All today's birthdays', congrats!
Matthew T. (35)
Amrit Deshmukh (60)

Next birthdays
05/05 Alexandre (32)
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

DC Resonant TC

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Fessenden
Wed May 16 2007, 02:54AM Print
Fessenden Registered Member #687 Joined: Mon May 07 2007, 02:21AM
Hello, I am Ben. I have been building coils for several years. Though I would share with the group my most recent coil. It is a DC Resonant design powered by a single 1kW MOT and full wave voltage doubler. Spark gap is a asynchronous (naturally) rotary. I am most proud in that a majority of the components were salvaged from dead FM broadcast transmitter carcasses. An example of this is the large solid state rectifier tube replacements that were just begging to be used.

I intended this coil to be more of a furniture / conversation piece than anything, hence the turn-of-the-century quack medicine machine look.

1179284050 687 FT0 Dsc01173

1179284050 687 FT0 Dsc01205

1179284050 687 FT0 Dsc01214
CT2
Wed May 16 2007, 03:38AM
CT2 Registered Member #180 Joined: Thu Feb 16 2006, 02:12AM
She's beautiful... It really does look turn-of-the-century, great job!
Part Scavenger
Fri May 18 2007, 02:20AM
Part Scavenger Registered Member #79 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 11:35AM
Hey! That is really cool. Nice work.
ShawnLG
Fri May 18 2007, 04:30AM
ShawnLG Registered Member #286 Joined: Mon Mar 06 2006, 04:52AM
Nice coil! The voltage doubler looks interesting.
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Fri May 18 2007, 04:42AM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
very very nice!
Fessenden
Fri May 18 2007, 12:21PM
Here is a couple more views of the "business end" of the machine. The close up is of the "de-q-ing" diode, with 8H charging reactor in the background, and to the side the filter network I am using. The diode appears to be a tube replacement assembly that Wilkenson Electronics sold to there customers to retrofit old transmitters.

The second view is an of the entire contents of the machine. You can see my original glass plate cap (0.01uF). I have since started using 2 0.05uF Dearborn plastic caps in series giving 0.025uF. This doubled the spark output, but the caps get somewhat hot. Probably cant handle the current.

This was my first DC coil, and I still have some things to finalize in the construction. One question I have is placement of the filter network in the circuit. I have it between the power supply and the charging reactor. Is this correct, or should I place it between the "de-Q-ing" diode and the tank? Other circuits I have seen have it placed where I have it, but it seems to me that the charging reactor needs some protection from RF. Thoughts?

Second question I have is regarding the "de-Q-ing" diode assembly I am using it is a string of probably 24 1000V 1A diodes in series with small ceramic disc caps in parallel with the diodes. I understand the purpose of the caps, but these also have small neon lamps in parallel with the diode as well. What is the purpose of this, other than looking neat when the current flows?

In case anyone was wondering, I am not a woodworker, I just happened upon a cheap old tube radio cabinet that let it self well to TC construction.

1179490910 687 FT25251 Dsc01224

1179490910 687 FT25251 Dsc01215
JimG
Fri May 18 2007, 08:58PM
JimG Registered Member #52 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:22AM
Hey Ben, it's cool to see that you've posted pictures of your coil here. Are you still considering building an MMC for it?
Bert
Sun May 20 2007, 04:17AM
Bert Registered Member #118 Joined: Fri Feb 10 2006, 05:35AM
The purpose of the neon lamps (and associated series resistors) is to show, by unlit lamps, if any of the rectifiers have short circuited so that they can be quickly identified and replaced. Suppficient margin is provided by the chain so that a shorted diode or two won't overvolt and cause cascade failures of the rest of the chain.
Fessenden
Sun May 20 2007, 08:08PM
Thanks Bert, that makes sense. That would certainly help troubleshoot a failed transmitter.

Jim, I am still planning on some replacement for the capacitor, probably an MMC. I noticed recently that one of the surplus places has Maxwell 35kV 0.03uF pulse caps for a reasonable amount of money. I may have to get one of those.

sparky
Mon May 21 2007, 12:26AM
sparky Registered Member #530 Joined: Sat Feb 17 2007, 07:56AM
WOW! I love the vintage feel I get from this Tesla Coil.... lovely!! Thanks for sharing!
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: