Zajcek (37)
ElectroDog (33)
sportcoupe (56)

Next birthdays
04/30 BlakFyre (36)
04/30 SENTRY (31)
05/01 Shaun (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Chatting
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

lego coil winder

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Marko
Fri Mar 24 2006, 09:21PM Print
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Few days ago I ran at big box of old (mostly technic) lego parts in my wardrobe and tought if I can make some use of it.
This came first to my mind.

I found winding TCs with very thin gauges (0,1 and 0,05mm) horrible punishment, hours of meddling with invisible windings and tripping the wire when get too nervous.

First I tought only to make rail and moving head of technic, but as I had plenty of it I built entire automated winding 'machine'.

Principle is simple: one motor spins the former, PVC tube in this case.
Other one is mounted inside moving head, with excessive amount of reduction (two worm gears, plus its own internal reduction) that makes head need hours to get from one side of rail to another.

There is a wire roll in the head (old telephone relay winding, huge amount of 0,1 wire) and samll amortiser used to jam the wire so it needs force to be pulled out of head, otherwise it would overlap if motor stops.

I use transistor with potentiometer to regulate main motor, so I can adjust speed of rotating and winding stacking exactly to speed of head.

Firstly I had problems with that, head moved too fast and vibrated, roll of wire was outside of it and it pulled head up-down as wire unwinded.
I had to remake entire head, use more reduction, secure it better to prevent vibration and put the roll on it.

Now I finally got it work without problems.
It isnt fast, needs amybe the same amount of time to wind a coil as it would need for winding by hand, but it is far more fun to sit and watch it doing dirty job for me smile

Besides this i doubt im capable of building anything like this of raw materials, it needs micrometer precision so this seemed neatest solution.

I tought about scrapping dead printer and using its precise head with stepper control, that might be a CNC winding machine shades but il have to statisfy with this for now.
For bigger coils I have wooden construction with slow motor but ofcourse wire must be hand-guided there and it is still hard job...

1143235272 89 FT0 Coilwinder
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Sat Mar 25 2006, 05:10AM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
wow....what a trip. pretty cool man
Dr. Drone
Sat Mar 25 2006, 05:56AM
Dr. Drone Registered Member #290 Joined: Mon Mar 06 2006, 08:24PM
shades
vasil
Sat Mar 25 2006, 06:13AM
vasil Registered Member #229 Joined: Tue Feb 21 2006, 07:33PM
Cool!
Good work Firkragg!
Alfons
Sat Mar 25 2006, 09:40AM
Alfons Registered Member #134 Joined: Fri Feb 10 2006, 10:44PM
Indeed! I never had the time nor guts to even start building any automatic coilwire; let alone one made of LEGO!

Great work!
stop4stuff
Sat Mar 25 2006, 11:51AM
stop4stuff Registered Member #64 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:25AM
nice one Firkragg, isn't Lego great :)

i made a Lego/Znap manual coil winder a few years ago, mostly for making coils for alternators/generators, see here
Marko
Sun Mar 26 2006, 05:56PM
Nice one too, actuylly anything is better than winding by hand.
I finished this coil, varnish was bad but this was only a beta-test and winder assed it.
PVC former had few fractures and holes and made some problems, I had two bad overlaps butI managed to unwind them and continue.
It is a bit hard to find equilibrium of rotation speed and head transalation so I must watch it frequently.

I have more pictures if anyone is interested... confused
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Sun Mar 26 2006, 07:10PM
It's just a combination of your gears not being fine enough for the job and the step size not being large enough. I would try maybe one or two wire sizes larger. You might not get any overlaps at that point, of course you have to reprogram everything for the larger wire.

Or what you could do too is see exactly where the overlaps occured, find that turn# and the length and see what your error is and write an error limit function.
Marko
Sun Mar 26 2006, 07:27PM
I said that had overlaps at places where PVC tube had holes, i didnt bother to buy new tube and this was remant actually for garbage.
I just smoothed it a bit but one scratch was really bad and wire flpped around it, maybe 3-4 turns.
It is not some cosmetical not functional failure as you must look carefuly to see it,

Rest of the coil is perfection.

And whole point was to make this wind 0,1 and 0,05mm wires as this sizes are near impossible to wind by hand.
Il also try soon to wind smaller secondary with 0.05 wire, that will be *interesting*...

Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Mon Mar 27 2006, 12:28AM
okay...sorry!
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: