Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Vaxian (17)

Next birthdays
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
05/22 Skynet (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Computer Science
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

soft reset after POST

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
ramses
Thu Jan 03 2008, 06:08PM Print
ramses Registered Member #1208 Joined: Thu Jan 03 2008, 05:30PM
well i took an old computer apart (200mhz processor), to see if i could get a bigger hard drive to work in it(it had a 1.5gb HDD in it. not a typo 1500mb). it ended up being a pain to get out. i ended up taking the cd drive out, the power away from the MOBO, and everything like that. after plugging everything back in, it gave me a RAM error (beeps) i cleaned them with an eraser, and put it back in. then it was a video error and i did the same thing. that didn't work, so i started stripping it down. HDD, CD rom, sound+network cards. then it tried to boot and couldn't, so i put in my windows ME boot floppy, and it booted from that. i tried again, and it wouldn't try to boot!. after a few times i got a video error, so I cleaned that again. I got it to try to boot again after everything was removed besides vid. card, CPU and RAM. I tried again, and it didn't work. i checked the MOBO for split caps, and to see if it was shorted against the case. another weird thing: when it resets, the CPU fan keeps spinning, and the voltage on the HDD power connector stays on. i read that it could be the reset switch, so i unplugged that and it didn't help. the weird thing is that it worked before i messed with it. no components were changed. I WOULD just zap it with the 2.9kv cap bank i have coming, but my dad doesn't want me taking apart a descent computer because i broke that one. 400 mhz ram is kinda slow, isn't it? thanks in advance.
Andrew H
Thu Jan 03 2008, 07:37PM
Andrew H Registered Member #1198 Joined: Sat Dec 29 2007, 05:39AM
Most MoBos have a jumper to reset the CMOS to factory default. If that doesn't work you may have to wipe the HDD and reinstall from scratch. To get it to boot try stripping it down to the bare bones (ram, HDD and CPU, use the onboard video if your MoBo has it) and booting.

You might also want to try using canned air to blow any dust out of the MoBo connectors. It's possible that some dust got in there and is causing a short.

One final problem might be the PSU. If the PSU is failing computers respond in all sorts of creative ways. If you have a spare PSU try that out.
ramses
Thu Jan 03 2008, 09:18PM
i tried booting it with just the cpu, ram and vid. card. (no onboard video) the MOBO power is 2 6 pin connectors and i dont have any old PSU's that i know of. the thing that bugs me it that it worked before I took it apart, and now it doesn't. what exactly would have failded in the PSU so suddenly. another possible problem is that after it wouldn't boot, i switched the 2 6 pin power connectors to the motherboard, but I have had it successfully "try to boot" after that incident. thanks for the tip about the dust. I never thought dead skin cells were conductive!

EDIT: is DDR2 ram still hard to insert like SDRAM?
Bjørn
Fri Jan 04 2008, 03:05AM
Bjørn Registered Member #27 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 02:20AM
Old computers can fail suddenly like that. Some times they have broken conductors on the PCB and any stress on the PCB will make it fail completely or behave erratically. If the problem seems to change it is usually a sign that it will never recover.

If it is the connectors corroding then spraying something like CRC 5-56 Link2 on all connectors can help a lot.

On my new computer the DDR2 modules were reasonably easy to insert, not like the old SD-RAM ones that left imprints on your thumbs for a day.
Electroholic
Fri Jan 04 2008, 03:08AM
Electroholic Registered Member #191 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 02:01AM
Try taking the mobo out of the tower and boot it outside, sometimes if you tighten the screws too much, it will give you trouble.

as for DDR2 rams, they are still cardedge style.
ramses
Fri Jan 04 2008, 01:58PM
thanks! do you think pushing the ram into the MOBO broke something. I heard that when the xbox 360 overheated it bowed the MOBO and de-soldered itself. I was bending the MOBO a lot to stick the RAM in there. I ended up getting on top of it and pushing down. would WD 40 work instead of the CRC 5-56? If none of that works, where should i fry it with the 2.9kj cap bank?
Bjørn
Fri Jan 04 2008, 03:22PM
Bjørn Registered Member #27 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 02:20AM
WD-40 should do the trick just as well. I have never broken a new motherboard even when using excessive force but I have had some old ones fail by just flexig them by a tiny amount. My theory is that it is hairline cracks in the PCB since it seems to depend on force and temperature and it is impossible to get them stable again. When they get to that stage they generally get worse until they fail completely. They also have an annoying habit to improve when you tinker with something unrelated and soon develop even worse problems.

Fry it outside and wear protective goggles.
ramses
Fri Jan 04 2008, 03:31PM
thanks! if i do fry it, where should i hook up the leads? i'm thinking the power to the MOBO, but for maximum effect is there any place that would be better? Maybe i can use the case to house the charger or something.
Wolfram
Fri Jan 04 2008, 06:33PM
Wolfram Registered Member #33 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 01:31PM
Between the 5V input and ground should be good.
ramses
Fri Jan 04 2008, 06:59PM
i took the MOBO out of the tray, dusted it off, took off the fan + heatsink/ dusted them off. there was crap between the heatsink and CPU, so i wiped both surfaces with rubbing alcohol. (no thermal compound). put it all together and now it won't even beep, or turn on the energy star monitor. to the 2.9kj cap bank! ;(
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: