Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Need help troubleshooting first coilgun

Move Thread LAN_403
maruiwlt
Mon Jun 25 2007, 11:03PM Print
maruiwlt Registered Member #859 Joined: Mon Jun 25 2007, 10:23PM
Ive been buiding my first coilgun using a boost converter for a couple days now. Ive finished most of everything but im having a problem with the SCR conducting continuously after the capacitor bank has been discharged.

Schematic
Link2

I think the problem is that the capacitors keep charging to 15v through the inductor and keeping the scr open but I cant find a way to prevent it. I also dont think I connected the SCR in the best way.

Any help would be appreciated
Danielle
Tue Jun 26 2007, 12:12AM
Danielle Registered Member #632 Joined: Mon Apr 09 2007, 01:09AM
You need a relay to cut off the charging scurcute while firing and after because the SCR will not stop conduction untill there is no voltage.
maruiwlt
Tue Jun 26 2007, 12:23AM
Ah! Thanks a lot, I was thinking about just putting a switch in to do it manually, but a relay does sound kind of cooler :P
rupidust
Fri Jun 29 2007, 01:58AM
rupidust Banned
Registered Member #110 Joined: Fri Feb 10 2006, 12:23AM
I thought about not replying because Rocketry76, in a single sentence, thoroughly responded with the reason and resolution.
One of another method is to use a High-Side IGBT or Mosfet switch above L1. This is far more involved than a relay but increases the elegance, no bulk, no relay sound. The drawback is that the addition of switches in series with the L1, Q1 circuit will increase power wasted. Example, if your Q1 is consuming 10 watts from a 100 watt supply, you hand 90 possible watts to deliver to capacitors. Adding another switch will suck up another 10 watts which inturn steals from the caps with a lower 80 watts of power. This is good for small sized low power chargers installed in small areas.
TheMerovingian
Fri Jun 29 2007, 12:08PM
TheMerovingian Registered Member #14 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:04PM
If you have a high power IGBT use it dyreclty for coil switching. No sense to use a semiconductor switch on high side, this increases design complexity. You can use it on low side though. In my multistage design i used 5 floating SCR's and a single IGBT switch grounding their cathodes. The configuration is like that:

diode<-drive stage1
|
Capbank1-Scr1-----------------------IGBT (common)----GND

diode<-drive stage2
|
Capbank2-Scr2-----------------------IGBT (common)----GND

diode<-drive stage3
|
Capbank3-Scr3-----------------------IGBT (common)----GND

diode<-drive stage4
|
Capbank4-Scr4-----------------------IGBT (common)----GND

diode<-drive stage5
|
Capbank5-Scr5------------------------IGBT (common)----GND

The drive stage is connected to the sensors dyrectly (5V ttl)
White the IGBT is driven by a 24V driver controlled by the microcontroller. The drive is on while one of the sensors triggers the RB0/int interrupt pulsing the correct pulsetime.

In your case a single scr and a singe igbt is sufficient. Just make sure it is driven properly.

Also you can simply switch off the charger pulling down the switch drive with a small bjt or an mosfet or pulling up the voltage feedback if you are using a controlled (es a TL494 boost converter) SMPS

Another option use the scr V-switch using a small sensing coil , this will improve efficiency too but it must be carefully designed

SCRs are funny devices but they are hard to turn off..
maruiwlt
Sat Jun 30 2007, 11:57AM
Thanks a lot for the suggestions, but I have a couple more questions.

What exactly does it mean when you say floating scrs?... Is the driver connected to the gate of the scr whos anode is connected to the cap bank and kathode is connected to the IGBTs collector? Will the coil be after the SCR, or am i completely off?

Also, my electronic jargon isnt quite complete yet... what exactly does high-side/low-side mean?

And two more things:

I believe I understand how a V-switch works, im just wondering how exactly one calculated where to wind the secondary coil? Does it have something to do with the projectile reaching a certain point?

And I've also read about a lot of your projects and I was wondering if you knew where I could go to find out about fullbridge/halfbridge/diagonal bridge designs and operation principles, all the searches on this forum only brings up tesla coil stuff.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: