Zajcek (37)
ElectroDog (33)
sportcoupe (56)

Next birthdays
04/30 BlakFyre (36)
04/30 SENTRY (31)
05/01 Shaun (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Energy loss within the secondary.

Move Thread LAN_403
Ken M.
Wed Apr 25 2007, 11:24PM Print
Ken M. Registered Member #618 Joined: Sat Mar 31 2007, 04:15AM
To start off like most of the coilers here and anywhere else, I'm trying to get the longest arcs I can with what I have. I thought messing around with the top load would make some difference and it does, with top load I get 1\2" arc to air from a 6" breakout point, without a top load I am getting 1\4" to air. While testing the coil with the top load off I noticed the spot where the tip of the secondaries winding goes into the form and then goes up to connect to the cap. Freaaking out think my coil is arcing over on the inside, I removed the cap and my relief there was no arcing goin on, however the 2-4" of wire that was on the inside is discharging and producing ozone and corona on the inside of the secondary form. Now could this be robbing me of energy that could potentially be increasing my spark length?

Heres a pic that I photo shopped to outline some stuff.

Topofsecondary
Tom540
Wed Apr 25 2007, 11:59PM
Tom540 Banned on 3/17/2009.
Registered Member #487 Joined: Sun Jul 09 2006, 01:22AM
Hmm .I think you should have maybe wound all the way to the top leaving about a half inch left or just cut the tube about a half inche above the last turn. It seems like the closer your topload is to the secondary the lower the frequency will be, by a small amount. You could try just moving the wire to the outside instead of going through a hole. Any sharp turns in that wire are gonna make it easy for corona to break out.
CT2
Thu Apr 26 2007, 12:01AM
CT2 Registered Member #180 Joined: Thu Feb 16 2006, 02:12AM
I think that corona anywhere is power lost that could potentionaly go to increasing spark length, so I would say that yes you are loosing power, how much though I'm not sure. Is there any reason that your topload is 7" away from the top turn of the secondary? I can't see how that would be of any benefit; all the coils I have built have the top turn as close to the topload as possible.
Ken M.
Thu Apr 26 2007, 12:09AM
The toploads 7" away because I knew the general guild line for a secondary is a ratio of 1:4 D\H and my Pipe was 13" long and since I knew the caps (Pvc covers) were 1" a peice so that would mean I would need a total length of 10"1" at top and bottom to prevent internal arcing and so that way i wasn't crushing the wire, the extra 3" is because I wasn't able to cut the pipe at the time.
HV Enthusiast
Thu Apr 26 2007, 12:26AM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
Compared to the entire system, secondary loss is practically negligible to what is loss on the primary side (i.e. spark gap, etc...)
CT2
Thu Apr 26 2007, 12:32AM
CT2 Registered Member #180 Joined: Thu Feb 16 2006, 02:12AM
Well considering your only getting 1/2" streamers I don't think you need to worry about it arcing from the top to bottom, I agree with Tom540 that you should have wound it all the way to the top. Also with regards to what EVR said is very true, if your only gettign 1/2" streamers than I would worry about enhancing other parts of the coil, the secondary loss wouldnt be your problem (at the moment).
Ken M.
Thu Apr 26 2007, 01:02AM
Well I went ahead and cut some of the excess pvc off, so now I only have about 2-3" of empty PVC...Only because I couldn't get much closer without damaging the upper windings on the secondary, Now before I fidget wit hthe rest of the primary stuff, I decided to see if my coil got warm, since previously I had wanted to see how long the system would run and so I turned it on last week and left for about 2 1\2 hours and the secondary just got noticably warm to the touch I'd say a few degrees warmer then room temp, but now the secondary got pretty warm after about 1hour of on off running with the moddified secondary. On ward to primary tuning...ALthough I'm not sure what to adjust 1st excluding input power and voltage. =S

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: