Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

DIY hotplate

Move Thread LAN_403
Tue Jan 16 2007, 03:12AM Print
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
Well, as some of you know that I am just kinda sorta a laser nut. And that I have taken up mounting high power laser diode bars.

Well, this doesn't require too many tools (compared to other laser related things), but you do need a hotplate. It doesn't need to be all that fancy, it just needs to keep the laser at about 110c to melt the solder while I do my magic.

But, I didn't have any hotplates. So originally I took a 2" peltier and thermal epoxied it to a smallish CPU heatsink, and a piece of aluminum. Hooked it up to a source of 12v/3a and it worked great for the first ~25hrs. But then something bad happeend and it stopped working, wouldn't draw any power. So I took it apart and messed with it for a little while, and it worked for another hour or so. And then died again, so I did a little surgery and managed to get 3/4 of it working. But the truth was that it was dead.

So then I tried the peltier again, but this one only lasted about an hour.

So, since I try not to kill >2 pielters in a 20hr period, (and didn't have any more) and I still had 8 hours left on the extended weekend (presidents day) so I started looking around in my room to see what I could make a hotplate out of. I had my thermal epoxy, computer psu, and then I noticed some typeK thermocouple wire. So I read the resistance on that and it turned out to be prefect (about 1ohm/foot) so I decided to get to work.

First, I took some teflon insulated wire I had, (no melting wire for me this time) and soldered it to the thermocouple wire (2 elements, a 30w and a 150w for heatup and keeping it warm) and since I couldn't find my kapton (high temp electrical tape that sticks to everything) tape I wrapped the joints in some plumber teflon tape.
1168914053 56 FT0 Img 2019 1168914098 56 FT0 Img 2020
Then I used some CA to hold the wire down to the hotplate from my peltier experiments, and some loctite 384 thermal glue stuff (it is supposed to soften at 90c, so the CA is there to hold the wire in place) was applies liborously, while putting cellophane tape as I went to keep it in place and allow me to work it in. Once I was done I sandwiched it between another 1/4" aluminum plate and clamped it between 2 small vices, and hooked up the 1ohm winding to the 12v rail of a computer psu. Then I had the insight to embed a small tpyeK thermocouple in with the power wires so I could keep an eye on the temp.

1168914380 56 FT0 Img 2021

So after letting it bake at 220f for 20 minutes (one tv show minus commercials) I pulled it all apart, took off the tape, and cleaned it up a little
1168915991 56 FT0 Img 2023 1168916168 56 FT0 Img 2024

And the only thing left to do was attach it to a heat sink (since if it was out in the open it would take FOREVER to cool down from 240f to 140f when I could touch it again) but I wanted to keep the heatsink somewhat cool so I could move the assembly around. So I ended up loosely taping the plate down to a cpu heastink.

hotplate with a 50w 808nm diode that is in the process o being soldered up, and a shot of the finished laser with 50a running through it shining into an (uncalibrated sad ) power meter. Those 14awg wire start to smoke after a few minutes, I need to find a way to connect some #6 wires to the #2 screws before I can really test out the diodes.
1168916441 56 FT0 Img 2026 1168916566 56 FT0 Img 2027

And I managed to mount up not one, but 2 more diodes before dinner tongue I could have fit 2 more in after, but I ended up writing this, doing homework, and hopefully making some new cables for the lasers.
peter

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: