All today's birthdays', congrats!
Matthew T. (35)
Amrit Deshmukh (60)

Next birthdays
05/05 Alexandre (32)
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Radiation
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

A Short Loaded Dipole for 20m

Move Thread LAN_403
Chris Russell
Fri Dec 21 2007, 11:15PM Print
Chris Russell ... not Russel!
Registered Member #1 Joined: Thu Jan 26 2006, 12:18AM
Greetings,

As some of you may know, I've been trying to get on the air lately, but I have an extremely limited amount of space in which to do so. I live in a bottom-floor aparment, and the building sits on an extremely small lot: roughly 60 feet by 110 feet (18m by 34m). My first antenna was a magnetic loop, which peformed quite well, but is rather large, heavy, and needs to be tuned constantly.

So, I decided to put together a loaded dipole. A dipole would have the advantage of being fairly broadband, while doing a good job of radiating. The dipole can be shortened by using a loading coil. Greater efficiency is possible by using a loading coil near the center of each leg, but this complicates the feedpoint of the antenna somewhat. I decided that a center-loaded dipole would be the best bet, as this would allow me to feed the antenna with a simple coupling loop. Additionally, a center-loaded dipole only needs one loading coil, which saves some time and effort. After running some figures through a simulator, I determined that a 16' (4.9m) long dipole could easily be more than 50% efficient on the 20m band, meaning it would perform less than 3dB (half an s-unit) down from a full-sized halfwave dipole.

Construction:

1198272755 1 FT0 Sp1060475

The dipole, from a distance. The PVC sections are 4' long, making the plastic section of the dipole a little more than 8' long. The pieces are not glued, for ease of assembly.

1198272755 1 FT0 Sp1060484

A closer look, showing the coax leading away.

1198272755 1 FT0 Sp1060476

Each leg of the dipole is capped, and the cap is drilled out to accept a 3/8 bolt. I then attached the adjustable whip section. These were borrowed from a cheapo hamstick antenna, but similar hardware can be found elsewhere for cheap. The whips are 4' (1.2m) long. A stranded section of 14awg runs along the length of the PVC, secured by cable ties.

1198272755 1 FT0 Sp1060477

The ends droop a bit. It doesn't seem to hurt anything.

1198272755 1 FT0 Sp1060478

The center of the dipole is a PVC T-fitting, drilled out to accept a standard PL-259 socket. I also sealed the socket with silicone caulk, just in case moisture buildup became a problem. You can also see the coax here, and the clip-on ferrites that I use to prevent RF feedback issues. These are not really necessary, I just figured I would include them as a precautionary measure.

1198272755 1 FT0 Sp1060479

The other end of the antenna.

1198272755 1 FT0 Sp1060480

This is how I joined the loading coil to the 14AWG wire that runs to each end cap. Note that this is zinc-plated hardware, and the wires are copper. This joint needs to be waterproofed, or it will eventually corrode. Brass would be a better choice for this hardware.

1198272755 1 FT0 Sp1060481

The other side.

1198272755 1 FT0 Sp1060483

And, finally, the loading coil and coupling loop. The loading coil is 68 turns of 14AWG solid copper wire on a section of 1/2" PVC. Each end of the loading coil connects to each leg of the dipole. The coupling loop is 3 turns of the same wire, wound over the loading coil, spaced slightly wider. The coupling loop is simply connected to the coax.

Results:

The whips need careful adjustment to bring the antenna into resonance. Right now, the antenna is tuned to 14.040MHz, with an SWR of 1.5:1 or less from 14.000-14.120MHz. SWR is less than 2:1 to 14.170MHz. However, the antenna is rather close to the ground at this point, and the usable bandwidth may be approximately halved at an appreciable height above ground.

To test the performance of the antenna, I scheduled a QSO with Dave, AB3I, via PSK31. Over the nearly 2,000km path, results were very good, even down to power levels of 5 watts.
ShawnLG
Sat Dec 22 2007, 08:09AM
ShawnLG Registered Member #286 Joined: Mon Mar 06 2006, 04:52AM
That is nice work Chirs. You should install the antenna on top of that shed to give it some height.
Chris Russell
Sat Dec 22 2007, 06:54PM
Chris Russell ... not Russel!
Registered Member #1 Joined: Thu Jan 26 2006, 12:18AM
Yes, it does need some height. Unfortunately the shed is not mine, and is the subject of a dispute between the owner of this building and the neighbor. In the background of the first picture, you can see the base of my small homebrew tower. Eventually, I will dig that out, fix it up (a plow truck broke it a few weeks ago), and attach a 10 foot section of PVC, giving me about 13 feet of elevation. Not much, but it should improve performance considerably. Then, when the snow melts, I'll get another performance increase, as the 5' tall snow drifts will no longer be absorbing my RF.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: