All today's birthdays', congrats!
Shaun (34)
Spedy (30)

Next birthdays
05/01 Shaun (34)
05/01 Spedy (30)
05/02 Adam Munich (30)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

MOT for Tesla Coil and Magnetic Shunts

Move Thread LAN_403
thedatastream
Fri Aug 31 2007, 03:33PM Print
thedatastream Registered Member #505 Joined: Sun Nov 19 2006, 06:42PM
I'm going to build a small SISG coil using a single MOT to power it (Terry's Pirahna design) and I was wondering whether or not to de-shunt my MOT.

I've looked on the web (unfortunately Pupman is blocked on the work computer) and what I can find suggests that removing these increases potential output current by removing the partial flux path formed by these bits of iron.

Anyone have any idea what sort of current / voltage output increase can be gained by de-shunting a MOT?
Is this conventional practice for MOTs used for Tesla Coils?

Thanks
James
CT2
Fri Aug 31 2007, 06:48PM
CT2 Registered Member #180 Joined: Thu Feb 16 2006, 02:12AM
I don't think you should remove the shunts. A mot will run untill it burns itself up/blows fuse. So I don't think you can squeez any more power out without killing it.
Garry Neeley
Fri Aug 31 2007, 09:36PM
Garry Neeley Registered Member #976 Joined: Thu Aug 30 2007, 05:20PM
CT2 is right. A MOT is not a current limited transformer. If you short the secondary on a MOT it will continue to draw more and more current until the breaker flips. I would suggest you leave the shunts in place as well.
sparky
Sat Sept 01 2007, 02:46AM
sparky Registered Member #530 Joined: Sat Feb 17 2007, 07:56AM
No ,Garry
MOTs are current limited by nature. I've done tests to prove that a 1000 watt MOT will draw 1700 watts when run in a short circuit operation. Remove those shunts and the transformer will burn up - and the
secondary voltage will climb radically.
So if you are wanting to run higher power you might check the local repair shop and see if you can get one of those 2500 watt - 1900V rated industral MOTs. These guys weigh in at 20 lbs and can short over 3 amps! They do run 240V....
thedatastream
Sat Sept 01 2007, 08:07AM
Now I'm at home, I've found some Pupman stuff on this subject

Link2 - OK to remove shunts so long as you ballast
Link2 - OK if ballasted
Link2 - OK if ballasted

The question is, do the 100R series resistors in the secondary of Terry's Pirahna Link2 provide enough ballasting for me to remove the shunts?

Thanks
James
Steve Conner
Sat Sept 01 2007, 09:15AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Hi guys,

I believe the shunts are there to improve the power factor and deliver a less peaky current waveform to the magnetron. When I was simulating the supply for my Tesla-2, the power factor was much better with the shunts than without. It delivered plenty of power even with the shunts: I was blowing 5 amp fuses on the 240V line when I got my bigger tank capacitors.

In newer MOTs, I doubt they are big enough to ballast the transformer into a short circuit. The cross-sectional area of them is much smaller than the cross-section of the core, so they are bound to saturate quite early on.

Older MOTs, and industrial MOTs, were built much more heavily than the ones you get at the kerbside nowadays, and may have had more generous shunting. Sparky probably tested one of these. If nobody believes me I will test some modern MOTs for you and post my own results here.

As for the 100 ohm resistors, ask Terry tongue
sparky
Sat Sept 01 2007, 05:05PM
sparky Registered Member #530 Joined: Sat Feb 17 2007, 07:56AM
If you want large easily obtained MOTs, try looking for old 1980's early 90's Kenmore, Sanyo or Amana microwaves (800-1000watt units) The MOT units that where placed in these guys weigh about 10-12 lbs and can short up to 23A with shunts! Secondary voltage tends to be 2300-2400V AC.
Terry Fritz
Sun Sept 02 2007, 04:15AM
Terry Fritz Registered Member #393 Joined: Tue Apr 18 2006, 12:30AM
Hi,

PIRANHA uses standard MOTs "as is" without modification. It is a complex voltage tripling resonant thing where the circuit "plays" with the shunt's limiting... Maybe a better circuit could be made without shunts... but for now. leave the shunt in for sure wink

The value of the resistors is indeed "100 ohms"... Lots of modeling there... Those resisters prevent shorting of the whole gap and all... I did a lot of work on that since it killed my coil at first... So until some "Einstein" comes along to knock me out... The resistors need to be 100 ohms...

Cheers,

Terry

thedatastream
Sun Sept 02 2007, 08:45AM
Thanks Terry, I'll definitely take your advice!
FWIW, my resistors are 101.1 ohms (oh no it won't work!) wink

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: