Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
mileswaldron (59)

Next birthdays
06/04 muze801 (33)
06/05 HVgeek (33)
06/05 jmorlockny (50)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Computer Science
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

wireless link between microcontroller and computer

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Avi
Wed Jun 25 2008, 03:12AM Print
Avi Registered Member #580 Joined: Mon Mar 12 2007, 03:17PM
I am trying to create a link from outside the house to inside the house, i am using a visual basic program on the computers end, and i am having enormous trouble using these 'wireless modules' which can be found on Link2
a) unreliable to get a signal from that distance/position
b) even when i occasionally do there is so many errors, i dont know how to deal with it (i have tried multiple things)

Does anyone know of a hassle free easy way to do this using cheap and easy to obtain parts in Australia?
my computer has a serial port, bluetooth, and wifi, if that helps.
Ken M.
Wed Jun 25 2008, 01:39PM
Ken M. Registered Member #618 Joined: Sat Mar 31 2007, 04:15AM
1st thing to help solve the problem would be to know what you are making.

Also If you would link ur Schematic It help help also, considering this thing looks like it needs an encoder decoder system maybe.
Dave Marshall
Wed Jun 25 2008, 07:49PM
Dave Marshall Registered Member #16 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 02:22PM
Your link doesn't go directly to the modules you speak of, so its somewhat difficult to determine exactly what would help, but here are some starting points.

Antenna: A hunk of wire will work, but not well. You need to know the feed point impedance first off. If these are the 433MHz modules I think they are, it will be a 50 ohm unbalanced feedpoint impedance.

A 433MHz 4 or 5 element Yagi or Cubical Quad directional antenna would be trivial to construct, and one on each end could increase your effective signal strength by nearly an order of magnitude. There are myriad websites that describe various antenna designs for ham radio, and 433MHz just happens to fall in the 70cm ham band. A 5 element cubical quad would fit inside a shoe box and cost less than $5 to build it you didn't already have everything.

Elevation: Get the antenna on both ends up. As high as is practical, or at the very least try to find an unobstructed path. 433MHz is susceptible to scattering from foliage, buildings, heavy precipitation, etc.

High error rates can be caused by a number of things. Signal distortion (a transmitter/receiver problem), signal fade (antennas will fix that), direct interference from other radiators, or indirect interference in the form of receiver desensitization due to a nearby powerful transmitter on a harmonic frequency. To say those modules lack filtering is an understatement. Decreasing the data rate or adding parity can help, but only so much.

Give us some details, I'm sure we can help you get something working. If I can bounce a 430MHz signal off the moon with a $200 radio and be heard on the other side of the earth, we can get your signal a few hundred yards :)

Dave
Avi
Thu Jun 26 2008, 01:16AM
1st thing to help solve the problem would be to know what you are making
remote generator monitor
Also If you would link ur Schematic It help help also
attached
and if you want to know why i have a comparator in there, well the output current is not high enough to drive the cmos/ttl input input of the max232 chip
Antenna: A hunk of wire will work, but not well. You need to know the feed point impedance first off. If these are the 433MHz modules I think they are, it will be a 50 ohm unbalanced feedpoint impedance.
is a '315/433.92Mhz Hybrid'
transmitter datasheet: Link2
reciever datasheet: Link2
are they even meant to work together? the transmitter says ASK and the reciever says on-off keyed
yeh it says 50 ohm, im using a breadboard, does that factor into it? (Xc)
A 433MHz 4 or 5 element Yagi or Cubical Quad directional antenna
oh, i guess ill have to look up about those, no idea really
since its hybrid what frequency should i even use?
Elevation: Get the antenna on both ends up. As high as is practical, or at the very least try to find an unobstructed path. 433MHz is susceptible to scattering from foliage, buildings, heavy precipitation, etc.
this is just about impossible due to the location i need to put it in (about the plants), only thing i could do is stand it on something to lift it up a bit suprised
High error rates can be caused by a number of things. Signal distortion (a transmitter/receiver problem), signal fade (antennas will fix that), direct interference from other radiators, or indirect interference in the form of receiver desensitization due to a nearby powerful transmitter on a harmonic frequency. To say those modules lack filtering is an understatement. Decreasing the data rate or adding parity can help, but only so much.
It works if i have them together in the same room, so im mostly sure the circuit is ok.
Im running them at 1200 baud
Give us some details, I'm sure we can help you get something working. If I can bounce a 430MHz signal off the moon with a $200 radio and be heard on the other side of the earth, we can get your signal a few hundred yards :)
are you going to hack into my signal? (joking)

1214443002 580 FT48284 Circuit1
Bjørn
Thu Jun 26 2008, 01:59AM
Bjørn Registered Member #27 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 02:20AM
The transmitting frequency depends on the crystal. Find the crystal frequency and multiply with 64 and you will probably get the transmitting frequency. The chips themselves often work at a range of 300-1000 MHz. The modules are fitted with different crystals depending on what they are used for and where they are supposed to be sold.
aonomus
Thu Jun 26 2008, 06:02AM
aonomus Registered Member #1497 Joined: Thu May 22 2008, 05:24AM
If you are trying to send data (ie: serial), an xbee module might be the way to go since it is designed for data, has error checking/correction and is a rx/tx pair (remote control generator anyone?) The basic version only goes 100m, the more expensive version can go supposedly up to a mile.

Also, isn't your 3.3v regulator missing smoothing caps on the input/output and more importantly a stepdown transformer? The 7833 won't handle 120vdc input, but a small transformer (even a bell transformer from home depot) could step it down to 12v which is reasonable with a small heatsink.

Edit: datasheet
Avi
Thu Jun 26 2008, 06:24AM
The transmitter does not have a crystal, the reciever crystal only has the text "V6772CAH004" on it.
120v?!?!?! try 6v!
clearly some logic would indicate i am not attempting to recharge a 6v battery with 120v!

yeh, ive heard about these xbee modules, though have not found one yet at an actual store.
and would probably still need to build an antenna anyway?
Bjørn
Thu Jun 26 2008, 06:47AM
Bjørn Registered Member #27 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 02:20AM
6.772 MHz * 64 = 433.408 MHz
Sounds about right.
Avi
Thu Jun 26 2008, 07:09AM
oh, i designed my '1 wire' antenna for the lower frequency. Maybe i should cut it smaller then. I wonder if the thickness has any importance.
aonomus
Thu Jun 26 2008, 07:41AM
aonomus Registered Member #1497 Joined: Thu May 22 2008, 05:24AM
Avi wrote ...

The transmitter does not have a crystal, the reciever crystal only has the text "V6772CAH004" on it.
120v?!?!?! try 6v!
clearly some logic would indicate i am not attempting to recharge a 6v battery with 120v!

yeh, ive heard about these xbee modules, though have not found one yet at an actual store.
and would probably still need to build an antenna anyway?

The xbee modules are almost *always* ordered in from the internet. The modules can either be ordered with built in antenna, or (I believe, not 100% sure, check datasheets) with a SMA connector (more useful for the pro with directional cantenna or any wifi antenna since its 2.4ghz already)
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: