Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Computer Science
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Password rememberall

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
dexter
Thu Jan 08 2015, 11:11PM
dexter Registered Member #42796 Joined: Mon Jan 13 2014, 06:34PM
simple fix change the password to incorrect so that when you forget it the computer will tell you "Your password is incorrect" :)
BigBad
Fri Jan 09 2015, 01:50AM
BigBad Registered Member #2529 Joined: Thu Dec 10 2009, 02:43AM
Have you tried LastPass?

That's what LastPass does.
Fysac
Sun Jan 11 2015, 08:50PM
Fysac Registered Member #44377 Joined: Tue Apr 08 2014, 09:27PM
LastPass and KeePass are both very good options for the criteria you listed. Strong crypto, browser autofill, and portable enough.

LastPass encrypts your passwords locally, uploads the hashes to its database, and syncs them over all your browsers. You use a single master password to decrypt them.

KeePass is just a local encrypted database file that you can save anywhere, like on a flash drive or cloud storage. Same master password situation. It's a little more work than with LastPass, but I tend to trust it more due to its FOSS nature.

Either one you choose, these are your best bet for convenience and security.
Dr. Slack
Mon Jan 12 2015, 10:30AM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
I still haven't been convinced how any of those is better than what I have, or had anybody point out any significant flaw in mine. It does not need a data base, anywhere, so there's nothing to sync. It will run on any browser, so can deliver a password at any time you might want one. There is nothing special in the algorithm, save for SHA-1, so no physical space for a backdoor to exist, and it's FOSS so you can see it doesn't. You can always replace SHA-1 with one of the SHA-2s if you don't like its age, available from the same Chris Veness moveable type guy (first hit on google for 'sha-2 javascript'). Perhaps I'll put it github or codereview to see if that flushes out any criticism.
Avalanche
Mon Jan 12 2015, 12:30PM
Avalanche Registered Member #103 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:16PM
Use the same password for everything, and remember it (never write it down)

AND

for every service that you sign up to, add some random characters to the end of your 'remembered' password. You can write these characters down, or even put them on post-it notes.

Then you only have to remember one password, and you can write the extra characters down because they will be useless to anyone without the rest of the password smile
BigBad
Mon Jan 12 2015, 07:18PM
BigBad Registered Member #2529 Joined: Thu Dec 10 2009, 02:43AM
First let me say, perfect security doesn't exist.

Bruce Schneier who is an expert on passwords says you should basically always write down your passwords.

The main purpose of passwords is to avoid joe random on the internet from cracking your account- they don't have access to your written down passwords.

But still, security is a personal thing, if you need protection from people near to you, and you're worried about people breaking in and finding the passwords, then you should take additional steps.

The idea that Avalanche suggests, of using the same password for everything is about the worst advice conceivable. Many sites have atrocious security and crackers breaking into sites will often find a list of passwords that they can then go around the internet with. If you have reused your password, then they can log in, everywhere and create mayhem, particularly sites like Amazon are very problematic.

It's sometimes reasonable to divide sites into 'low security' and 'high security'. High security is sites like email, online stores etc. Low security is forums. Using the same password on low security sites is probably reasonable, but all high security sites must have long, very difficult to guess and completely unique passwords.

That's where tools like LastPass come in; that permits you to manage multiple high security sites with (reasonable, but never perfect) security.
Fysac
Mon Jan 12 2015, 07:21PM
Dr. Slack wrote ...

Perhaps I'll put it github or codereview to see if that flushes out any criticism.
Please do that. I'd like to see it - not necessarily for criticism, I'm just interested is all.
Avalanche
Mon Jan 12 2015, 07:26PM
Avalanche Registered Member #103 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:16PM
BigBad wrote ...

The idea that Avalanche suggests, of using the same password for everything is about the worst advice conceivable.

I don't think you actually read my post wink
Fysac
Mon Jan 12 2015, 07:29PM
Even using the same base password for everything is a bad idea. If that base is discovered, it's trivial for an attacker to bruteforce the remaining few characters and compromise any of your other accounts. The best kind of password is a long, completely unique, and unpredictable sequence of characters.
Dr. Slack
Tue Jan 13 2015, 06:42AM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
Fysac wrote ...

Dr. Slack wrote ...

Perhaps I'll put it github or codereview to see if that flushes out any criticism.
Please do that. I'd like to see it - not necessarily for criticism, I'm just interested is all.

It's already posted as an attachment above. It has an extra .txt extension to pass the board's attachment filter.

To save you scrolling up, it's Link2 here
 1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: