Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

New ISSTC with discrete GDT driver

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Reaching
Tue Dec 26 2006, 01:58PM Print
Reaching Registered Member #76 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 10:04AM
okay, a few days ago i started my newest project which will be a fun project to play around with. long ago i had the wish to build a sstc without using driver ics etc but with no luck. now i experimented a bit and came up with a nice discrete driver.

the driver for this 11x22cm secondary has several features such as a onboard interrupter and a very exact adjustable oscillator. cause i run the bridge with halfwave rectified mains i dont have the possibility of building a functional feedback without using an antenna or something. so i decided to use a normal adjustable oscillator.

it is adjustable from 230 to 500khz and is very sensitive. a trim pot for phase adjustment is also onboard to adjust a 50/50 duty cycle. the interupter enables the oscillator via pin 4 of the 555 timer ic which works really good. a jumper on the driver board can enable or disable the interrupter so you have a wide variety of possibilities. halfwave rectified mains on the bridge in combination with an interrupter causes in a funny variation of sparks and sounds.

the coil is just under development and i finished the driver and tested it with a bridge up to 130volts and everything seems to work very well. you get the right frequency within seconds and the fun can begin.

heres a pic of the finished driver board

Link2

the output stage is a simple push pull arrangment of a bd135/36 with a halfbridge of irf9530/irf530 in push pull configration. the output waveform without load is a nearly perfect squarewave. with gdt connected the whole circuit is drawing around 100 to 150mA. the driver mosfets are staying cool.

with 130volts input i get around 15cm streamers, but with mains voltage i hope to get around 30cm with the small coil. more to come soon

Update

The First test on mains was relatively succesful. i burnt up my test secondary, the bridge and the driver are fine. heres a video from the first real test on mains with fun factor cheesey
Link2
secondary and primary got shorted and tripped the ground safety breaker so the bridge and the other parts survived, only the primary and secondary are baked together
Tom540
Wed Dec 27 2006, 03:12AM
Tom540 Banned on 3/17/2009.
Registered Member #487 Joined: Sun Jul 09 2006, 01:22AM
That's cool, I like the simplicity. Sometimes it's more fun to have to twiddle knobs n stuff then to have everything automatic. What FET's are you using in the bridge?
Steve Conner
Wed Dec 27 2006, 12:44PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
That looks great Reaching! If it can put out enough power to set fire to itself, it's obviously working well wink
Reaching
Wed Dec 27 2006, 02:38PM
i use normal irfp460s in the halfbridge, so nothing special here, .some zeners, some tvs and a small decoupling capacitor. for the bridge i had to use a 1:2 gdt with 10primary and 22 secondary windings. cause i power my driver with only 15 volts, the gdt primary only see +-7,5volts or so,and that is not enough to drive the bridge on mains voltage.
the circuit is much forgiving , you can adjust the frequency etc within the run and nothin bad happens, even when the oscillator is running 100khz above the secondary frequency, nothing happens, you can adjust the jumper for cw mode within the run and nothing happens, and you can threw all the knobs around and have fun without blowing something up,.
to complete this project, i ordered some parts such as a nice case to make it look professional. wink the next thing i have to try out is to use the oscillator for frequenies above 1,5mhz and try to audiomodulate it (okay the 555 put out a crappy squarewave at 1,5mhz but the mosfet driver bridge should do its job, even with a sinusodial input, the bridge put out a relatively good squarewave)
Reaching
Tue Jan 02 2007, 11:42AM
okay, some new infos.

my parts arrived today and i already build a second driver solving some minor layout failures,. within the next few days i can build the electronics in the case etc to make it look like a finished project. cause i thought of selling some prototypes i made 2 longtime testruns with a lenght of 10 minutes and 30minutes, the driver and the bridge seemed to like it, no blown parts and no overheating or so (handwarm nothing more after a 30 minute run)

i tried measuring the current but i cant believe the results. i used a normal multimeter with ac current setting, but its halfwave rectified so i dont know if the readings are true. the coil draws 12A @230V when the positive halfwave is in relation to the on time periode. when the on time starts or stops before the top of the halfwave is reached the coil draws less current (around 4 to 8 A) so i calculated a approximate current draw of around 4,5A, seems very much for a small coil, and the bridge is fused with only 6,3A so im a bit in trouble, rolleyes but who cares, everything is woorking and no blown parts after a week of fiddling, playing around etc, cheesey
teravolt
Wed Jan 03 2007, 04:56AM
teravolt Registered Member #195 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 08:27PM
I like your stuff, especially your SSTC 2,3. I am trying to figure out why they have the sward like sparks and your DRSSTC has branching sparks. does anybody have any idias.
Wed Jan 03 2007, 05:24AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
Long live the ISSTC!

Good luck with the high(er) freuiency coil!

@teravolt:
The sstc streamers are sword like because they run off fullwave rectified AC, which is just like a vttc. Most all almost cw coils that have >3" sparks will exhibit this behavior. The DRSSTCs run are interrupted, like a SGTC, so you get the classic branched streamers. Or at least that is how I have thought it was...
Tom540
Wed Jan 03 2007, 08:19PM
Tom540 Banned on 3/17/2009.
Registered Member #487 Joined: Sun Jul 09 2006, 01:22AM
I was thinkng it might have someting to do with frequency as well. At least on my coils. My higher freq lashup coil (700KHz) had sword streamers even though it was interupted but my lower 200KHz coil also interupted had the branchy type. All my coild run off full wave rectified DC or a full bridge doubler.
Reaching
Sat Jan 06 2007, 09:16PM
finished the whole project today and put it on my site.

Link2

okay, its in german but the pictures say everything. click on the pics to view them in full size
Marko
Sat Jan 06 2007, 10:54PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
I can't see any pictures neither in IE or firefox frown
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: