Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
wpk5008 (34)

Next birthdays
05/09 Alfons (36)
05/09 Coronafix (51)
05/09 AmonRa (44)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

IONS penetrate glass?

Move Thread LAN_403
CM
Fri Jan 05 2007, 06:49PM Print
CM Banned on April 7, 2007
Registered Member #277 Joined: Fri Mar 03 2006, 10:15AM
Goggled this for over two hours, still looking for definitive answer, so once again I'm posting here where the smart people hangout. I realize that radiation penetrates through glass, example, radiation penetrates the glass detection tube in a geiger counter and ionizes the gas inside the tube. However, do IONS penetrate through glass? Thanks in advance. CM

Link2
Steve Ward
Fri Jan 05 2007, 07:01PM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
If they are moving fast enough, i dont see why not. But, i think the ions that most of us generate have far too low energy to get through materials like that.

Link2

Check out the lichtenberg theory page (should have a link in the top left corner). He basically uses an accelerator to shoot electrons into the acrylic. Id imagine you could do this with any partical, but its probably far easier for electrons as they are smaller. Trying to do it with big ions is probably *much* harder. Most penetrating radiation is also small stuff (electrons, protons...) except for example alpha (He nucleus), which from what i remember has a hard time penetrating much of anything.

So for the practical experimenter, my guess is that its just about impossible for ions to pass through glass (unless you work with a LINAC for your day job).
Steve Conner
Sat Jan 06 2007, 11:53AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Sort of. If you fired a beam of ions at glass, it most likely wouldn't go through. However, glass is made of ionic compounds. If you put a high DC voltage across a piece of glass for a long time, the ions can sort of leach around, almost like electrolysis in really slow motion. If you heat glass to red hot, the ions can move a lot easier and it actually starts to conduct quite well. You can pass enough current through a heated glass rod to light a 120V bulb from wall current.
Dr. Shark
Wed Jan 24 2007, 04:02PM
Dr. Shark Registered Member #75 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 09:30AM
For practical purposes, I would also answer the question with a firm no. The smallest ions that come to my mind are alpha-rays, and common knowledge holds that these can be held up by something as thin as a piece of paper. Any ions that we crazy people create will be much larger (alpha particles are completey stripped of electrons) so they get stuck more easily, and they will also move a lot slower (most alphas have kinetic energies far in the Megavolts).
Bored Chemist
Wed Jan 24 2007, 06:49PM
Bored Chemist Registered Member #193 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 07:04AM
The glass window of a geiger is a pretty practical purpose if you ask me. OK alpha detectors generally use mica but the He ions will go through glass. This was how they were identified as He nuclei in the first place. OTOH you need very thin glass and very fast ions. Of course, there's always the philosophy that if MeV won't do it then try GeV but I don't think anyone here has a cyclotron. wink

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: