Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Spark time duration

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
CM
Sun Dec 03 2006, 09:46PM Print
CM Banned on April 7, 2007
Registered Member #277 Joined: Fri Mar 03 2006, 10:15AM
I'll bet someone has discussed this before but I can't find it in the archives. I'd like to know the time duration of a spark jumping a 1cm spark gap, ie: how many nanoseconds does the spark exist? I realize there are 100 and 1 variables such as humidity, oxygen content of the air, the diameter of the spark gap spheres, and the question is broad, but anybody venture to make an educated guess or point me to a chart somewhere that shows this info? Yes, I googled it too, but nothing definative. Thanks in advance. CM
Avalanche
Sun Dec 03 2006, 09:54PM
Avalanche Registered Member #103 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:16PM
I would think it is simply 'as long as the power supply can sustain it'.
You need to reach the breakdown voltage for the spark to initially strike, that's determined by a number of factors as you mentioned, but to sustain it you need to keep a current flowing...
CM
Sun Dec 03 2006, 10:34PM
CM Banned on April 7, 2007
Registered Member #277 Joined: Fri Mar 03 2006, 10:15AM
Sorry, I should have been clearer. Assuming the spark events are seperated in time, ie: one spark jumps a 1 cm gap (two spheres compose the gap) about every 5 seconds, I am wondering how many nanoseconds the spark exists. Odd question I know, but maybe someone might have this info. The U.S. goverment pays millions to study the mating habits of the purple peckered termite during full moonlit nights, I assume somebody somewhere has looked into spark durations at sometime, just wondering if anyone knows where I might find that info smile Thanks. CM
Avalanche
Sun Dec 03 2006, 10:49PM
Avalanche Registered Member #103 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:16PM
Hmm, unless I don't quite understand what you're asking, I'll stick by my original answer.
The only reason a spark would extinguish in the first place would be because the power is removed or reduced, which is usually a tank capacitor discharging through the spark gap. When that happens, the spark cannot re-initiate until the breakdown voltage is reached once again, so you get the rhythmic sparking. In this case, the duration of each spark would depend mostly on the capacitance of the capacitor bank.
Simon
Mon Dec 04 2006, 12:13AM
Simon Registered Member #32 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 08:58AM
Yes, CM, this is kind of a "how long is a piece of string?" question.

You'd only be able to look at special cases, like lightning strikes, Marx generators, etc, and find rough typical values.

Maybe you could look at different aspects of sparks, like formation.
Colin 99
Mon Dec 04 2006, 01:20AM
Colin 99 Registered Member #192 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 03:08AM
What is the source of the high voltage?

Tesladownunder
Mon Dec 04 2006, 11:17AM
Tesladownunder Registered Member #10 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 09:45AM
Here is my take on what happens. Take it with a grain of salt as I made most of it up.

The spheres have a capacitance of a few pF which will discharge rapidly limited by the resistance of the arc and the inductance of the 1cm path giving a discharge at a guess in 10's of ns.
What follows should be some ringing between the inductance of the path and capacitance of the spheres. with the ring down dependent on the resistance of the arc channel which is dependent on temperature and presumably total current that passes in that short time. Probably a few cycles of the same period ie another 20 - 30ns.

After that current flow will depend on the ability of the supply to give a current limited output. Consider DC first.
If the supply is terminated in a capacitor then current is delivered in a burst as the capacitor is discharged. This is slower and more likely to take microseconds rather than nanoseconds but after that there is no current flow while the cap recharges. The stored energy will give a bright single blue spark. It will also ring for a bit in the following microseconds or more.
If the supply is terminated in an inductor the current comes in slower again, in milliseconds and persists longer, also with ringing. It will resist breaking as this would interrupt the magnetic field of the inductor. The arc is soft, quiet and purple (or orange if sodium is present).
If the supply is terminated with a resistor the current can continue to be supplied slowly continuously. Average current is low. The arc is softer and more easily extinguished.

An AC supply is similar provided things happen in a timeframe less than the period of the AC. 50Hz AC will be different to 100kHz of a TC. The spark channel remains ionised for perhaps hundreds of nanoseconds after the spark passes but remains hot and a preferred path for a new spark for some milliseconds.

Peter
(Tesla-never-answer-a-simple- yes-or-no-downunder)
Pic shows a ringing spark of a TC at 100kHz viewed with a streak camera. The ringing originates from the TC rather than the gap and is a bit different to what I am talking about but helps give you the idea.

1165231029 10 FT18670 Hvrotmirrorteslabigspark1singel
Fusion
Mon Dec 11 2006, 09:28PM
Fusion Registered Member #354 Joined: Thu Mar 30 2006, 10:12AM
I read that discharge through a spark gap happens until discharge of capacitors to an about 40% of breakdown voltage. Also I read that arc impedance goes to 0 as more current came in, so the spark duration may be driven by overall impedance. If you use an inductor, tha capacitor bank plus inductor make an oscillation (w^2=1/LC): it can be good in order to avoid to electrode be electron empty.
The spark gap also stores a lot of energy because low induction but lots of amps E=0.5*L*I^2.
If you set a serial inductor L1 to a spark gap: L2 then the energy stored (and released) at spark gap will be reduced to a factor= L2/(L1+L2)

I hope it is useful smile
Sulaiman
Tue Dec 12 2006, 12:51PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
Maybe the question you're really asking is - how brief can a spark be?
Using special spark gaps and co-axial capacitors - tens of nanoseconds is the answer.
Small value capacitance with minimal series inductance in the discharge loop is required.
psychop
Mon Jan 08 2007, 01:35PM
psychop Registered Member #83 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 12:15PM
Look at TEA Laser keyword on the internet. Transverse Electrical discharge in Air - this is basically to get as short
duration sparks as possible. Involves minimum inductance, etc.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: