Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Vaxian (17)

Next birthdays
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
05/22 Skynet (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Computer Science
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Hubuntu

Move Thread LAN_403
Dr. Slack
Tue Oct 16 2007, 02:15PM Print
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
Ok, that's got the first bit, the name, sorted.

What I want is a low power home hub general purpose PC that does everything. Probably AMD Geode / Linux. But when I took my specification to the Linuxistas at work, they all drew air through their teeth and backed away. Now is this because what I want to do is difficult, or impossible, or just takes a lot more investment in time and getting to grips with than they were prepared to explain to me?

Simple enough spec really. A box, with several Ethernet and USB ports, and a WiFi AP. DSL cable modem to one port. Implements internet firewall, and shares the connection to the radio and cabled ethernet ports, with timed user permissions. Shares hard disks, with permissions, to users. Various printers plug into USB, visible to all users, perhaps even a scanner. All the users would be XP initially. I did look at the Freescale NAS box initially, but this differentiaites between wired and WiFi users of printers, and is not as general purpose.

Does such a bundle exist? How much effort, starting from zero Linux, would I need to put one together? I know all the resources exist out there somewhere, but are any tailored tutorials for this sort of application. Or is this too ambitious for a learning project, and I should just get a single user machine together to play with first? By current practice I'm windoze only, but there's been plenty of command line, assembler, VAX-VMS type experience in the past, and I much prefer a well documented script to any number of gooey wizards to do stuff.

I am sure there must be many people like me with this requirement, there may be an opportunity for somebody to peddle a value-added bundle that does just this?

Tue Oct 16 2007, 02:34PM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
Well, the wifi AP can be very easy if you have well supported card. You just do something like yum install madwifi, and then use the tools to set up whatever you need.

Implementing the firewall is equally as easy, just use iptables. There is even support for routes that are only active for a certian time period. Although to the best of my knowledge three isn't any nice GUIs that can do advanced route editing.

Samba can be used to share data/printers easily, which per-user permissions. Although if you get any linux boxen running I would rather use sshfs for data shares and using cups (the printer daemon) directly for sharing the printers.

As to the scanned, there is the SANE scanner server, which does support having clients connect over the network, and there is a client for it that works under windows called XSane.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no distro that comes preconfigured out of the box to do what you want. However, all of the big ones come with samba, iptables, and cups, and sane is an easy download.

I would expect it to take about 20-50 hours for you to get it workng perfectally.
Steve Conner
Tue Oct 16 2007, 03:19PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
It took me a good few months of evenings and weekends to get about half of what you described, and I had a few years of previous Linux experience. You'd be surprised how much more of an investment in time and effort it is than *anyone* would be prepared to explain to you. There's a reason why free software is free.

I still have to use an external router-modem-firewall-Wi-Fi-access-point thingy, but that's no great problem since my ISP gave me it free anyway. And I haven't dared to open the can of worms that is printing under *nix.

I used an old 733MHz Compaq P3 that consumes about 75W by the time the modem-router and UPS are added in.

Here's what I did get working:

File sharing on my home network with Samba, and anywhere else with SFTP and w2box. I chose samba because I mostly run XP for my desktop, and the linux box sits headless in a cupboard. :P

Backups of all my other machines with rsync. I used Cygwin to get rsync on my windows machines.

High quality MP3s and streaming internet radio, controllable from any other machine, using mpd, mplayer, phpMP, and a Delta-66 24-bit soundcard.

Source code control for my programming projects with CVS (should have used Subversion instead though)

On a related note, I managed to get CVS to control my Firefox bookmarks too, so they are the same on every machine I use, at home, work or wherever.

Lately, a nifty LCD display that promises to be able to control mpd and mplayer too. :)

I'll try adding a print server one day if I'm feeling masochistic wink But it has already paid for itself several times over with the source code control and Apache/PHP/MySQL facilities. It's currently awaiting a hard drive upgrade so I can start backing up the 320GB drive that holds my audio projects...
Dr. Slack
Tue Oct 16 2007, 07:29PM
There's a reason why free software is free.

Even stuff I pay for (or should have paid for) doesn't always do [ What I think it should | What I want it to | What it says on the tin | What I hoped it would do | What the guy at work said it should do ]

but I take the general point

So does anybody want to create one and sell it to people like me (I'll take a small marketting cut for defining the product), I'll beta-site it for you.
Dr. Slack
Mon Nov 19 2007, 08:14AM
Perhaps Windows Home Server fits my specification quite well? Comments? I don't really want to sell what's left of my soul to Bill, but I guess his business model came from somewhere.
thedatastream
Mon Nov 19 2007, 03:47PM
thedatastream Registered Member #505 Joined: Sun Nov 19 2006, 06:42PM
PC Pro carried a favourable review of Home Server in its last edition. Or at least, the last edition that my Dad gave me.

I've got minimal Linux experience but have managed to set up an Xbox with Debian running Samba as a backup server by closely following a HOWTO and a bit of imagination. However, RAID and other things have eluded me so far and I shafted the bloody thing by trying to upgrade the Kernel. Back to square 1 possibly.

I would love to do something like this using Linux, however I suspect repeated inquiries from "the Boss" about where this backup drive is might slow things down.

One of the best things about doing a server like this is if you get an SSH client, you can admin it using the laptop whilst sat on the sofa watching the wife watching Holby City wink no more antisocial computing

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: