Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

A VanDeGraaff problem

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
thedatastream
Sun Apr 29 2007, 09:54AM
thedatastream Registered Member #505 Joined: Sun Nov 19 2006, 06:42PM
A drinks can works fine as a topload

Link2
DrZoidberg
Sun Apr 29 2007, 10:28AM
DrZoidberg Registered Member #350 Joined: Mon Mar 27 2006, 05:14PM
Not sparks? Then what is it?
Replacing the pipe might help. But aren't toilet paper pipes made from cardboard? That won't work.
Do you have a multimeter? With that you can measure if your VDG produces any current at all.
A simple multimeter set to the 20V range should display something when connected to your machine. But you should connect it to the vdg before switching it on. And use a cheap one in case it breaks.
VDG
Sun Apr 29 2007, 09:01PM
VDG Registered Member #668 Joined: Fri Apr 27 2007, 10:33PM
I'm not sure what are they, but I belive them to be some kind of St. Elmo's fire, or simply ionized air. I will try to replace the pipe I have with a plastic glass, like the one in the thread you have provided. And, by the way, Big thanks for all your help. One last question: must there be a ground connection for the lower comb?
DrZoidberg
Mon Apr 30 2007, 03:28PM
Whatever it is, electricity is flowing from the belt to the brush. That's good. It means your belt, rollers and brushes are fine.
That just leaves the pipe and the can. A can should work for collecting the charge. Does the upper brush have contact with the can?
The lower comb doesn't necessarily need to be connected to ground but it mustn't be insulated. The charge on that comb needs to be able to go somewhere. Many VDG's have the lower roller, brush and motor in a metal casing. In that case the brush is connected to that. That's usually sufficient. the charge then finds a way to escape e.g. through the table the VDG is sitting on or simply through the air. But connecting the brush to ground is the best solution. Just remember that touching a grounded conductor always increases the risk of accidentially electrocuting yourself e.g. if though a faulty wire some appliance in your home gets electrified and you touch that at the same time you touch a grounded object you have a problem. Also grounding it makes the VDG less portable.
You can use yourself as ground. Touch the lower brush/metal casing with one hand and with the other you draw sparks from the can.
HV Enthusiast
Mon Apr 30 2007, 05:12PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
If you are looking for a nice sphere, Science First of NY has spheres up to 14" in diameter which are quite inexpensive.
VDG
Wed May 02 2007, 07:02PM
Ok, two last questions: First, What size, approximity, the arc should be for a soft drink can? I can only seem to get 1cm at most, wich less then what I expected, and secondly, do the rollers and belt meterials have any effect on how far the VDG can charge?
GreySoul
Wed May 02 2007, 11:43PM
GreySoul Registered Member #546 Joined: Fri Feb 23 2007, 11:43PM
Hard to get an exact number for arc length given just the size of the can, without knowing how much power is getting built up in it... still, I'd probably be happy with 8-10cm arcs, 1cm is certainly not peak performance.

And the belt and roller composition are absolutely important, I'd say the most important aspects of a VDG. Without them the machine wouldn't do anything.

There are some good lists floating around that list the properties of different belt and roller materials. The rollers and the belt need to be as far apart on that scale as possible to peak performance.

-Doug
DrZoidberg
Thu May 03 2007, 02:31AM
The maximum spark length for a VDG is approximately equal to the diameter of the sphere. But you don't have a perfectly shaped sphere here. A can has a rim which is bad. So I guess the maximum spark length is maybe 3cm. Using different materials for the belt and rollers might increase performance. Also the speed of the belt and it's width is important too. It doesn't really make a difference if you increase the charging current by using a better belt material or if you do it by using a wider belt or a higher speed. But the last 2 things are often easier to do.
Dr. Shark
Thu May 03 2007, 08:41AM
Dr. Shark Registered Member #75 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 09:30AM
Not quite true. Just like the support structure the belt must be absolutely non-conductive, otherwise the generator shorts itself out. I think Firkragg experimented with different compositions of rubber and found them all slightly conductive. Therefore you should pay a lot of attention to the belt material.

Would it be possible for you to post a picture of your VDG? That would make it a lot easier to spot what may be wrong with it.
VDG
Thu May 03 2007, 11:32AM
Well, I don't have a camera that can transfer pictures, but I might loan one soon.
 1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: