Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Flyback driver on mains?

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Dr. Dark Current
Thu Nov 30 2006, 06:20PM Print
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
What I want is a self-tuning half-bridge flyback driver, that will run directly from rectified mains. I know this is possible and probably an easy circuit. I remember older PC PSUs that had a kind of startup circuit that worked in that way. When you removed the ferrite transformer (thus disconnecting all low-voltage stuff) and connected a flyback primary where the original primary was, the flyback made pretty decent and very hot arcs.I remember seeing a self-tuning half-bridge flyback driver schematic here on 4hv, I believe it was made by cbfull, maybe it could be used with some modifications to run directly from mains? I know asking for schematics is against rules, so any ideas are appreciated.

thanks, J.M. smile

EDIT> Found the circuit smile click Any ideas how to modify it would be great!
cbfull
Fri Dec 01 2006, 09:53PM
cbfull Registered Member #187 Joined: Thu Feb 16 2006, 02:54PM
Yes that was me. I've been digging through my archives to find the file. I have a paper schematic in front of me but not the file. It works quite nice, nice enough that I will not be using push-pull anymore. I have tried it on both half and full bridge with great results. I had to do a LOT of research and reconfiguration to get this circuit. I plan to scale it up to air core when I get some work space.

I'll get it to you as soon as I can find it.

Thanks for the mention!

Edit- Oops, looks like you found it! They key to getting the bridge to self-tune is gate blocking capacitors, and the pull-up resistors are necessary to make it self-starting. It's a really great circuit. I was even a bit reluctant to share it, but then I "got over myself". I hope you get some great results.

I am sending you the app note that got me on the right track. I'll link to it if there is any interest.

Keep me updated!
Dr. Dark Current
Sat Dec 02 2006, 08:09AM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
cbfull wrote ...

Thanks for the mention!

Edit- Oops, looks like you found it! They key to getting the bridge to self-tune is gate blocking capacitors, and the pull-up resistors are necessary to make it self-starting. It's a really great circuit. I was even a bit reluctant to share it, but then I "got over myself". I hope you get some great results.

I am sending you the app note that got me on the right track. I'll link to it if there is any interest.

Keep me updated!
Do you think that just increasing the value of the base pull-up resistors will work to run it from mains? Or maybe some isolated low power low voltage power supplies will work to supply current to the transistor bases? I'm also quite unsure about how many feedback turns to use.
Thanks for your help! cheesey
Marko
Sat Dec 02 2006, 09:44AM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
If I remember, very old OSRAM energy saver bulbs used a similar circuit with BUT11A's.

They also got some kind of small 3:3:5 base drive transformer wich now believe to be a current transformer.

Advantag of halfbridge is that devices never see more than supply voltage and you can run such a circuit under 230V mains with 500V devices. (with royer you would need 1200 or so V MOSFET's or IGBT's wich spoils the fun).

Problem I see here is that primary part itself isn't resonant, and base drive is hard to get well since coupling is low, so I expect to see quite big losses with that circuit; low operating current may help but even those saver bulbs running at some 10 watts did get very hot.

I was thinking if such a circuit could be maxed up by adding a series resonant capacitor and big iron powder choke on + supply?

Cfbull, do yu have any pics or data of working circuit over there?
RickR
Mon Dec 04 2006, 05:42PM
RickR Registered Member #93 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:11PM
CBFULL:

I'd be interested in the app note link, if you wouldn't mind posting it.

Thanks,

Rick
cbfull
Mon Dec 04 2006, 06:32PM
Sorry for the delay, I realized that all my files were here at work, so I had to wait.

Firkragg, why do you say that the coupling is low? It should be the same as it is with any of the other flyback circuits (push-pull, single transistor, etc.), it uses the same feedback windings on the same ferrite core, just different circuitry.

The only picture I have is of a 12" plasma globe operating at reduced pressure with argon, didn't take any of the rat's nest I made. The picture of the globe is nice, but that's at home! I'll see if I can get it posted.

Here is the pdf of the App Note that got me started. Keep me updated on your findings.

] 1165257075_187_FT18570_an1329_self_oscillating_res onant_cfls.pdf[/file]
Marko
Mon Dec 04 2006, 07:20PM
Yup, that's exactly the same circuit I talked about Link2

And I fear you might be in trouble running such circuit at considerable power levels without any resonant cpacitor, firstly because transistors will suffer heavy losses since they are hard switching, with poor base drive signal since feedback windings still have relatively low coupling.

Also, it seems that such a circuit is much more likely to follow core-saturation oscillation (just like '3055 driver) than fundamental frequency of flyback because it's Q factor is low (unless it's tuned for it).

With compact lamps at some 10 watts and tiny currents both of these aren't problematic, and for driving small stuff like plasma gloes circuit is OK.

As described in app, circuit works that way that it gets triggered by RC and diac, and goes into high-Q, high frequency oscillation with small capacitor placed over lamp therminals (since lamp yet repreents open circuit).

Secondary voltage rings up to kilovolts and filaments get hot from tank curent.

Lamp then strikes, lowers the frequency and Q greatly so circuit falls into lossy 'core saturation' oscillation wich is essential here in order to keepsome kind of reactance between circuit and lamp.

If circuit continued to resonate it would blow itself up from overcurrent.

I had an idea to use similar circuit, with a series resonant cap with flyback priamry.

This would require big choke on supply rails to act as a current source, although I don't know how well would it work.

In that case circuit would operate in ZCS and hopefully have minimal losses, although it's a just theoretial circuit for now.

vasil
Mon Dec 04 2006, 08:22PM
vasil Registered Member #229 Joined: Tue Feb 21 2006, 07:33PM
This is exactly the schema I wanted to use in a SSTC (didn't work because wrong RC values in the diac circuit). I was inspired by Mazzilli Vladimiro that used it for a small but working SSTC. The schematic is here:

http://www.pupman.com/current/vladi2/index.html

Look in pdf files at mosfet.pdf (paralleled fets for higher current).

It works at least for air core SSTCs.
cbfull
Mon Dec 04 2006, 08:53PM
It's starting to make sense. I can see that we will start running into problems as we push more power into this circuit. Notice that the drawing below does not have the diac start-up circuit as in some of the App Notes. That's the purpose of the base blocking capacitors and the pull-up resistors.

I wanted the circuit to function as close to the classic push-pull as possible, so that I could keep all variables (components) consistent between the two types and evaluate performance. It's been a while since I ran it but it worked beautifully with bipolars, both half and full versions.

The one thing I remember is that I had to put twice the supply voltage to the H-bridge (full) to get the same output. This I did not expect but I assumed that it was because with two switches on during one swing, the switches may be adding resistances as though they are in a series circuit. The next logical step would then be to double up each switch to cut the resistance in half, but since I was using bipolars I didn't want to waste my time. I'll wait for the MOSFET version.

Here are my original sketches. I have only used it with bipolars powering my bigger plasma globe (it was grossly overdriven and the central terminal wire started to burn a hole in the glass. I jumped out of my seat and shut off the power before it burned all the way through.

Bipolar half and full drawing without component values:

1165264517 187 FT18570 Half And Fullbridge Bipolar Work In Progress

I also redrew the circuit with MOSFETs in place of the bipolars, but I was not sure what to make of the gate capacitors since the FETs already have tiny capacitors built in. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for all your comments guys.

EDIT- I should mention that the circuit in question is figure 7 in the app notes.
Marko
Mon Dec 04 2006, 08:53PM
How you intended to limit the current, and also be in tune with secondary?

My guess would be, that with so low coupling to secondary circuit would start to oscillate with it's primary circuit, with virtually no impedance and destroy itself. (Or was the saturation of ferrite core dictating the oscillation, if so, coil would be impossible to tune).

I was looking for some kind of such small halfbridge converter, wich would be ideal for small unregulated SMPS's; up to some 25 watts of power, simple saver-bulb configuration may even work well; but I would really like something powerful wich I wouldn't need 1200V devices in order to run from 240V mains!

cfbull: generally, bipolars are better bang/buck for such low power systems; equivalent mosfets used in CFL's have ON resistances in order of few ohms and probably aren't much more efficient than bipolars at that power level.

Only thing I think that needs to be done is to somehow employ soft switching topology; it would automatically allow much more power trough the circuit.

I found some more saver bulbs. They all use practically same topology with little differences in circuits: Link2 Link2

1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: