Zajcek (37)
ElectroDog (33)
sportcoupe (56)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

"First" Coilgun

1 2 3
Move Thread LAN_403
Wed Mar 08 2006, 05:54AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
WilliamN gave a pretty detailed description of what he used... There is a schematic in the thread somewhere. I wouldn't worry about the mosfet driver, just use the 10ohm resistor and 12v supply for the 555.

For a project like this I would stay away from a mot. You could get a 240v->something wall transformer and plug the output into a corresponding 120v transformer to give about 340v when full wave rectified... Add a few 1n4007's and 5uf caps and you have 700w to play with. And it will be limited to a few watts, so it won't be as dangerous as a mot (but still should be considered deadly, especially when combined with a cap)

Good Luck!
Michael Witt
Wed Mar 08 2006, 01:35PM
Michael Witt Registered Member #282 Joined: Sat Mar 04 2006, 11:45PM
The only reason I was thinking about a mot is because I can talk to a guy at my dad's work who can probably get me some BIG caps.
(The company he works for is G. T. Schmidt, a company that makes Nd:YAG and (recently started making) CO2 pump lasers for marking, they are the ones that make the lasers that mark most GM vin tags visible through the car window) and they usually have a few extra caps. He's already given me 5 PC-104 computers, and a dozen good stepper motor controllers; so I'm sure he'd be willing to give me a few extra caps, or a PS from one of the lasers.

[Added:]
I'm working on a PS now, I should have it posted in a little while.
1141865581 282 FT1630 Ps
Simon
Thu Mar 09 2006, 01:25AM
Simon Registered Member #32 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 08:58AM
That circuit looks okay, except using a resistive divider for any major power control is inefficient and inelegant.

If you can design a circuit to disconnect the charger when the cap is at the right voltage (op-amp + relay, for example) then using the undivided output from the PSU will be a much better solution.
Michael Witt
Thu Mar 09 2006, 01:38AM
I guess I've been obsessed with resistive dividers recently....
I was also thinking it would be cheaper than anything else...
and I don't know any other ways sad

How would the Op amp work? As an inverter, controlling a relay, the NC side being charging, the NO side being done charging? Then how would I get the voltage down to the right voltage so that it doesn't blow up the chip? (resistive divider? amazed)

What capicatance/voltage should the cap be?

One other thing, know any way to make a light / LED indicating thet the cap is done charging? Like the way you see in a flash unit in a disposable camera?
Thu Mar 09 2006, 02:18AM
what is the device in the center of your schematic? A camera charger?

The easiest way to make this work would be to get a logic gate that has hysteresis on the input (a mosfet driver would e great), and use a resistive divider from the cap to the input of the ucc chip. Use the bleeder resistor for the cap(s) as one half the divider, and use a variable resistor about 1/5 of the bleeder cap for the other half. Hook the mosfet driver in the middle, and use the output either to control the charger directly, or use it to control a relay (make sure to have a diode antiparallel to the coil so that inductive spikes don't kill the driver), or a mosfet to control the charger. Adjust the put to get it to stop ate the right voltage.

What cap are you referring to?

To make a neon light that flashes when there is power put a small (like 1ufd) cap in paralel with a neon light, and hook it across the bank with a 1meg resistor. It will start to flash arround 90v, and flash faster as the voltge rises. Adjust the cap to change the brightness and the resistor to change rep rate.

good luck!
Michael Witt
Thu Mar 09 2006, 04:11AM
I'm trying to avoid mosfets, because I don't really get them. And what is hysteresis?

The cap I am referring to is the only cap in the PS schematic, it is just before the transformer (what will be used is an arc suppressor/snubber network cap from Mallory). I was just wondering if you would reccomend a capicatance and resistance.

The thing in the middle is just a transformer. The transformer would probably be just an isolation transformer, put after the rectifier.

I'm sorry the diagram is so small, I just don't know of any easy to print directly from my schematic program to an image.
Thu Mar 09 2006, 05:09AM
Hysteresis has to do with how the gate is triggered. I gate with it will only change state if the incoming voltage gets a certain voltage from the trigger point. So it a gate has 100mv of hysteresis and would normally trigger at 2.5v it would only change if the voltage dropped below 2.4v or go above 2.6v. It is is anywhere in between it just keeps it old state.

in order for a transformer to work it needs AC, in your schematic I only see it getting DC...

I don't have any suggestions on the cap.
Michael Witt
Thu Mar 09 2006, 11:58AM
Oh yeah, I forgot that I need to put the rectifier after the transformer. Thanks.

[Added:]
Anyone know about Jameco ValuePro Caps? Those caps work out to be something like $0.13 per joule, but I don't know anything about ESR/ESL on them. Anyoneone had experience? The P/N for the one I'm looking at is 203246CB on Jameco's site (jameco.com).
Effilcdar
Sun Apr 22 2007, 08:19AM
Effilcdar Registered Member #655 Joined: Wed Apr 18 2007, 10:23AM
Trust me get a variac. (variable auto transformer)and an up step transformer. That way you can fine tune your voltage going to the rectifier. Its very easy. I even managed to get it to work.
 1 2 3

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: