All today's birthdays', congrats!
cbfull (52)
Steve Ward (39)

Next birthdays
05/19 cbfull (52)
05/19 Steve Ward (39)
05/20 Vaxian (17)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Odin The All-Fragger: a large DRSSTC

Move Thread LAN_403
Ash Small
Thu Jul 10 2014, 09:47PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
teravolt wrote ...

to bad a big series diode in the couldn't be added to each IGBT drain to block the reversal. do you think that it would help with hard switching

a big Schottky, maybe?

Instantaneous reverse recovery, and negligible forward voltage drop?

Sigurthr
Thu Jul 10 2014, 11:52PM
Sigurthr Registered Member #4463 Joined: Wed Apr 18 2012, 08:08AM
Blocking the body diode with series and antiparallel schottkys is what I've been doing on my SSTC bridges. I've been wondering how it would perform in a DRSSTC environment. I haven't seen it used on DR coils yet.
Steve Conner
Fri Jul 11 2014, 10:09AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Unlike MOSFETs, IGBTs don't have parasitic body diodes. They have a parasitic zener-transistor-junction thing that breaks down at about 10V.

So when you see an IGBT with a diode built in, the diode is actually a proper fast and soft recovery diode on a separate chip, wire bonded in parallel with the IGBT die. There would be no point in "blocking" it unless you wanted to upgrade an old diode to a newer generation.

One thing *I* haven't seen is the Class-DE snubber capacitors used on a DRSSTC bridge. Well, Steve and Eric probably used them in phase shift controlled QCWs, but I wonder if they would help a lower frequency coil with IGBT bricks.

By a quick back-of-the-envelope calculation, a 50nF snubber capacitor would cut the switching losses of a 300 amp IGBT brick in half when it was operating in the phase lead mode and hard switching 300 amps of inductive current. This is just a rough figure, the actual value depends on the fall time of the specific IGBT.

However, if there wasn't enough commutation current to charge the capacitor, the switching losses would get worse than if there were no capacitor. Basically it moves the point of lowest switching losses from ZCS, to some finite current, which is certainly an advantage in a phase shifted QCW.
Goodchild
Fri Jul 11 2014, 02:15PM
Goodchild Registered Member #2292 Joined: Fri Aug 14 2009, 05:33PM
If I'm not mistaken I asked Steve about his setup, he tried them but never got them working properly, rather he took the simpler approach of just hard switching on turn off and ZCS on turn on, simple and effective. This was a while ago however, I’m not sure if he ever went back to that approach.

I managed to get full ZCS working a little while back. It's an incredibly effective method of switching and allows turn-off anywhere there is enough current to commentate the voltage in the parallel capacitor. In some cases you don't even need external snubbers, most of the time the parasitic capacitance of the switch is enough to commutate the voltage. Usually external capacitance is added when there is not enough rise or fall time for the switch to transition. Even then usually only a couple nF has to be added to extend the rise and fall time to 100nS or more.

The two reasons I like it is that it allows you to do phase-sift modulation of the bridge current and also completely eliminates spikes/nasty transients. You get a lovely linear rise/fall time with a dV/dt of your choosing.

The last benefit is that EMI and harmonics from bridge transitions are heavily reduced, due to the rise and fall times being much sallower. In contrast to ZCS where they must be as close to square as possible.

The disadvantage however is complexity. Such a setup is tedious to setup and tune and requires a very complicated controller. I used an FPGA, and Steve I think used a Soc.
I think that for a normal DR the advantages don’t out way the added complexity. However in a QCW, this added control allows you to eliminate the class D modulator hardware, so the added complexity balances out in the end.
Steve Conner
Fri Jul 11 2014, 03:18PM
Interesting info, thanks. I don't see how it adds much complexity to a normal DRSSTC, surely with a phase lead DRSSTC driver you can just add the snubber capacitors and turn the phase lead up a little more?

My PLL driver can be phase shift modulated by hooking a voltage in place of the target phase pot. I was wondering if this would be a good way of controlling a halfbridge Class-DE QCW.

With a halfbridge, you can't phase shift two bridge legs against each other, so phase shift modulation degenerates to either PWM or detuning. I'm proposing to do it by detuning upwards, so the current will be inductive and suitable for Class-DE commutation.
Goodchild
Sat Jul 12 2014, 01:25AM
Steve Conner wrote ...

Interesting info, thanks. I don't see how it adds much complexity to a normal DRSSTC, surely with a phase lead DRSSTC driver you can just add the snubber capacitors and turn the phase lead up a little more?

My PLL driver can be phase shift modulated by hooking a voltage in place of the target phase pot. I was wondering if this would be a good way of controlling a halfbridge Class-DE QCW.

With a halfbridge, you can't phase shift two bridge legs against each other, so phase shift modulation degenerates to either PWM or detuning. I'm proposing to do it by detuning upwards, so the current will be inductive and suitable for Class-DE commutation.

I wish it was that easy, but phase lead is only the first part of the equation, you also need an extended dead-time between the high and low side switch transitions.

This dead time is = the rise + fall times. On most of the bridges I played with this amounted to about 250nS dead time, with a 400KHz Fres. For slower transistors (like bricks) this dead time will be even larger.

The problem is that this dead-time can't be introduces at the gates of the IGBTs because it would cause the IGBT to operate in the linear region for a large part of that dead time, it's also impractical to implement such a long RC when the gate C is so small.

So the only other option is to create it before the gate drive; for GDT drives this means 2 GDTs and added driver circuitry and delay circuit. Phase moderation adds even more circuitry on top of this setup.

I implemented every part except for the GDT drivers in an FPGA, this made all the parameters of the circuit, dead-time, phase lead, etc controllable and digitally tun-able.

I tried an analog version of this circuit before the FPGA, and although it works it was much more fussy and used a needless amount of analog cludgery.
Steve Conner
Sat Jul 12 2014, 04:44PM
Oh, I think I have all that analog cludgery already. smile My PLL driver has a deadtime generator that inserts periods of 0V into the gate drive output, so it goes +12V, 0V, -12V, etc.

The 0V step seems to work OK when driving smaller devices directly, as it applies 0V to all of the gates. This doesn't turn them off as fast as a negative voltage would, though.

The outboard drivers translate both -12V and 0V into -12V, so the output from them is textbook stuff.
Thomas W
Sat Jul 12 2014, 05:17PM
Thomas W Registered Member #3324 Joined: Sun Oct 17 2010, 06:57PM
Steve Conner wrote ...

Oh, I think I have all that analog cludgery already. smile My PLL driver has a deadtime generator that inserts periods of 0V into the gate drive output, so it goes +12V, 0V, -12V, etc.

The 0V step seems to work OK when driving smaller devices directly, as it applies 0V to all of the gates. This doesn't turn them off as fast as a negative voltage would, though.

The outboard drivers translate both -12V and 0V into -12V, so the output from them is textbook stuff.

Oh? i thought it went +24, 0v -12v?
Steve Conner
Sat Jul 12 2014, 05:23PM
The PLL driver board's own output is bipolar for driving GDTs. If you want a waveform to pass through a transformer, it has to be symmetrical (to be pedantic, the positive and negative areas must be equal) so when using a GDT the positive and negative gate voltages must also be equal.

The outboard drivers use a small GDT followed by a MOSFET stage, so they don't have this limitation. The MOSFET stage turns +12V input into +24V output, and 0 and -12 go to -12V output.
Goodchild
Tue Jul 15 2014, 01:30AM
Hmm well the you may be good to give it a try, particularly if you already drive the gates individually via high side gate drive. I would say give it a go.

I have found that tuning the ZVS in spice gives a good ball part before trying it on the real thing.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: