Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
wpk5008 (34)

Next birthdays
05/09 Alfons (36)
05/09 Coronafix (51)
05/09 AmonRa (44)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Flyback Driver inside a PC PSU box

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Dr. Dark Current
Wed Jan 31 2007, 12:06PM Print
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
Hi all, I want to make a flyback driver that will fit incl. the flyback in a PC PSU box. Now I'm wondering if it is a bad thing that the flyback will be inside a metal box, will the metal "steal" power from the flyback? (I don't know much about magnetics ill )
J. Aaron Holmes
Wed Jan 31 2007, 12:35PM
J. Aaron Holmes Registered Member #477 Joined: Tue Jun 20 2006, 11:51PM
Transformers and CRTs (generally implies flybacks) are found in metal enclosures all the time. I wouldn't think it would be a problem; the vast majority of the flux you care about is going to be in the flyback's metal core. Now, if you were talking big air-core reactors, then you might have to start worrying about induction-heating your PC case.

Of course, putting anything HV in a metal box means there are a lot more places the HV *could* go besides where you intended smile

Regards,
Aaron, N7OE
TheMerovingian
Wed Jan 31 2007, 12:53PM
TheMerovingian Registered Member #14 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:04PM
I have done this. Housed a royer flyback driver in a metal psu casing (separate ground of course)

RoyerFlyback

Some static is possible, if you don't ground the casing.
Dr. Dark Current
Wed Jan 31 2007, 01:29PM
J. Aaron Holmes wrote ...

Transformers and CRTs (generally implies flybacks) are found in metal enclosures all the time. I wouldn't think it would be a problem; the vast majority of the flux you care about is going to be in the flyback's metal core. Now, if you were talking big air-core reactors, then you might have to start worrying about induction-heating your PC case.

Of course, putting anything HV in a metal box means there are a lot more places the HV *could* go besides where you intended smile

Regards,
Aaron, N7OE
Insulation is not a big problem, output voltage is only about 15kv. I will remove the 230V output plug, cover the hole with some plastic, dig a hole in the centre of the plastic and thread the HV wire through it.
Yes, some flybacks in crt's are in metal enclosure, but there they do not work at too high powers, I guess around 50w for a standard flyback. My flyback is going to operate over 300w so I was wondering that if I screw it to the metal case (so the core will be really close to the case), the flyback could inductive heat the case and decrease performance.
Steve Ward
Wed Jan 31 2007, 05:25PM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
My flyback is going to operate over 300w so I was wondering that if I screw it to the metal case (so the core will be really close to the case), the flyback could inductive heat the case and decrease performance.

The only possible location for induction to surrounding materials is at the gap in the core. But, the gap is usually so tiny, that the flux doesnt extend out from the core much at all. Otherwise, 99% of the magnetic flux is going to be contained within the ferrite, no worries about induction heating the case.

I dont suspect your flyback will last long at 300W, though.
Dr. Dark Current
Wed Jan 31 2007, 06:12PM
Steve Ward wrote ...

My flyback is going to operate over 300w so I was wondering that if I screw it to the metal case (so the core will be really close to the case), the flyback could inductive heat the case and decrease performance.

The only possible location for induction to surrounding materials is at the gap in the core. But, the gap is usually so tiny, that the flux doesnt extend out from the core much at all. Otherwise, 99% of the magnetic flux is going to be contained within the ferrite, no worries about induction heating the case.

I dont suspect your flyback will last long at 300W, though.
In my design the core does not use a gap, so I guess it is fine then ;)

I was very lucky to get such a "killer" flyback, it gets just little warm after operating a Jacob's ladder for few minutes at full power shades (300w is only at max. arc lenght, so I guess the average power is more like 200w)

Of course when I get it finished, I'll post some scary arc pictures smile
Dr. Dark Current
Sun Feb 04 2007, 12:41PM
Oh well, my flyback is now ruined frown . A nice yellow light is shining from the inside of the secondary. I had the driver nearly finished, built into the pc psu case, when the flyback arced inside the secondary. I have one (different) secondary left that I will try, but I think it will make nowhere as nice arcs as the one that just burned.

edit> the new secondary is not as bad as I expected, the arcs are a little shorter, but "idle" current was decreased as well as driver heating. I will post pics after the driver is finished.
Dr. Dark Current
Mon Feb 05 2007, 04:22PM
It is done smile the flyback is really AMAZING find, puts out scary flaming arcs, almost like a small mot rolleyes ,but it gets just little warm after minutes of abuse.
pics
the box of death tongue :
1170692336 152 FT20246 Flyback1

inside
1170692383 152 FT20246 Flyback2

mot-like arcs:
1170692419 152 FT20246 Flybackarc1
that arc is like 12cm long

1170692449 152 FT20246 Flybackarc2
Tue Feb 06 2007, 02:16AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
Meh, you need to switch over to a mazzilli driver and my homewound flyback...
1146885862 56 FT0 02

I just need to solve that little problem that the fets release their m4g1c 5m0k3 at 120v instead of at 200v (so I can run it off fullwave rectified mains) angry It would fit in a computer psu case, but I would have to use oil arround the flyback/doubler since sparks can start at ~2" (tracking)

But making it small and self conatined like that is pretty sweet!
ragnar
Tue Feb 06 2007, 04:26AM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
That's the way! =-D
1170735981 63 FT20246 Arc3straight

1170735981 63 FT20246 Arc5curly

1170735981 63 FT20246 Arc9straight

1170735981 63 FT20246 Arc16curly
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: