Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Steve Conner (46)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Chemistry
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Hydrogen Production for running gas engines

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
Vaxian
Wed Apr 11 2007, 11:03AM Print
Vaxian Registered Member #635 Joined: Tue Apr 10 2007, 01:56AM
I have been gearing up for another go at an electrolosys.

The problem I had before is the electrodes made a muck of corrosion after a short period. I have found a way around this by using Stainless electrodes.

Also the reaction is very slow.

I understand that adding Potassium Hydroxide to the water will speed up the reaction. The problem is where do you get Potash? And how much do you add?

Any experienced persons willing to throw me some tips would be appreciated.

Also tried the Lye /Aluminum reaction with limited results.
Chris
Wed Apr 11 2007, 01:24PM
Chris Registered Member #8 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 04:34AM
Electrolysis is a very inefficient and slow means of generating hydrogen, but really any known means of hydrogen production are. How big of an engine is this? Remember that 1hp = 746W, so with piston engines being on the order of 20% efficient and electrolysis itself being inefficient you need upwards of half a megawatt of electricity to keep up with a car engine of appreciable power. You can figure the electrolysis/run time ratio is then very low with only 10kW or whatever you have available. Hydrogen is the least compact of all proposed fuels to store as well; you won't be able to run an engine for very long even off a high pressure cylinder or liquid hydrogen dewar. The best means of storage are metal hydrides, especially sodium or lithium borohydride.

The problem I had before is the electrodes made a muck of corrosion after a short period. I have found a way around this by using Stainless electrodes.

Use graphite electrodes for a variety of electrolytes (I have found sulfuric acid errodes them though).

I understand that adding Potassium Hydroxide to the water will speed up the reaction. The problem is where do you get Potash?
Potassium hydroxide is not potash. Potash is potassium carbonate and/or chloride. You can buy sodium or potassium hydroxide or make them with an amalgam cell or membrane cell. Just add enough until you get the desired current.

In any case for serious hydrogen production (though still puny compared to possible demand) you probably need to use steam cracking of natural gas.
Vaxian
Wed Apr 11 2007, 02:37PM
This is a horizontal shaft 5 HP briggs & stratton. I have run it on a variety of fuels. Natural Gas, Propane, Hydrogen

You have struck upon the dilemna of why Hydrogen isn't fueling more cars.
The American Hydrogen Society in Pheonix has a car and a truck.
Vancouver, BC and Chicago had 2 busses each which ran on hydrogen fuel cells, not sure if they are still in service.

You can buy kits to convert a car, the problem still remains.
The only viable method seems to be solar Hydrogen but still SLOW.

Thanks
uzzors2k
Wed Apr 11 2007, 03:10PM
uzzors2k Registered Member #95 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:57PM
Solar powered hydrogen electrolysis would take years to fill a tank with current technology. Sodium/potassium hydroxide is found in common lye and drain cleaner, just look for it on the label. (NaOH or KOH) Unlike salt, NaOH will be recreated when split. Na + H2O = NaOH + H, meaning you can fill it once with NaOH and then just keep adding water. (Theoretically) Run your cell at lower voltages, but at high currents. To achieve this use a good amount of electrolyte to allow for the current flow, and place the cells close to each other. Given the right conditions and enough power electrolysis doesn't need to be slow.

hydropowercar.com

H2gensidepic
Pete
Wed Apr 11 2007, 04:48PM
Pete Registered Member #106 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 09:39PM
If you have a bit of funds, as in around 20 to 30 dollars, I may suggest Muriatic acid and Zinc flashing.

Muriatic acid is a low grade hydrochloric acid that you can buy by the gallon from a few hardware stores around town. Now it's been a while since I've bought any, around 8 years, so maybe there might be problems today.

When you drop the zinc flashing, and I mean not much, into the muriatic acid it will react fast. I can fill a 3 foot party balloon on about 20 to 30 seconds. The problem is that you do get water vapor and that water vapor carries a small amount of acid with it. So please be careful.

But so far this has been my most favorite and memorable method for getting loads of hydrogen gas.

Pete
Conundrum
Wed Apr 11 2007, 06:33PM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Also, potassium chlorise is 33% or so of Losalt (tm) so this should help.

-A
Eric
Wed Apr 11 2007, 06:59PM
Eric Registered Member #69 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 07:42AM
I have found that aluminum foil and drain cleaner (lye) works great/fast although once the reaction gets going it runs very hot and some steam is generated. If you can get the zinc, Pete's idea is good. IIRC 2 gallons is only $4.70 at Home Depot here in so cal. It's a bit contaminated but gets the job done at ~29% concentration. Whatever method you use it would be best to dry it before use.
stop4stuff
Wed Apr 11 2007, 09:33PM
stop4stuff Registered Member #64 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:25AM
Go careful if you try the alu/lye route things can get damn hot... & if you do, be sure to capture the electrons given off (alu air cell)

From what i found out in the past, 316 stainless is the stuff to go for if you're using sodium hydroxide (lye or caustic soda)

Something that may be of interest re electrolysers Link2
Vaxian
Wed Apr 11 2007, 10:45PM
Thanks for all the tips.

I have done the Lye / Aluminum reaction before. Filled a couple balloons, kids had fun, big kids had fun blowing them up - BOOM!

I figure a large pressure cooker would make a great vessel but 99% of them are Aluminum!!! Have been looking for a large Stainless Pr. cooker for a long time.
Chris
Thu Apr 12 2007, 12:06AM
Chris Registered Member #8 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 04:34AM
If you have a bit of funds, as in around 20 to 30 dollars, I may suggest Muriatic acid and Zinc flashing.

That, or any other metal/acid or metal/base production is tens to hundreds of times more expensive than electrolysis of water, which is several times again more expensive than steam reforming, if you use store-bought ingredients. If you're making your own chemicals from salt or something just for that, it would just be way more complicated with more losses and more time. In short, chemicals like HCl or NaOH, as well as zinc or aluminum, are far too valuable to be used for the mundane role of hydrogen production. Since recycling those reagents will involve difficult fused salt electrolysis (to regenerate the reactive metals) and either hydrogen itself (for direct HCl production in an HCl furnace, again relatively difficult) or membrane cell electrolysis with fractional crystallization (for NaOH), clearly it is only practical to just use a simple aqueous electrolysis to make the hydrogen in the first place.

As another possibility for the ambitious, I suspect if you used the core from a catalytic converter (the ceramic honeycomb stuff with platinum in it) at around 850C, and fed with steam from a high pressure boiler (150psi, not very hard at all to achieve), someone with fairly basic tools could perform steam reforming of natural gas for hydrogen. A similar reaction could be carried out with air such as from an ordinary compressor under the same conditions, but with a lower hydrogen to CO production ratio.

The byproduct gases carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide must be removed of course. It might be possible to use a thin sheet of somewhat permeable material as a membrane to separate the hydrogen, then simply burn the carbon monoxide as it comes out yielding only relatively inert CO2. A hydrogenation reaction yielding either methanol or acetic acid with excess H2 could also be used as a means to eliminate carbon monoxide, and if you wanted to be inkeeping with the idea of hydrogen as a clean fuel with no greenhouse emissions this would probably be the only reasonable method.
1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: