Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
06/02 GreySoul (45)
06/02 GluD (35)
06/02 northern_lightning (41)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Computer Science
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

did a number on this one

Move Thread LAN_403
KNO3
Tue May 29 2007, 05:06AM Print
KNO3 Registered Member #780 Joined: Sun May 13 2007, 02:58AM
I was installing feather linux on the labtop. I had to repartition the drive to allow the acquired space. I then sent the ISO image onto the drive and rebooted in hopes of it booting. It restarts, i see the compaq logo, then a cursor screen shows up and hangs with the black screen and all I hear is drive operation noise. I have left the labtop on for two hours, nothing. I have an external CD-ROM drive hooked up, no 3 1/2 anymore, and can't access the BIOS. any advice on how to get this thing to reboot on an terms is good.thanks
Tue May 29 2007, 02:58PM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
did you set the partition with the data as bootable? And you did you just extrace the iso to the disk, or did you put in any type of bootloader in the mbr?
Dave Marshall
Tue May 29 2007, 07:35PM
Dave Marshall Registered Member #16 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 02:22PM
Sounds like a bootloader issue. Your best bet might be to just format the hard drive on another computer.

What does it do when the hard drive is removed from the computer entirely and its booted? Do you get the "Hard Drive Error" or "OS Not Found" error messages?

As for bios, try a reset by either unplugging the computer and removing the main battery and CMOS battery (if its accessible), or using jumpers if they're available. If you can't figure out how to reset the computer, try a google search. Some laptops have weird procedures.

Dave
Alex
Tue May 29 2007, 07:43PM
Alex Geometrically Frustrated
Registered Member #6 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 04:18AM
Well, if you did in fact mean what you said - that you copied the iso right onto the disk - it's not going to do anything.
Dave Marshall
Wed May 30 2007, 11:15AM
Dave Marshall Registered Member #16 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 02:22PM
Oh, I didn't even catch that line. Yeah you can't just copy an ISO straight onto the disk. The CD isn't a ready made operating system. You still need partition information, a boot loader (different part of the disk), and the appropriate drivers for your hardware have to be installed.

Copying an image (iso) straight onto the hard drive only works if you are using an image of a hard drive from an identical computer. Programs like Norton Ghost create such images, and can clone computers with that method.

Now if this ISO is an actual image of a hard drive from this particular model of laptop, thats a bit of a different story. It should work, but you still have to use the program that made the image to apply the image to the new hard drive, as all the 'ghosting' programs I've seen use some form or another of compression.

At this point I'd suggest grabbing a LiveCD for Ubuntu and formatting the hard drive.

Dave
KNO3
Wed May 30 2007, 07:29PM
KNO3 Registered Member #780 Joined: Sun May 13 2007, 02:58AM
Thanks guys for the replies. I just got a good book on this type of linux to read up on,I also grabbed a book on ubuntu, I will surely have to remove the hard drive and take it out, format it and try to access the BIOS on the laptop. I can't access it for some reason. I've went on Compaq support to get what is required(press F10 after logo runs on screen). I will try this weekend to wipe it and install the right way.
Carbon_Rod
Fri Jun 08 2007, 07:26PM
Carbon_Rod Registered Member #65 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:43AM
if you are using Grub -- note security software like "Computrace" roasts the MBR daily...

Google dual boot configuration using XP boot loader,
(note Vista has a completely different circus of workarounds.)

Partition in XP, format additional master partitions as FAT32 swap & FAT32 linux OS, then reboot into the linux installer. Bypass partition stage, format, and install base.

Good luck,

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: