Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

ZVS Qs

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
Myke
Mon Feb 26 2007, 02:41AM
Myke Registered Member #540 Joined: Mon Feb 19 2007, 07:49PM
If I were to use PVC to wind my secondary should I use white PVC because I hear gray and balck PVC have carbon in it?
Here are the vidios of the flyback driver. I'm assuming that the arcs in the second vid are getting shorter because it is near the end of its life.

Link2

Link2
uzzors2k
Mon Feb 26 2007, 04:20PM
uzzors2k Registered Member #95 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:57PM
White PVC would be best, because of the lack of carbon as you say. Steve Ward has some stuff about making your own flybacks. Link2 A little OT, but make sure you see his HV pendulum. Link2 Shortning of the arcs could be due to mosfet heating, increasing their resistance.
Tonic
Tue Feb 27 2007, 02:52PM
Tonic Registered Member #528 Joined: Fri Feb 16 2007, 10:32PM
What wire's thickness for secondary wiring would you recommend? I would like this wire to hold a lot of current, let's say, 50mA to 100mA.
Ambar
Mon Mar 19 2007, 09:16PM
Ambar Registered Member #549 Joined: Sun Feb 25 2007, 02:49AM
I can change the diode of 400V+ of zvs driver, for the diode 1n4148?
Dr. Dark Current
Mon Mar 19 2007, 09:27PM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
Tonic wrote ...

What wire's thickness for secondary wiring would you recommend? I would like this wire to hold a lot of current, let's say, 50mA to 100mA.
it does not have to be very thick, I had one flyback that made very powerful arcs and didn't get hot, and it used hair-thin wire for its secondary.
I have used cca. 0.2mm wire for my flybacks with no problem.
Marko
Mon Mar 19 2007, 09:39PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Hi

I had an idea of winding homemade transformers using PVC wire from a while ago, but just wasn't about building a proper form. I would definitely go and wind it 'stacked' style ala solid state MOT's rather than layering like flybacks. I believe it would be a very robust solution for a homemade transformer, it would probebly fail only if seriously overheated or maybe from excessive corona (wich shouldn't be too much of a problem if enough clearance is left between forms and not too much wire is put into each form).

I also feel wire would be better 'heatsinked' if wound that way and not potted.

Pick the wire with thickest insulation you have and make a nice former with proper insulation from core, maybe on a lathe of a single block of plastic.
Myke
Tue Mar 20 2007, 03:15AM
Myke Registered Member #540 Joined: Mon Feb 19 2007, 07:49PM
Or just go with the PVC if some people don't have a lathe? neutral jmartis said that the wire dosn't have to bo too thick and I think it doesn't have to be ethier. I doubt anyone has gone above a couple of amps HV out on a flyback and the single turn voltage shouldn't be that great.
cjk2
Tue Mar 20 2007, 04:31AM
cjk2 Registered Member #51 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:17AM
I made a seconday a while back using a piece of 3/4" black pvc as a former. I used packing tape as an insulator between layers, and I did something like 7 layers. I then potted the whole thing in wax. With a ZVS driver and 70 volts in, I got something like 4" sparks out. I used 30AWG wire and had a few hundred turns I think.
1174365071 51 FT20942 Dsc00913
Part Scavenger
Sat Mar 24 2007, 03:09AM
Part Scavenger Registered Member #79 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 11:35AM
I made one a while back. The inside of trash CD's fits perfectly on the spool, I then made a core of tranparency film, it was very nice.

Also about the sparking between pins, try turning the Screen and (can't remember the other one) Pots down, that usually cuts down on the arcing.
1174705781 79 FT20942 100 4271
Tonic
Sat Mar 24 2007, 01:40PM
Tonic Registered Member #528 Joined: Fri Feb 16 2007, 10:32PM
Also I've made two weeks ago an homemade secondary winding. I've used ~0.4mm thick wire and half-transparent foil I bought in garden shop. If I remember correctly, I did made 5-6 layers, each has something around 65 coils, so, overall number of them would be like 325-390, giving ratio from 1: 32.5 to 1:39. I don't know if I calculate correctly, but with 40V input at load the output is equal to 1.3-1.5kV. Arc ignities at 2-4mm distance and stretchs to 6-7cm. It may not look great, but the current is horrible! Arc is very bright, enough to make me thinking about welding goggles. Even this arc melts steel.

And the conclusion is that I need to increase ratio in order to obtain higher output voltage and decrease output current. Well, the good thing about selfmade secondaries is that you can made in way that prevents from breaking high voltage insulation. The good idea would be buying big and tall U ferrite core, but it's hard to find and the prices ain't sound funny. (Two pieces of U100 cores costs in my town about 20 euros).

What do you think about painting coils?
 1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: