northern_lightning (41)
w1vlf (67)
louis.haeb (30)

Next birthdays
06/03 mileswaldron (59)
06/04 muze801 (33)
06/05 HVgeek (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Computer Science
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Odd networking/router problem

Move Thread LAN_403
Marko
Thu Jun 21 2007, 09:48PM Print
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Hi guys

Now for several days I'm bugged with this. My overall knowledge is poor but I'l give my best to describe the problem:

For about a year now I had this router Link2
and two computers, mine and dad's, connected to it over UTP. Win xp SP2 on both computers.
The router was a nice thing, I plugged it in and it worked. I disabled the DHCP, manually set the IP's, DNS and activated net bios over TCP/IP.

I did have some initial trouble with dad's integrated network adapter but external one fixed it.

Now, few days ago, the dad's computer's internet connection simply died out. It lost all the sharing and am unable to contact the router from it no matter wht I do.
I can ping router ant another machine from it but that's all I could do. My computer (from wich I'm writing this) works completely fine.

It looked like simple problem in beggining but proved to be all but such. I was gutted - never seen something like this.

In debugging mania I reinstalled drivers for both network adapters, installed wirelles adapter (!) wich connected sucessfuly and I pinged over it but still I couldn't acces the router software, internet or network.

I plugged the card into my computer and it worked perfectly. I brought the router in another room and connected it with assuredly working cable and it still didn't work.
Neither wirelles did. All of those connections show they are connected and I can ping over them.

So, it just couldn't be hardware failure although it looked as such.

I disabled all firewalls.

Enabled DHCP, set aoutomatic IP's, nothing. Checked various required services, all look more or less fine. I tried disabling computer browser on one of machines but it didn't do a thing. If I knew more about these things!

Now all I have left is to format dad's drive. But, such spontaneous apperance of problem like such is really bugging me. I'l gladly post pics or more info if you need it. Thanks!

Thu Jun 21 2007, 11:00PM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
I would say the most likely thing would be a virus/etc, but it could be a misconfigured part of windows (say a rogue entry in your c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file). I haven't had to deal with any of this for a few years now that we are using Fedora, but things that used to need twidling included: turning off the firewall (especially any 3rd party antivirus software -they are usually 100% pure evil), releasing/renewing the IP (run ipconfig -release and ipconfig -renew), and then clearing the caches (the easiest way to to that is to right click on the adapter and click repair). Once that fails you can try to run the wizard again, once in a blue moon that fixed it. From there you have to get down and dirty, make sure you are on the same subnet (assuming you are using a class C network that would mean all of the address start with 192.168.x.) and have the subnet mask set correctly (for class C that is 255.255.255.0). Also, make sure your computer didn't end up on the network address (the 1st address of a subnet, for a class C that is 192.168.x.0) or broadcast (192.169.x.255), and of course doesn't have the same IP as anything else on the network. If you can't even ping the router then DNS probably isn't the problem, but you can set it to 208.67.222.222 and use OpenDNS if you suspect your router/isp is causing problems.

Although, the fact that you can ping would imply we have a level 3 problem, so addressing shouldn't be the problem. If you router supports ssh/telent/etc you might try that...

If none of that works, I would say is it probably a driver problem, but you can check for hardware problems by booting a liveCD (most modern linux distros have excellent network support, at least for wired adapters) and seeing if you have connectivity then.

BTW, that link about the router doesn't work...
Marko
Sat Jun 30 2007, 04:45PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Meh, thanks anyway. I formattd the drive and now it wrks well for about a week.

Surely I wouldn't be posting here if the problem could be fixed by network repair!

Network was set exactly as what you call class C network.

Simply, amount of labor required to find the problem was incomparable by just formatting the drive; I'l never figure what happened.

The link was a pdf document, and worked fine for me...

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: