Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

HV Cap discharge by series of fast pulses?

Move Thread LAN_403
CM
Fri Dec 08 2006, 10:14AM Print
CM Banned on April 7, 2007
Registered Member #277 Joined: Fri Mar 03 2006, 10:15AM
I have a HV cap charged to about 3kv. Does anybody know of a device (ala SCR,etc) capable of releasing the cap energy in a series of short pulses, about 300 ns for each pulse duration? ie: the HV cap energy being released over a period of several seconds (or more) by several thousand On/Off pulses, each pulse with a voltage pulse width of about 300 ns? Tried VERY tightly spaced spark gap, but as you might expect, all the energy is released in one spark. CM
Sulaiman
Fri Dec 08 2006, 11:58AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
I doubt you will find any common switching device capable of what you are asking for,
switching a 300 ns pulse from 3 kV would need a device capable of enormous dv/dt
the nearest I can imagine is a hydrogen thyratron with some kind of resonant network.

Intrigued by your mystery project;
there are some very smart people on this forum
with more information I think you'd get more specific help
unless it's toooo secret.
Tesladownunder
Fri Dec 08 2006, 02:57PM
Tesladownunder Registered Member #10 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 09:45AM
If you really have a rotary spark gap with the right spacing (which I doubt) then simply use a low inductance resistor in series with value calculated to give the right current for the brief on time.
A quick calculation, for my asynchronous gap running at 9000 rpm (= 150rps), with 8 electrodes of 0.4 inch, 6 inch diameter. The electrodes will pass by at 1200/sec. At 0.8 inch time each two electrodes are opposed out of the circumference of 18 inches this gives an "on" time of 0.8/(150*18) = 0.0003 sec or 300us.
This is 1000 times too slow for you. This is a fearsome gap already so you can't really run it faster.
Use needle electrodes and you can drop the 0.8 inch to 0.1 inch but not much smaller as 3kv will jump further. So you have a 50us spacing which is still 120 times too slow.

So what else can you do. Probably a big transmitting valve dropping it through a resistor. I have one that runs up to 30MHz, stands off 12kV and is rated at 60kW.

Note that 1000 impules from a 1000J cap is only 1 joule per shot but 300ns would mean peak power is 3MW.

Peter
Conundrum
Sat Dec 09 2006, 04:09PM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Hmm. My guess is either some radio based device or perhaps plasma experiments.

-A

Bert
Sun Dec 10 2006, 03:50AM
Bert Registered Member #118 Joined: Fri Feb 10 2006, 05:35AM
Hmm.. it sounds like you might need two switches - one to briefly connect the main cap to an interim storage device (such as a small capacitor (~1/3000 the value of the main cap), a PFN, or a short length of transmission line), and another to switch the charged cap, PFN, or X-line, to the load. This could be a specially designed multi-pole rotary spark gap (although 3kV is on the low side), or a hard tube modulator (to charge the interim store) and a thyratron to actually discharge it through the load. What type of load are you trying to drive?
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Sun Dec 10 2006, 05:25AM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
I have a Quantel PU430 YAG drive thats capable of switching almost 3kv in several hundred micro seconds. Maybe if you could find a schematic of that somewhere it could help you get close.
CM
Mon Dec 11 2006, 02:32PM
CM Banned on April 7, 2007
Registered Member #277 Joined: Fri Mar 03 2006, 10:15AM
Guys:

How about the attached circuit I found on the net for creating super fast pulses? Comments? I need 300 ns pulses. CM
1165847527 277 FT18770 Pulsecircuit2

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: