Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Computer Science
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Wireless malfunction

Move Thread LAN_403
kell
Thu Mar 30 2006, 08:31PM
kell Registered Member #142 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 01:19PM
Went to the microsoft website. They say there are two versions of SP2; single user and IT professional. When I looked for the single user version, it sent me to Autmatic Update for a list of about 40 upgrades, 9 Megs. I have no idea whether this is SP2 or simply the latest upgrades, so I went back and downloaded the professional version. The download went ok, but the setup wizard didn't. It aborted, did some uninstalling and the last message it gave me said the upgrade was incomplete, windows might not run correctly. Thanks, microsoft.

I guess I will go back and get the automatic updates, whatever they are.

Why do I feel like Microsoft and its products belong in the trashcan.

Here's a link to a thread I started about it in a windows newgroup:
Link2
krenshala
Sun Apr 16 2006, 03:50PM
krenshala Registered Member #143 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 04:25PM
If you get the limited or no connectivity problem with the wireless card again, do the following:

1) check the wireless card manager (software for the card where you configure connections, or in XP Control Panel > Network Connections > right click the wireless card > Status) and see if you are getting a wireless connection.

2) if you are getting a wireless connection, make sure you are getting an IP address (ipconfig from a DOS prompt, or the Support tab of the status window above in XP).

Normally, when I see a wireless card with "limited or no connectivity" it has a wireless connection but no IP address. If that is the case it is a Windows network problem and not a problem with the wireless card.

If you don't have a wireless connection, check to see if the computer can see the wireless network you want to be connected to. If it can see it, its probably a configuration problem (maybe the router changed?). If you can't see it then start checking the card. The most reliable steps I've found (for just about any computer hardware, actually) are: uninstall software, remove from device manager, power down, remove card, power up, install software for card, install card, test.

kell
Sun Apr 16 2006, 04:31PM
kell Registered Member #142 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 01:19PM
I finally found out how to get sp2 to install.
My problem stemmed from the fact that I allowed Automatic Update to do its thing, which meant installing a bunch of updates before it got around to installing sp2. Those updates mucked something up.
So I went back and did the recovery again, then IMMEDIATELY installed sp2 from the CD. As a precaution, I did this in safe mode but I bet it would work from a standard Windows boot. The point is: avoid any automatic updates, just install sp2 right away after a recovery.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: