Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Steve Conner (46)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Chemistry
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

NI3 - taboo? Discuss?

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
GreySoul
Sun Feb 25 2007, 02:39AM Print
GreySoul Registered Member #546 Joined: Fri Feb 23 2007, 11:43PM
Since I'm new here and didnt see it listed elsewhere, I have to ask if discussions of NI3 are acceptable here? It seems like a pretty harmless prank compound when made in very small batches...but what do I know? (well... I'm still alive... but I digress)

If so, has anyone made it, any tips? saftey suggestions not listed on the plethora of sites dealing with how to make the stuff? Looking for first hand experiance, not "I had a friend who made it..." like most sites offer.

I ask because i just got my hands on some iodine crystals, and besides a really nice purple pigment I want to make, I will have plenty left over for mischief :)

-Doug

(if this is off limits just delete the whole thread for me if you can, thanks)
ConKbot of Doom
Sun Feb 25 2007, 02:52AM
ConKbot of Doom Registered Member #509 Joined: Sat Feb 10 2007, 07:02AM
If you must, definitely stick to small batches, I.E. 1g or less. And the Iodine gas mdae by the decomposition may stain the surface the NI3 is on.
AndrewM
Sun Feb 25 2007, 03:28AM
AndrewM Registered Member #49 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:05AM
I tried it once, but it didn't work.

I recrystalized I2 from tincture, and tried to use household ammonia (low conc.), but after a good soak and dry it was hardly explosive... in fact, it seemed just like regular I2.
Sulaiman
Sun Feb 25 2007, 03:45AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
In my youth NI3 was one of my favourites.

BEWARE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whilst moist NI3 is quite stable - when dry it's INCREDIBLY UNSTABLE.
(your breath, a landing housefly etc. will cause detonation)

NI3 is EXTREMELY powerful, much much more than gunpowder, magnesium/permanganate etc.)

Two cautionary tales;

The largest ammount I ever made was about 10 grammes
I left it in a pile (heaped-teaspoon quantity) on a house brick in the garage to dry
with a big DANGER - DO NOT TOUCH sign.
My father said he couldn't resist and got a very long screwdriver (about 18") to 'poke' it
His ears were ringing for hours and the end of the screwdriver bent up!

My friend/accomplice made a batch and before it completely dried
he flicked little bits out of his bedroom window to hear/watch it explode below.
Whilst 'playing' the NI3 kept on drying until .....BANG in his face.
Luckily like me he wore spectacles so his eyes were protected from the (small) blast
but the rest of his face was Iodine red/brown for many days cheesey
Talk about red-faced - he didn't come to school for a week!

I had lots of fun with NI3,
I ABSOLUTELY agree that 1g is a sensible batch quantity.
Sun Feb 25 2007, 05:29AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
for refrence Link2 Link2

Just don't blow yourself up tongue
ragnar
Sun Feb 25 2007, 05:51AM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
Ya, the stains are impossible to remove -- worse than trying to get ferric chloride residues or chain grease off your hands -- it's there for good! wink
GreySoul
Sun Feb 25 2007, 05:51AM
Sounds good to me. I'm not planning to go over 1g of wet compound, considerably less when dry. But that's something I have a question about. I've been told that the wet compund is stable by most sources yet others caution that the wet compound can still detonate, anyone care to shed more detailed light on that?

Also, I have heard sodium thisulfate will remove the stains, and I have plenty of that in my photo chemicals. Any truth to it?

Thanks

-Doug

I've been watching too much Brainiac

EDIT: mmmm archives. Thanks '...' guy :)
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Sun Feb 25 2007, 08:46AM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
Are you kidding?! The stains are not Permanant! Iodine is probably the easiest stain I have to remove. Just use an excess of Ammonia and it will decolorize the stain. Its the same as decolorized Iodine.
GreySoul
Tue Feb 27 2007, 02:20AM
ok, take one: failure

I used approx 2oz of commercial strength Parssons brand lemon scented ammonia liquid (I have no idea what concentration it is, but it smells much stronger than grocery store brands) and approx 1/2 gram of 99.8% I2 crystals. I let them sit in a small dish, with periodic aggitation for about 4 hours.

The resulting crystals were pitch black, as opposed to the kinda silver gray blue color of the original I2 crystals. When settled and dried on a filter paper the paper turned the purple / brown color that iodine normally gives, and the resulting crystals haven't sublimed away yet. The crystals are bone dry (30+ minutes in the desert) and they seem to be totally stable, nonreactive... I've thumped the pile with the back of a spoon and nothing happend.

So any thoughts on where I went wrong? My first thought is impurities in the ammonia, but I'm open to correction :)

If I need better ammonia I'll just make a condensor tomarrow (I'm a glassblower, btw) and buy some dry ice....I have acetone. Hassle....

unless someone here can suggest a typical any-town local source for unadulterated ammonia solution. I tried home depot, local grocery stores, and a nursery/garden supply..the later could only order me ammonia and said I'd need a license (really? In America? A license to buy non-anhydrous, water based solution of ammonia? I thought you needed the anyhydrous stuff to make meth? *sigh*)

the local chemical suplier (albuchem) seems to have shut down recently... daggumit

edit:

random thought....NH3 boils at like -33c, assuming the water, soaps and surficants will remain somewhat more stable at room temp, would putting the I2 crystals in one dish, and the ammonia water (NH4+ and OH-) in another dish, and sealing them both in a tupperware container work?... would the NH3 escape as a gas, and react with the I2 to form NI3 and some hydrogen gas? the obvious problem I see is that a dry environment would result.... could I wet the I2 with methanol or something first?

Sorry if these seem like inane questions...my knowledge of chemistry is somewhere between a good highschool level and college level, but it's been a while since i've put it to use. I've read all the NI3 stuff in the archives and can't troubleshoot this myself (maybe I could, but considering what I am dealing with....)

Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Tue Feb 27 2007, 02:40AM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
Whats wrong is you're using too much Ammonia and doing it much too long.

Put your crystals on a filter paper, wet them with Ammonina, then fold the filter paper. When the paper is dry and crisp, be careful how you tap it.

Matt
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: