompressed when saving them, what happens? they get bugger... just a little analogy there)

- Jimmy

Oooh, did not know that. I'll get on that right now.
GeordieBoy
Sat Apr 25 2009, 12:59AM
GeordieBoy Registered Member #1232 Joined: Wed Jan 16 2008, 10:53PM
Your AVI files likely use a very efficient compression algorithm like DivX, which is what lets you squeeze lots of video into a few hundred Megabytes. This is fine if you have a PC with the right CODEC installed to perform the necessary DivX decoding and play the files back.

Once you come to putting the episodes onto a Video DVD the application used to burn the disc will decompress the DivX files and then recompress them in MPEG-2 format to play back on a standard DVD player. The problem here is that MPEG-2 compression is not as efficient as something like DivX, so the resulting files will require a lot more space. On the positive side the resulting DVD should comply with the Video DVD standard and should be playable on any hardware DVD player or suitably equipped PC.

There may be an option somewhere in the DVD authoring software to tweak the MPEG-2 compression settings so that you can trade off some quality for playing time. In my software there are options like "HQ High Quality", "SQ standard quality", and "LP Long play." If you have something similar the LP option might let you squeeze the maximum length of video onto the DVD.

You basically have two options, either burn the episodes onto several Video DVDs that will then play on any standard hardware DVD player or PC.

_OR_

Burn the actual AVI files onto a single Data DVD which will then only be playable on a PC with the appropriate CODEC like DivX installed, and possibly a limited number of hardware DVD players that are emerging that can decode DivX MPEG-4 etc

-Richie,
Hon1nbo
Sat Apr 25 2009, 01:38AM
Hon1nbo Registered Member #902 Joined: Sun Jul 15 2007, 08:17PM
If I recall correctly, most DVD players can play non-DVD standard formats... every one I see now has some kind of non-MPEG2 codec listed... I am sure there is one they all have in common that is not Mpeg-2.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: