Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Vaxian (17)

Next birthdays
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
05/22 Skynet (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Computer Science
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Hardware Woes

Move Thread LAN_403
Part Scavenger
Mon Jul 02 2007, 01:12AM
Part Scavenger Registered Member #79 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 11:35AM
I starting to believe that the RAM is bad too. Every RAM check program (5+ of them) I have run has failed and has errors in the 195 to 220Mb range. I found two processor checkers and they said the MOBO was good and so was the processor.

So, may I presume that *if* the CPU was broken, I would be getting random RAM errors, and not ones with the same addresses? I'm really believin' it's the RAM now, but I don't want to tell dad the wrong thing. I tried DDR1 Memory but it doesn't fit. (the notch is in the wrong place, and yes I flipped it over).

Thanks VERY much for the help guys.
Alex
Mon Jul 02 2007, 02:29AM
Alex Geometrically Frustrated
Registered Member #6 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 04:18AM
Wow, that's a dirty CPU. I had crashing issues with my HP Pavillion desktop after it ate too much dust:
1183343395 6 FT27541 00003 Crop
thedatastream
Mon Jul 02 2007, 07:07AM
thedatastream Registered Member #505 Joined: Sun Nov 19 2006, 06:42PM
Get into the BIOS and underclock the memory by as much as possible and see if that fixes the problem. Your computer will obviously run much slower but if it is a memory timing issue rather than a quality issue this would tell you.

DDR memory costs nowt these days anyway...

EDIT: nowt = nothing (for those of you outside Yorkshire)
Part Scavenger
Mon Jul 02 2007, 04:58PM
UHHHHHHH, I think I did something really bad. **Panics***

I had already underclocked the RAM to 133Mhz and nothing was better the day before yesterday. So today I tried doing it to 100Mhz, (The CPU runs at 133Mhz, so I didn't go below this before, only @ multiples...) Not the computer won't come ON AT ALL!!!!!

What the CRAP did I do? I tried resetting the CMOS with no effect. The computer will come on, but I get no screen, CTRL + ALT + DEL doesn't work, The HDD light is full on... What the heck?

Any ideas on what to do now? My dad is coming home with a new RAM stick and he's gonna be pretty unhappy.

EDIT:> Ok, maybe I flipped out too soon. The manual said this is what happens when the RAM is not put in correctly. However, the RAM is in right, so I'm guessing the RAM just died. Sheesh.
Conundrum
Mon Jul 02 2007, 05:52PM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Seen this happen with a Dell Dimension 3000 b0xen due to a bad memory slot.

The RAM was fine, but just knocking the PC would cause a reboot or blue screen.
On restart if would do exactly what you described.

It might even be the vibration from the CD drive causing a dodgy contact to open...

If new RAM won't work (unlikely but possible) try disconnecting the power supply from the motherboard, and take out the CMOS battery. Mash the power and reset switch a few times, then leave it for half an hour.

Connect PSU back up then try booting again. 90% of the time this works on "dead" PCs.

BTW I fix these beasts for a living so I know most of the tricks :)

-A
"Bother" said Pooh, as he destroyed 5/6ths of a solar system...
Dave Marshall
Mon Jul 02 2007, 06:49PM
Dave Marshall Registered Member #16 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 02:22PM
Does the system have a mobo speaker? If so, is it beeping at you? If it isn't, do what Conundrum said, then if still nothing, try removing the ram completely and powering on. It should definitely beep at you with no ram installed at all. If it doesn't, bad things are happening.

Dave
Part Scavenger
Mon Jul 02 2007, 10:37PM
The new RAM didn't work. frown I am trying Conundrum's idea, and will try Dave's next, but it does have a speaker(that works, I tested it) that has never beeped at me. The manual doesn't mention beeping, but I'll try the boot/beep next... Thanks.

Oh, and may I mention that the computer is acting a litte different with the new RAM, the lights don't stay on as long.

Gosh I hope this works... My dad wasn't too happy when the RAM didn't do anything.

EDIT...
No Boot, no beeps. sad I tried Conundrum's idea to the letter, only I left it an hour, and then I tried Chris'. I'm not sure what to do now? Do I get a new MOBO or CPU or both? I'm guessing both, what do you guys suggest? I'll leave it without a battery overnight and see. Was there some way I could have messed up the computer by slowing the RAM down to 100Mhz when it normally runs at 266MHz? I didn't think you could, but as a rule, I don't mess with speed settings. Do you think that the CMOS is not resetting or that something major is fried?
Part Scavenger
Tue Jul 03 2007, 12:22PM
Yay!!! cheesey

Ok, maybe this is embarassing, but I'm too excited to care. It was the RAM, I got the computer running again and the new RAM tests passed with 0 errors. Then Windows installed flawlessly. The most recent problem (dead MOBO) was caused by a faulty UPS I had swapped for my power strip because someone needed my power strip yesterday. angry It just decided to fail at the exact same time I underclocked the RAM. I woke up this morning and the guts were all melted, it smelled horrible. Turns out it was causing an undervoltage to the computer, and now the computer is working better than ever!!!!

THANK YOU GUYS! You were tons of help!!!
-Part Scavenger shades
Ken M.
Thu Jul 05 2007, 03:15AM
Ken M. Registered Member #618 Joined: Sat Mar 31 2007, 04:15AM
Congrats! And your welcome, even though most of the good ideas where mentioned by the more experienced people, but I would say try finding a way to setup a POST speaker to your mobo that way you'll get beep commands when something fails, like Video, keyboard, ram, and a few others that I can't remember.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: