Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Vaxian (17)

Next birthdays
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
05/22 Skynet (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Computer Science
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Genetic programming

Move Thread LAN_403
Bjørn
Wed Jan 17 2007, 04:26AM Print
Bjørn Registered Member #27 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 02:20AM
I have developed the pseudo random generator search program to a genetic algorithm where each gene is a machine code instruction. It evolves the solution to a function expressed in the source code of the program. It works quite well for many simple functions and some times discovers solutions that are not completely obvious. For example it finds optimal solutions to functions like R0=R0*164 without problems:
ADD R1,R0,R0,LSL #2
ADD R0,R0,R1,LSL #3
MOV R0,R0,R0,LSL #2

As expected there is a fundamental problem that puts a serious limit on how well it works on non trivial functions. The genes have these properties:
1. Changing all bits in a gene might not change the function of the gene.
2. Changing just one bit may change the function completely.

This means that the search space is not smooth at all and contains many walls that requires several very unlikely mutations to traverse. To put it another way, a gene that gives a near perfect result may be completely wasted because the perfect result may require a completely different gene. and the evolution will be stuck at a false optimum until mutations happen to traverse the wall. To make things worse getting stuck at a false optimum causes the genetic variation to sink as most genes are slowly replaced by genes of the same type as the false optimum, this makes progress even less likely.

So any changes that smooth out the search space by even a small amount will cause a large improvement in efficiency. Using machine code instructions directly as genes seems like a particularly bad idea, something more abstract like reverse Polish notation will probably work a lot better but be far more complex since it will require several additional steps to end up with optimal machine code.
Madgyver
Wed Jan 17 2007, 06:36AM
Madgyver Registered Member #177 Joined: Wed Feb 15 2006, 02:16PM
Interesting, what scheme are you particulary using? Do you use 1 individual and mutate it until the solution fits, or do you use a bunch of individuals and let them recombine?
Bjørn
Wed Jan 17 2007, 07:00AM
Bjørn Registered Member #27 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 02:20AM
I have 2048 programs with N instructions in each, usually N=4 since it is enough to do interesting things and still does not take days to complete.

I compare the output from each program with the target function, then I sort the programs after how well they fit.

The plan was to let the most fit programs reproduce and over write the least fit ones, but that did not work well. The result was lots of upper class snobs with very little genetic variation and there were no progress. So instead I just select two and two instructions by random to breed new instructions. The mutation stage inverts 0.1% of the bits on random.

Then I repeat the process until the fit is 100% or I get tired of waiting.
JimG
Thu Jan 18 2007, 02:05AM
JimG Registered Member #52 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:22AM
I tried my hand at genetic programming almost a decade ago and found it to be a lot harder to get working than a genetic algorithm. You seem to have run into the same problems that I did. Your fitness function could send you in the wrong direction and changing a single bit can generate wildly different values.

To get around the issue of changing a single bit causing major changes I used a tree where a node could be a math operation, memory operation, or constant value. Since math or memory operations would create or destroy new nodes then they were set to a lower change percentage. This also meant that the program size was not constant and reproduction was asexual. RPN might work just as well as a tree.

My fitness function also had to take into account different aspects of fitness. For instance one of the programs I was trying to do was a sort algorithm, so I had to check how well sorted the values were, if the values changed, and how many of the new values were in the original set.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: