Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Little Marx gen

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
vasil
Sat Mar 24 2007, 11:34AM Print
vasil Registered Member #229 Joined: Tue Feb 21 2006, 07:33PM
Had 8 doorknobs from TVs and some spare time. Enough to set a little marx and enjoy a bit of sparks.

http://www.geocities.com/romtcb/marxgen.html

vasil
Dr. Shark
Wed Mar 28 2007, 05:31PM
Dr. Shark Registered Member #75 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 09:30AM
nice setup, but I can almost smell the corona that you get from all those exposed sharp edged smile Did you only run it at 10kV so far or did you try pushing it to the limit of the 30kV caps?
vasil
Wed Mar 28 2007, 08:50PM
I didnt push it yet at the maximum voltage (short resistors and some breakdown along them). I am waiting some new longer res. Yes, there are sharp edges, i can insulate them with plasticine. I have to tinker a bit. smile
What would be the maximum spark for this setup? 20 cm sparks? I think it is the safer level.
vasil
Fri Apr 13 2007, 01:22PM
My longer resistors didnt come yet, but I gave it a new push with some sligthly longer 9M1 resistors, covering the sharp edges and with higher input (still 60% of maximum, more voltage = breakdown along resistors). 13-14 cm sparks, pics on the page.

pic

movie
vasil
Mon Apr 16 2007, 09:34AM
If I would use inductors instead resistors, how much inductance would be necessary per stage (minimum) to be in the ballpark? The coils can be air cored? I remember Steve Ward demonstrated such a setup at the thon. Some tips please?
Steve Ward
Mon Apr 16 2007, 09:14PM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
Inductors:

the inductors used on our marx generator were actually small ignition coils (well, not quite, they were really "magnetos") without a primary winding, and with the iron cores pressed out. They measured 4 HENRIES on my LCR meter, and only a few K ohms (assuming my meter worked properly with the high inductance). The higher inductance forms a lower oscillatory frequency for the output discharge, which allows for more jitter in the system before performance degrades significantly.

I later attemped to replace these magneto coils with my own home wound inductors. With a 2.5" PVC pipe and about 4" of 36awg winding, i did get some results (only a 3 stage marx was built). But, the output was not as long as when using the magneto coils, or resistors. So the inductance wasnt enough with this set up, so i decided it just would not be worth the effort to wind my own inductors in this manner. Perhaps adding a ferrite core (encapsulated in epoxy for insulation) to the inductors would help by increasing the inductance by a few times over, but the amount of ferrite needed would get to be more expensive than the price of the magneto coils, so once again i dumped the idea.
Dr. Drone
Mon Apr 16 2007, 09:34PM
Dr. Drone Registered Member #290 Joined: Mon Mar 06 2006, 08:24PM
shades
teravolt
Tue Apr 17 2007, 03:28AM
teravolt Registered Member #195 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 08:27PM
I used two 2 watt 750k resistors I found them on ebay. This is one of two units that eventuly will put out about 1.5MV when added to gether. My picture is a video capture, can any body tell me what they do to catch a digital picture of the spark
Steve Ward
Tue Apr 17 2007, 03:36AM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
My picture is a video capture, can any body tell me what they do to catch a digital picture of the spark

Since my marx fired with a relatively consistent period, i was able to capture pics using my camera with a 1 second exposure time, though even still it was "hit and miss".
Dr. Drone
Tue Apr 17 2007, 04:37AM
Dr. Drone Registered Member #290 Joined: Mon Mar 06 2006, 08:24PM
shades
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: