Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Alexandre (32)

Next birthdays
05/05 Alexandre (32)
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Powering up an SGTC

Move Thread LAN_403
Shaun
Fri May 11 2007, 03:08AM Print
Shaun Registered Member #690 Joined: Tue May 08 2007, 03:47AM
So I just finished my first coil about 2 weeks ago, and I'm ecstatic that it works with 18 inch streamers from the topload.
I have not published its official stats and pics to the tesla coil list yet, but I will very soon.

Suffice to say that its powered by a 15 kV 30mA NST, with a 7.5 nF cap.
My big question is (and I'm knew at the beginning I would eventually end up here), how do I make it more POWERFUL!?
I have gathered that If I can get another NST in parallel, and double the cap value to compensate for quicker charge time, that should double my output power.

But a lot of little questions bug me, like should I try to get the same brand of NST? (Transco)
If I just add another cap in parallel to the one I have now, will it matter if they were constructed differently?
(The one I'm using is 7 parallel strings of 14 .015 uF in series, the spare is 12 .1 uF in series)
Am I missing anything important?
Sparrow338
Fri May 11 2007, 06:22AM
Sparrow338 Registered Member #661 Joined: Sat Apr 21 2007, 03:17AM
Congrats on making your first coil! I'm glad to hear it's putting out. :)
Since I don't know what your setup there arn't many things I can think of that you can do to make it more powerful. However you can increase the spark gap distance, this will allow your caps to charge to a higher voltage thus dumping more power into your primary. You can also try increasing the size of your top load. Also might want to try a bigger tank cap. At the moment this is all I can think about without having more info. As for paralleling NSTs you probably don't need to do this since the NST you have has plenty of power. Although I don't know what size coil you have so maybe you do need more power. :) If it was me I would make sure you have two exactialy the same NSTs if your gonna parallel them, same output and manufacture.
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Fri May 11 2007, 10:03PM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
Increasing your spark gap distance...umm...yea.... that's probably not a very good idea. You're going to end up going over voltage on your transformer and burning out the windings when the LC tank rings down at 2X the input voltage.

No, rather what you need to do is start reading a lot of the Tesla Coil threads and do a lot of homework.
There are a few of us who have been doing a lot of reasearch on these systems and tuning out their efficiencies. Terry Fritz, Hot Streamer, the Tesla Coil Mailing List, myself, Both Steve's, Finn Hammer, and a lot of others contribute a lot of information, and what you really ought to do is the reading.

You will find pretty fast that 18" -24" is about as big as it gets for a 30mA transformer, and if you want more output you're going to have to push more current.

My systems would push 18" from 30mA transformers, and I'm getting ~40" from 60mA transformers, so you're definately in the ballpark. After that comes tuning for efficiency which is much more difficult and requires a lot of testing and some simulation.

Matt
Fri May 11 2007, 10:24PM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
you should have no problems widening the spark gap, just makre sure that you have a safty gap somewhere that is set to fire at the NST's no load voltage (if you remove the tank circuit the safty gap should fire)
Coronafix
Fri May 11 2007, 11:47PM
Coronafix Registered Member #160 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 02:07AM
Yeh, there's no problem with opening the spark gap, as long as you've got a properly set safety gap.
When your spark gap starts firing during operation, then you know you've opened it up too much. This is of
course using a LTR cap bank, which you are.
How many primary turns have you got and where is it tapped at?
If tapped at the end you could add more turns and a bigger top load.
Bigger top load definitely increases streamer length but you need enough primary
to bring it back in tune.
Shaun
Mon May 14 2007, 08:05PM
Shaun Registered Member #690 Joined: Tue May 08 2007, 03:47AM
Okay, first of all, my primary is 13 turns total (30 deg inverse conical) tuned at around turn 11. The toroid is 4 in dia tube by 16 in wide. Sec is 20" winding of 24 ga wire on 4" thin-wall PVC. I have tried widening the primary gap, however past a certain point my safety gap begins firing AS MY MAIN GAP. This scared this living sh*t out of me when it happened cause my safety gap is mounted on the control board, about 8 inches from my hand on the variac wheel. It also worries me because it means I have an untold number of amps flowing through my filter inductor and other such things with much thinner wire (24 ga in filter inductors compared to 6 ga in capacitive discharge circuit).

I have done the reading, and instead of blowing the extra money on a second NST and another cap, I think I might try an equivalent sized DRSSTC. From what I've learned so far, these are capable of FAR greater arc length per watt, are much more controllable, quieter, and the parts under high stress (that break a lot) are less expensive to replace. Before I got Tesla Fever, I always used to have thoselow voltage electronics kits (with the breadboard and such), so I know my way around mildly complicated solid state circuits. It'll be a BIG challenge, I know. But as with all challenges, the harder you work the bigger the reward. :)

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: