Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

high frequency voltage dividers and measurement

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
ragnar
Fri Apr 13 2007, 01:43PM Print
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
Hi all,
in designing an off-line class-E coil using 1500V MOSFETs... I find myself suddenly confronted with the issue of measuring the drain-source voltage with my oscilloscope.

My scope may be rated to 400V peak at DC... but the input voltage is derated with frequency. At 10MHz, it should really only be see 10V on the input.

The only high frequency high voltage I'll be measuring is the MOSFET drain-source voltage. My best idea is to permanantly install a 10:1 divider across the drain and source, which can be used as a test point at any time, and since I have a nice 10:1 oscilloscope probe already, the ratio is now 100:1
(About right for 1500V divided down to 15V, with a 10V recommended max input on the oscilloscope at that frequency)

Would some experts here kindly offer advice on the type of divider I should use (I suspect capacitive?)
I don't care about measuring DC, but I'd like to be able to see the harmonics on the DS waveform up to, say, 50MHz.

Considering the value of the shunt capacitor that will be on DS anyway, I'm thinking any capacitive divider should load < 10pF on the circuit.

Any recommendations, especially on capacitor types?

Thanks,
Matt
Sulaiman
Fri Apr 13 2007, 03:06PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
The 'best' would be a vacuum capacitor something like this ebay item 290101674138
with a LARGE division ratio (e.g. 1000:1)
this would allow low-loss such as NP0 to N750 ceramic or polypropylene at the 'bottom' which will swamp any 'scope/lead capacitance.

Or an NP0 ceramic could be used as the high voltage element, eg NP0 to N750 transmitter-type ceramic.
or a string of cheaper polypropylene capacitors, but beware of low allowable rms voltages at hf.

P.S. I thought the choices available on eBay here in UK were poor (compared to USA for example),
but I just tried to find suitable capacitors using ebay .au - wow - what poor choices you guys have ;)
Marko
Fri Apr 13 2007, 04:24PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Hi matt

I don't get it, why capacitive divider?

I would just mount a simple 1:10 resistive divider on board.
720k+80k or etc.

Note that if resistors are too large, your reading will be scrambled because of capacitance of probe cable. (I think.) So it's better to use some fatter resistors and let them dissipate a watt or so.

Aand.. only 10V at 10Mhz??? I never tought that deratings should be that gross. Is that your new scope?

I pumped my labtech with even up to 50V+ at 2Mhz and it was happy. Inputs just say 600V max... Scope is ancient so I don't know much more about it!

Sulaiman
Fri Apr 13 2007, 04:58PM
Because 10pF @ 10 MHz is <1.6 kOhms

10 pF is good for 'scope/lead capacitance, probably worse
Marko
Fri Apr 13 2007, 05:31PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
I tought resistive divider would be way more precise..

Most commercial probe dividers are resistive, AFAIK?

Capacitive divider would have to be of a large value compared to probe capacitance to be accurate, and with class E, I fear it might interfere too much with shunt capacitance for high frequencies he is aiming.

If there isn't some other reason.. in that case you help me cheesey
Sulaiman
Fri Apr 13 2007, 07:43PM
Yes, a normal 'scope probe will have a resistive divider to enable d.c. display,
the divider/probe that I described will only show the ac component of the signal
the 0 volt axis will now be the AVERAGE of the input,
so for example a flyback output would have the wave-shape that you'd expect
but with the trace both above and below the 0volt position
the areas above and below the 0volt axis will be equal.

To save confusion you could have a resistive divider to keep the 0volt axis where you'd expect it
and a capacitive divider for high-frequency waveform accuracy.

Have a look at this thread for more info. Link2
ragnar
Sat Apr 14 2007, 04:41AM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
Hi Firkragg,
I got the general impression that resistive dividers were a big no-no at high frequencies from the stray capacitance figures given here:
http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_hvprobe.html
Read sections #8 and #9
(Otherwise I'd just make a divider with a handful of resistors -- and then stray inductance becomes a problem, too)

The probe/divider won't be "interfering" with the shunt capacitor as such, since it's going to be permanantly mounted on the board between drain/source, allowing me to just read a tap or test point.

I already have some 10kV 250pF ceramic caps, and I'm thinking about how one could be used. (In series with a 50V NP0? hmm)
WaveRider
Sat Apr 14 2007, 08:19AM
WaveRider Registered Member #29 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 09:00AM
You can buy scope probes good to about 250MHz relatively reasonably (about EUR 50 ea.). Barring that, here's my rough wide-band RF measuring setup:

• 1. high value resistor (4.7 k or so is about the limit at 50 MHz, sized depending on voltage to be measured.. a capacitor can also be used, but you will need to calibrate wrt frequency...best if you have a digital scope)
    2. length of 50 ohm coax with BNC connector on one end
    3. Suitable BNC T
    4. 2W BNC 50 ohm load

Here is a rough drawing of the setup for use with scopes with high impedance inputs.

1176538281 29 FT1630 Rfscopemeas

Of course, its even better if your scope has a proper 50 ohm input setting (as many scopes made for RF work do) in addition to its standard 1 Mohm/10pF input...

Of course, the performance of this setup degrades as the frequency rises such that the parallel input capacitance loads the termination significantly and produces significant reflection. Up to 50 MHz, it should be good, tho... Test it using a signal generator first to calibrate... Of course, make sure that the specs of your scope, the 50 ohm termination are not exceeded. Also, use low-inductance resistor with suitable power rating...keep all leads as short as practically possible.

The highest voltage that I have measured with this is about 300V. Measuring high RF voltages is always a challenge. If waveforms are what you are after and not accurate voltage measurements, try replacing the resistor probe with a two-loop 'tickler' coil and bring it near the RF lead you want to measure (you will see the current waveform this way).

For the best measurements, you will need to incorporate test circuits on your board (directional couplers, possibly). Hope this helps

Cheers,
Bill
Steve Conner
Sun Apr 15 2007, 09:44AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
I have used WaveRider's method on high-speed ECL logic with some success. I used a 1k resistor at the probe end, to get a 21:1 probe, and a 400MHz Philips scope with a built-in 50 ohm termination.

The main drawback, as I see it, is the stray circuit constants associated with the resistor as you make it bigger (electrically and physically) to increase the division ratio and deal with higher voltages.
WaveRider
Sun Apr 15 2007, 11:12AM
WaveRider Registered Member #29 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 09:00AM
As Steve says, there are limitations with this method. As the value of your resistor increases, parasitic capacitance can spoil your measurement. This is why "high voltage" measurements are difficult using this technique. At this point, you need to design clever compensation networks along the lines of what has has been described (IIRC) by EasternVoltResearch and possibly others.

Also, if you are using a digital sampling scope, you can "compensate" in software (within limits) using calibration results from a sig gen with known frequency and output level.

However, by the time you've done all this, you could have gone down to your local electronic equipment retailer and bought a properly compensated 100:1 probe.... wink

Let us know how it goes!!!
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: