Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Steve Conner (46)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

"First" Coilgun

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Michael Witt
Sun Mar 05 2006, 07:16PM Print
Michael Witt Registered Member #282 Joined: Sat Mar 04 2006, 11:45PM
I am considering building a CG, but I have a few questions before I start to go build it and spend money on it. I built a small one with a disposable camera flash unit. I know, high ESR, but that wasn't the point. The point was that I could make a coil sufficient to move a nail, even if only a quarter of an inch, with no more than $6 (USD) of parts (I know it's not a CG, but I call it one anyway). I succeeded, so now I am moving up to one that will cost me some money, but I dont want to spend a lot of money then find out that I need a bigger capacitor, transformer, etc.... So I looked at oz.net Link2 , and got a few general ideas, but had a few lingering questions, ones that I didn't find answers to, so, I looked here. These are the questions I have:
  • IGBT or SCR? (The price difference doesn't matter to me)
  • Capacitors; Higher voltage, lower capacitance; or Higher capacitance, lower voltage?
  • Magnet Wire: Thick or Thin?
  • How do I calculate the number of Joules?
  • and Finally: Where do I find HV transformers (or turn relatively low voltage into higher voltage)
I have other questions, but I'll post them later, when I get to that stage in construction.
Sebastian
Sun Mar 05 2006, 07:37PM
Sebastian Registered Member #233 Joined: Wed Feb 22 2006, 09:06AM
Energy stored in a cap in Joules: 1/2 * C * V²

If you choose too thin magnet wire you will see that it gets too hot even after one shot. So you have to see what size caps you are gonna use and calculate from there.
Michael Witt
Sun Mar 05 2006, 08:28PM
Thanks, that helps with two questions.

I just found my schematic utility, and I'll post a draft of the circuit I was thinking about soon.

smile
the_anomaly
Sun Mar 05 2006, 08:55PM
the_anomaly Registered Member #19 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 03:19PM
Well I would go with the scr for this one. IGBTs' are really for performance and are usually driven with a single pulse. For the caps look for 300volts or above and a few hundred uf. Thick wire is a must to handle the high current and lower the resistance.
Michael Witt
Sun Mar 05 2006, 10:30PM
Ok, I've made a rough draft of my schematic, I know, the image quality is poor, but ym schematic prog doesn't like it when I try to print to an image.

The second attachment is a ZIP file of the image as an MDI.

Please tell me if you see any problems with this CG, I'll fix them.

Notes on the Schematic:
S1 and S2 select capacitor state; Pole 1 is default pole, and is an open circuit, used when finished charging, before discharge into coil; Pole 2 is for charging capacitor; Pole 3 is for slowly discharging capacitor, and should be used when capacitor has been charged, but will not be fired, and must be slowly discharged, CG should be stored in position 3; Position 4 is for quick discharge, in case of emergency, should not be used if possible, as it may cause damage to the capacitor.

CS1 and CS2 are for selecting which coil the charged capacitors will be discharged into, they are also how the energy is recovered, through a half wave bridge rectifier, and being charged back into capacitor.

S3 is for selecting which capacitor to monitor with the voltmeter. Set to position 3 before discharging caps. NOTE: the number of poles on the switch is one more than the number of capacitor banks used, the final pole being open, and the previous poles being conneced to one side of each of the banks.

L1-L6 are all part of a single stage, and layered on top of each other, they are not multiple stages. Yet.

1141597726 282 FT3201 Cgdraft1

Please note that I most definitely made mistakes, as I often forget polarity stuff, so feel free to correct me.
]1141597726_282_FT3201_cgdraft1.zip[/file]
Simon
Mon Mar 06 2006, 01:34AM
Simon Registered Member #32 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 08:58AM
Whoa! That's pretty complicated for a "first" single-stage cg circuit!

As to design, I'd recommend getting the capacitors, something like 300V and whatever energy rating you feel like, and then designing the rest of the cg around them.
Bjørn
Mon Mar 06 2006, 01:49AM
Bjørn Registered Member #27 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 02:20AM
Do as Simon says, simpler is better in this case. Make a simple reliable design and make an effort to measure your efficiency and try different things to improve it.

You can improve a lot on your first attempt without spending any money, a properly designed coil gun with a single photo capacitor is capable of sending a projectile accross a room at significant speed.
Michael Witt
Mon Mar 06 2006, 02:56AM
ok frown

Oh, I just remembered why I didn't like that idea angry . I dont have a switch that can handle that kind of voltage, so I have just been touching the lead of the wire to the other post of the cap, which is where I think I am loosing the energy. Is this assumption correct? Is thee a quick fix for it? I always get HUGE sparks this way.

[Edit: Fixed double post]
Mon Mar 06 2006, 04:43AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
First look arround and find a cap in the range of 300-500v at a like 1000uf. That would give you about 100j, which with a 1% efficiency (a resonable goal) give 1j out-40m/s for a 1g projectile if I did my math right.

From there, you need to calculate the size of the coil, for which I recommend barry's coil gun simulator. (use the calculator for transistor if you use a IGBT or SCR if you use a SCR) Aim for current in the 800a range.

As to the switch, I would recommend a SCR for your first coil. I could sell you SCR's that will handle 800a for $1/scr (sk065k's). If you want to put some more effort into the driver (you will need a pulse generator instead of a switch), then an IGBT will increase your efficiency a little.

I would recommend magnet wire around 20awg or so.

I wouldn't recommend using a transformer to charge it, but use either a voltage tripler/quadrupler or a boost converter. If you go the tripler/quadrupler path, please use a pair of 12v transformers back to back to limit the power and isolate teh cap bank from ground.

Good luck!
Bjørn
Mon Mar 06 2006, 01:44PM
Bjørn Registered Member #27 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 02:20AM
A simple switching method like you describe can be very lossy. It is also not very consistent and ruins much of the science in it. As described above, a SCR is cheap and very suitable for this kind of work.

Because the coil is inductive the current will not start out very high and then ramp up to maximum current. That makes it possible to use mechanical switches quite successfully at these energy levels and voltages because they can get a reasonable contact before maximum current is reached.

If you use a SCR or a mechanical switch then you must think about how long it takes to discharge your capacitor, if not you will most likely have some problems with "suckback". This happens if there is still significant current in the coil when the projectile exits. It has happened that the projectile has been ejected in the wrong direction on particularly bad designs.
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: